Corporal punishment in schools should be abolished

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014

states.png

states-8th-grade.png

Does using violence make better students? I would prefer that this barbaric practice be done away with. Maybe a compromise would give parents a choice on what punishments the school would administer.

No, local school districts should end the practice of their own volition, motivated by the understanding that corporal punishment serves no useful purpose, and only reinforces the notion that violence is a legitimate means of conflict resolution.

No, local school districts should end the practice of their own volition, motivated by the understanding that corporal punishment serves no useful purpose, and only reinforces the notion that violence is a legitimate means of conflict resolution.

That would be the ideal evolution.

I wasn't aware schools were still doing this in the 21st century. No wonder we're so fucked up.
Isn't it great to know, if you're a kid not subject to abuse at home you still have a chance at school. Land of opporfuckintoonity.

A teacher tried it on me ONCE. That was all it took. Yeah, I got expelled for awhile but she never tried it again when I returned.

When my kid was in school, I told them if they touched my kid, I would be touching them and they wouldn't like it.

Teachers have no right to physically punish a child. Children go to school to learn. They don't need some schmuck taking the role of parent. That is the parents job. Period. No exceptions.

Violence is a legitimate means of conflict resolution.

Is President Obama going to air drop you into ISIS territory so that you can bore the terrorists to surrender?

I don't know why it wasn't done away with 300 years ago.

"The usual lazy and short way by chastisement and the rod, which is the only instrument of government that tutors generally know, or ever think of, is the most unfit of any to be us’d in education... Such a sort of slavish discipline makes a slavish temper. The child submits, and dissembles obedience, whilst the fear of the rod hangs over him; but when that is remov’d, and by being out of sight, he can promise himself impunity, he gives the greater scope to his natural inclination; which by this way is not at all alter’d, but, on the contrary, heighten’d and increas’d in him; and after such restraint, breaks out usually with the more violence; or,
If severity carry’d to the highest pitch does prevail, and works a cure upon the present unruly distemper, it often brings in the room of it a worse and more dangerous disease, by breaking the mind; and then, in the place of a disorderly young fellow, you have a low spirited moap’d creature, who, however with his unnatural sobriety he may please silly people, who commend tame unactive children, because they make no noise, nor give them any trouble; yet at last, will probably prove as uncomfortable a thing to his friends, as he will be all his life an useless thing to himself and others."
-- John Locke; from 'Some Thoughts Concerning Education' (1693)

Unfortunately, in some US states it is still as if the enlightenment never happened.

Personally, I enjoy a good spanking... but to each her own...​

Last edited:
A teacher tried it on me ONCE. That was all it took. Yeah, I got expelled for awhile but she never tried it again when I returned.

When my kid was in school, I told them if they touched my kid, I would be touching them and they wouldn't like it.

Teachers have no right to physically punish a child. Children go to school to learn. They don't need some schmuck taking the role of parent. That is the parents job. Period. No exceptions.

The following happened at my school when I was a lad.

Every morning we had to eat what was then called an "empire breakfast". It was a vile concoction of porridge and gruel that members of our armed forces ate across what remained of the Empire. It was seen as a gesture of solidarity that school children shared in what the men defending what we benefitted from ate around the world. One morning a boy in my form refused to eat it. The schoolmaster attending the lunch hall that morning ordered him to eat it. The boy refused. The housemaster emptied his pipe into the boy's bowl and forced his face into it, making him eat it. I can't remember anyone refusing to eat it after that.

PS. I was first thrashed by my housemaster when I was seven. Thrashed so hard I had purple welts on my backside for the following week. When I got older they used to chalk the cane so that well-aimed strikes would land on freshly-bruised flesh marked by the chalk dust left by the first stroke. It used to sound like someone was firing a small-bore pistol at the ceiling. You bit your lip over it, though.

Just because it is legal in those states does not mean it is practiced at all. None of the public schools here use it. When I was a kid, the nuns would smack knuckles with a ruler. That was 35 years ago. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen it done. There was a rumor that one girl got a spanking at the office from Sister Bonaventure, but was never confirmed.

I got rapped on the knuckles with a ruler by nuns in catholic school. Had a vice principal in public school that looked like Abe Lincoln. He'd give you a choice, the paddle, or he'd tell your parents what you did wrong. It happened only twice but I took the paddle. Once the punishment was for cussing in school if you can imagine that today. This was the 50's even in California as well as Ohio. I never saw a cop in any school I went to either. There used to be enough male teachers around that were usually ex korea or ww2 vets who didn't tolerate crap from kids. Maybe we ought to fund teachers education for some of these veterans from the middle east wars? Minimum height, 5-10 or more?

my rule growing up, and my kids' rule was

Get one at school, get one at home.

Of course corporal punishment at school works.

Of course parents should have to okay it

Of course teachers who abuse should be jailed.

I was beat so much at home a paddling at school was a breeze..They finally stopped when I would turn and grin at the teachers and my parents...Beatings only made me mean and wanting to disperse that pain to others, took me 35 years to get out of that frame of mind...
I spanked my first son one time and it reminded me of the fallacy of hurting people you love to get a point across and I never raised a hand to any of my 4 kids...again.. They all turned out better than I....because of the emotional scars I still carry to this day...It fucked me up ....

I hear there is research that says corporal punishment lowers the IQ of children. Well the red states do want their kids to be dull followers. I am happy to live in a state that outlaw this barbarism.

Forum List

Back