Copyright Alert System

mutter11

Rookie
Feb 26, 2013
The "Copyright Alert System" went into effect two days ago, Feb 25th. This system, also called the "six strikes system", is meant to cut down on copyright infringement on the internet by targeting consumers rather than pirates. Media copyright groups such as the RIAA work in connection with several major internet providers, including AT&T, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, and Comcast, to monitor their customers for illegally downloading or sharing works on the internet. The copyright groups pay close attention to sharing sites such as BitTorrent. If they catch a person using one of these types of sites, the groups send a message to their internet provider. The provider can then send the customer an email warning them of their illegal usage. However, if the customer continues to visit the sites, the provider can use other tactics to deter them, such as playing a video before the user can access the site or slowing their internet connection.

Is this a fair system? Is it right to monitor and target the regular internet user?

Well, it's not a "regular Internet user" if he's going to BitTorrent, right? That's criminal activity.

Thanx for explaining it. I read the article on this in the Wall Street Journal, and it was completely incomprehensible: I don't think they WANTED readers to understand what was going on!

Well, it's a decidedly weird system, but I guess they have to fight back against copyright infringement some way or another. People copying Hollywood movies and selling them to China --- what's to defend, you know?

I guess I think people should play fair.

There are many sites that have permission to freely distribute copyrighted material. It is perfectly legal to use them. Some of the bit torrent site go beyond this and should be stopped. The problem is that going after the people who download from these sites is that the one who posted the material is not pursued. So it is ok to upload the copyrighted material because there are no consequences for doing so.

I think it is sending the wrong message but it is equally wrong to download the material so they need to go after both. I have a lot of copyrighted information - prolific writer, programmer - and I have had to go after people who used my material illegally. It is an expensive process and hardly worth doing but there is a principal involved.

China copies software and resells it - but our laws don't apply so they get away with it. China doesn't buy movies from people - they steal the movies and software themselves and then profit from it. This new trend punishes people who are watching the stolen movies and not those who stole them. The reason they do this is because the thieves are in countries that do not accept our copyright laws and so they are untouchable.

I still think it is sad that our fourth amendment rights are so easily trampled and that limitations are being placed on our first amendment rights as a result.

Before you know it we won't be able to exercise our rights.

The "Copyright Alert System" went into effect two days ago, Feb 25th. This system, also called the "six strikes system", is meant to cut down on copyright infringement on the internet by targeting consumers rather than pirates. Media copyright groups such as the RIAA work in connection with several major internet providers, including AT&T, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, and Comcast, to monitor their customers for illegally downloading or sharing works on the internet. The copyright groups pay close attention to sharing sites such as BitTorrent. If they catch a person using one of these types of sites, the groups send a message to their internet provider. The provider can then send the customer an email warning them of their illegal usage. However, if the customer continues to visit the sites, the provider can use other tactics to deter them, such as playing a video before the user can access the site or slowing their internet connection.

Is this a fair system? Is it right to monitor and target the regular internet user?

No

Well, it's not a "regular Internet user" if he's going to BitTorrent, right? That's criminal activity.

Thanx for explaining it. I read the article on this in the Wall Street Journal, and it was completely incomprehensible: I don't think they WANTED readers to understand what was going on!

Well, it's a decidedly weird system, but I guess they have to fight back against copyright infringement some way or another. People copying Hollywood movies and selling them to China --- what's to defend, you know?

How is BitTorrent illegal?

The violation of copyright law is not tied to the making of a profit in the use of the copyrighted material.
If you download a video or game from bit torrent that is copyrighted and the copyright holder has not given written permission then you are in violation of copyright laws.

If you were to copy this post and repost it on another forum you would be in violation of the copyright laws. The board has a copyright on the form of posts and the database that holds them and the writer also has a copyright on the material written. Without specific permission from the parties involved the post cannot be used - not even for personal use where no profit is made on such use.

The violation of copyright law is not tied to the making of a profit in the use of the copyrighted material.
If you download a video or game from bit torrent that is copyrighted and the copyright holder has not given written permission then you are in violation of copyright laws.

If you were to copy this post and repost it on another forum you would be in violation of the copyright laws. The board has a copyright on the form of posts and the database that holds them and the writer also has a copyright on the material written. Without specific permission from the parties involved the post cannot be used - not even for personal use where no profit is made on such use.

All my posts are copyleft.

How is BitTorrent illegal?

It's not.

Hollywood wants to punish everyone that uses it, because of "suspected piracy".
In otherwords, you can legally fileshare your own LEGAL files and still get penalized, because in their eyes, you are pirating.

TL;DR Hollywood wants you to cough up more dough; fuck consumer rights.

People pirate for reasons other than to get it for free.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Nitroz is 100% right.
People pirate for reasons other than stealing...same goes for me.
Let's take "The Walking Dead"...I am forgetful as hell, and can't seem to remember to DVR it (yes I know I can program the series)
And I do not want to watch it live because I don't want to see the damn 20 minutes of commercials.
Sooo...I go to Pirate Bay and download the torrent...takes about 3-4 minutes and they are already commercial free.
So..I in fact pay for the show via cable..so how is it stealing?

Last edited:
Nitroz is 100% right.
Let's take "The Walking Dead"...I am forgetful as hell, and can't seem to remember to DVR it (yes I know I can program the series)
And I do not want to watch it live because I don't want to see the damn 20 minutes of commercials.
Sooo...I go to Pirate Bay and download the torrent...takes about 3-4 minutes and they are already commercial free.

Okay, you are a good example, then. Obviously the producers want you to watch the commercials. One can hardly blame you for not wanting to! I never watch the versions with commercials anymore, though I get shows later after they come out, from Amazon or wherever. That is, I buy or rent them.

So ----- what happens to you with this new regulation or whatever it is? What are they going to do to you?

so what happens when i bought the album, and then i bought the 8 track and then the cassette and then the dvd. now everything is digital. I'm supposed to pay for again what i already bought 4 times?

Nitroz is 100% right.

Okay, you are a good example, then. Obviously the producers want you to watch the commercials. One can hardly blame you for not wanting to! I never watch the versions with commercials anymore, though I get shows later after they come out, from Amazon or wherever. That is, I buy or rent them.

So ----- what happens to you with this new regulation or whatever it is? What are they going to do to you?

I pay for Netflix.
I also pay for Amazon Prime (but not for the videos)
I also pay to go to the movies every once in awhile.
I also pay a cable TV bill.
I also pay for internet access.
So I download a few episodes and movies...I give them enough money already! Screw them.
At any rate - cable and traditional TV is a dead man walking. They just don't know it yet.
Same as the record labels in the 90's - they fought and scratched and tried everything to cling to forcing people to buy music only their way - well it didn't work.
And neither will this.
Internet based media is the future. They will not stop it.

I'm trying to figure out what they are threatening to do to you. They know what's being downloaded at BitTorrent, they CLAIM, and who is doing it, though I wonder if there's any truth in it. Then they go to your Internet provider and say you have to watch a propaganda film before you download anything, or you get your Internet speed slowed.

I don't know. Sounds clunky. I guess I don't actually believe any of this. For one thing, pirates will just escape sideways to some other site.

Is it right for the internet providers to slow down or interfere with your entire internet access? Or should they try to just restrict your access to the specific sites that you are getting the illegal downloads from? Is there a conceivable way to do that?

I'm trying to figure out what they are threatening to do to you. They know what's being downloaded at BitTorrent, they CLAIM, and who is doing it, though I wonder if there's any truth in it. Then they go to your Internet provider and say you have to watch a propaganda film before you download anything, or you get your Internet speed slowed.

I don't know. Sounds clunky. I guess I don't actually believe any of this. For one thing, pirates will just escape sideways to some other site.

They don't know.
They have only sent out troll legal notices that would guilt/fear people into paying a penalty fine, for the alleged content.

People could ignore it and nothing would happen.

Now they want to do a prohibition, in attempt to mitigate ALL filesharing. What if the filesharing content IS legal? They don't care. STRIKE!

but the way around that is to use a VPN. It cost a monthly fee, but is totally worth it for privacy.

Interesting point of fact.
I would agree that making profit by copying anther's work is certainly dishonest.
But the scenario where no-one is profiting?
It is in no way dishonest to review information.
There is no sale of material, there is no profit. Nothing has been stolen.

The pinko's are more threatened by unmonitored communication than anything else. The media monsters are not in it for profit, they are in it for propaganda. Why else would they churn out such vast amounts of filth? Clean, family centered media is clearly the most profitable, yet the pinko scum routinely pump out sewage.
The 60's commie warned us that this was the plan.

What's really going on here is a invasion of private communication, and the pink dinosaur media's last ditch effort to maintain control over what people see and hear.

:eusa_whistle:
Say you whistle a tune, even out of key, that somehow resembles one of the media masters propaganda hymns? You are violating their copyright aren't you?
The way they want it, all notes, A through G, are to be copyrighted?
So when does it reach the point when you are violating law when you use words© that© are© copyrighted©, or even the letters of the alphabet?

That seems to be what hollyweird is heading towards, and as ridiculous as it is, it is no surprise. Ironic, after all the decades they produced "be a degenerate, take what you want, everything is free, it takes a village" pinko garbage, the chickens come home to roost.

Still,
Media nonsense aside, you know what really is terrifying to the old parasites?
You can receive a better education from 100% "legal" torrents for free, than a university could ever give you.

Last edited:
The pinko's are more threatened by unmonitored communication than anything else. The media monsters are not in it for profit, they are in it for propaganda. Why else would they churn out such vast amounts of filth? Clean, family centered media is clearly the most profitable, yet the pinko scum routinely pump out sewage.
The 60's commie warned us that this was the plan.

Hollywood and video game makers are certainly pumping out highly violent training materials for the teens that obsess on them for hours every day, but how exactly is that a communist plan and why or how would it work, in any sense?

:eusa_whistle:
Say you whistle a tune, even out of key, that somehow resembles one of the media masters propaganda hymns? You are violating their copyright aren't you?
The way they want it, all notes, A through G, are to be copyrighted?
So when does it reach the point when you are violating law when you use words© that© are© copyrighted©, or even the letters of the alphabet?

No, copyright law is not that broad.

Media nonsense aside, you know what really is terrifying to the old parasites?
You can receive a better education from 100% "legal" torrents for free, than a university could ever give you.

I am interested in autodidacticism. How exactly would you propose people should go about this better education: that is, what content are you talking about, specifically?

Forum List

Back