Conversational Philosophy

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
'Michael Sandel and AC Grayling in conversation'

The interesting thing about philosophy is you can enjoy one philosopher and even enjoy a philosopher who has an alternate point of view. As an example John Rawls is a personal favorite, but he has lots of critics with many of whom I (partly) agree. 'Prospect' and 'American Prospect' are both excellent. AC Graying is a prolific writer on topics of life and philosophy, both he and Sandel are worth a read. Enjoy the conversation.

Michael Sandel and AC Grayling in conversation

Also. I made my selection what's yours? Discuss, but why.

What's the best philosophy? | More Intelligent Life

'Aristotle, mashed up'
'Plato's idea of flourishing'
'Hume's scepticism'
'Particularism'
'Doubt'
'Self-knowledge'

An old post related in an odd way: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/50727-who-should-rule-test.html

"Philosophers should consider the fact that the greatest happiness principle can easily be made an excuse for a benevolent dictatorship. We should replace it by a more modest and more realistic principle — the principle that the fight against avoidable misery should be a recognized aim of public policy, while the increase of happiness should be left, in the main, to private initiative." Karl Popper

One of my favorite subjects in college was anthropology, talking with people who actually traveled to remote places to see what made humans humans was always interesting. While these conversations differ a bit from philosophy they touch on the issues of who we are and why we are.

"The Yanomamö are very valuable now as a commodity. They are the largest most interesting and romanticized tribe in the entire Amazon basin, maybe in the world. They live in an area that is threatened by ecological destruction, so there are people who are interested in saving the rain forest, and people who are interested in saving the natives. And these groups collaborate with each other. Everybody wants the Yanomamö in their portfolio."

NAPOLEON CHAGNON: BLOOD IS THEIR ARGUMENT | Edge.org

"What I've discovered is that life was very much filled with terror of your neighbors, constantly in a position—sort of like Hobbes’ argument—foul weather is not a shower or two but a tendency thereto for months on end. So you always have your eye open to the frontier and try to make sure that the guys out there are on the other side of the moat."

"Big villages lord over small villages. So if you're seeking an ally who will protect you from the buggers up the hill who are bigger than you, you're at a disadvantage because in order to get allies, you've got to give women to them. It’s an economics game where the smaller village has to pay up front for the privileges of the alliance, and the bigger village tends to default on many of its agreements. So big villages tend to exploit small villages. It's always a good idea to live in a big village; however, it's like living in a powder keg."

'Michael Sandel and AC Grayling in conversation'

The interesting thing about philosophy is you can enjoy one philosopher and even enjoy a philosopher who has an alternate point of view. As an example John Rawls is a personal favorite, but he has lots of critics with many of whom I (partly) agree. 'Prospect' and 'American Prospect' are both excellent. AC Graying is a prolific writer on topics of life and philosophy, both he and Sandel are worth a read. Enjoy the conversation.

Michael Sandel and AC Grayling in conversation

Also. I made my selection what's yours? Discuss, but why.

What's the best philosophy? | More Intelligent Life

'Aristotle, mashed up'
'Plato's idea of flourishing'
'Hume's scepticism'
'Particularism'
'Doubt'
'Self-knowledge'

An old post related in an odd way: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/50727-who-should-rule-test.html

"Philosophers should consider the fact that the greatest happiness principle can easily be made an excuse for a benevolent dictatorship. We should replace it by a more modest and more realistic principle — the principle that the fight against avoidable misery should be a recognized aim of public policy, while the increase of happiness should be left, in the main, to private initiative." Karl Popper

My 'vote' is for Secular Humanism which incorporates parts of several of the choices. A brief description for those who have little understanding of this viewpoint is presented in the Amsterdam Declaration 2002, link below:

Amsterdam Declaration 2002 | International Humanist and Ethical Union

We often hear that in order to find work one must study what used to be called a trade. Trade is fancier now as it includes college and advanced studies. But suppose the trade is filled or too many prepared for the same trade? The work I have done in life was not even a thought in the mind of a sci fi writer so preparing would have been a bit difficult. So here's some solid advice that may help and will certainly help you in life. Study philosophy.

https://sites.google.com/site/whystudyphilosophy/

We often hear that in order to find work one must study what used to be called a trade. Trade is fancier now as it includes college and advanced studies. But suppose the trade is filled or too many prepared for the same trade? The work I have done in life was not even a thought in the mind of a sci fi writer so preparing would have been a bit difficult. So here's some solid advice that may help and will certainly help you in life. Study philosophy.

https://sites.google.com/site/whystudyphilosophy/

Shouldn't this be a new thread?

Shouldn't this be a new thread?

Personally I feel like there are too many threads now. The Politics page changes so often it is impossible to keep up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1mI2OljCus]Bertrand Russell on the Value of Philosophy - YouTube[/ame]

I prefer the philosophy of John Cleese...

I prefer my own. Tell us, how does psychology influence the teaching system in schools, from kindergarten all the way through college? Surely it is important for children to understand how psychology, even very simple psychology, can help them or hurt them, right?

You are here speaking on the psychology forum, so show us that one of you has the ability to speak to this subject.

I prefer my own. Tell us, how does psychology influence the teaching system in schools, from kindergarten all the way through college? Surely it is important for children to understand how psychology, even very simple psychology, can help them or hurt them?
They read DSM books out loud in class...

So you cannot speak to psychology today. Why didn't you just say so.

you have challenged me on quite a few threads and yet when I answer you and then challenge you back, you change the subject.

I prefer my own. Tell us, how does psychology influence the teaching system in schools, from kindergarten all the way through college? Surely it is important for children to understand how psychology, even very simple psychology, can help them or hurt them?
They read DSM books out loud in class...

So you cannot speak to psychology today. Why didn't you just say so.
I don't get the magazine...anymore...I learned psychology when they were still teaching Freudian slips..

Forum List

Back