Cops, Cook & Slager Shot Fleeing Suspect in the Back. Cook Hero; Slager Jailed

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
What an interesting comparison. Two cops both shoot a fleeing felon. One cop (Sgt Jay Cook, New York State Police) is hailed as a hero. The other (Michael Slager, Charleston, SC Police) is jailed on a charge of murder (South Carolina law has only one charge of murder, defined as "unlawful killing with malice aforethought"

Both felons were unarmed. Both were running away, and thus, shot in the back. In the New York case, David Sweat was a prison escapee, and a lifer convicted of murdering a cop. In the SC case, Walter Scott, had been previously arrested 10 times including for assault & battery, and had been fighting with the arresting officer.

Pretty clear that in both cases, these guys both were violent criminals, and were posing a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the community at large if they got away. So both were subject to the 1985 Tennessee v. Garner decision, which ruled that when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, he or she may not use deadly force to prevent escape unless "the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others". This makes it justifiable for the officer to shoot the fleeing suspect in the back, as he's running away (as occured in both cases).

So if these two cases are so similar, why is one guy in jail on a murder charge, and the other is being praised for good police work ? (that he really did do) There is only one contrasting difference in these two cases. In the Cook shooting, the fleeing felon was White. In the Slager shooting, the fleeing felon was Black.

Could it be that the South Carolina grand jury (with a video to prove Slager's justification) that indicted Slager, did so only because of the fear of race rioting, as had recently occured in Ferguson, MO, and Baltimore, MD ? Maybe one ought to ask, could it not be that ?

Shooting of Walter Scott - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7682898.html

There is a slim chance that a few reasonable people might detect some modicum of distinguishing characteristics in the two incidents.

"Cops, Cook & Slager Shot Fleeing Suspect in the Back. Cook Hero; Slager Jailed"

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.
This fails as a critique, having presented no reason for its judgement. Empty statement. I would be interested though in the criterea. Let's hear it.

Last edited:
One was an escaped felon who was found guilty of murder.
One was behind on child support.

One was shot by a cop who didn't come up with a BS story.
One was shot by a cop who fabricated a story.

Thread fail.

One was an ex-offender of assault & battery who committed that crime again on Officer Slager, and immediately became a FLEEING FELON.

Post fail. You had enough info in the OP, to have not posted wrong. Shame on you.

]False comparison fallacy. The trial will decide Slager's fate.
This fails as a critique, having presented no reason for its judgement. Empty statement. I would be interested though in the criterea. Let's hear it.

Last edited:
Is protection of race pandering what were seeing here ?
wtf20.gif

One was behind on child support.

One was shot by a cop who didn't come up with a BS story.
One was shot by a cop who fabricated a story.

Thread fail.

One was an ex-offender of assault & battery who committed that crime again on Officer Slager, and immediately became a FLEEING FELON.

Post fail. You had enough info in the OP, to have not posted wrong. Shame on you.

Since I didn't....I'll accept your apology.

Since I didn't....I'll accept your apology.
1. You posted wrong, and your failure to stand up straight and tall and admit it, compounds your error, which makes it now twice as bad.

2. No need for you to apologize. I don't accept apologies. They are for the benefit of the apologizer. I do accept money payments though. Bwa ha ha ha ha.

th

Why isn't Slager being freed ?

Why isn't he being hailed as a hero for stopping Scott from fleeing ? (just like Wood is)

Why isn't there an investigation of the grand jury indictment of Slager, and charges being made against those responsible for wrongdoing ?

both are dead, good shooting and good riddance. it's a shame about the cop being jailed, tho.
Probably the truth will prevail eventually, and he'll be cleared (like Zimmerman, Wilson, et al), but it's infuriating that the race hustlers are getting away with arresting cops for just doing their jobs (like the ones in Baltimore too)

Forum List

Back