Controlling The $$$ Of Charities

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Yes Virginia, even if you wish to donate to charity there are those that know the government should take control:

Activists Want to Redistribute Philanthropic Wealth Based on Racial Quotas - WSJ.com

Philanthropy and Its Enemies
Activists want to redistribute foundation wealth based on racial quotas.
By NAOMI SCHAEFER RILEY

Nonprofit leaders are reeling from the recent news that President Barack Obama's proposed budget would limit tax deductions on charitable contributions from wealthy Americans. But now the philanthropic world has something else to worry about. Today the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy (NCRP), a research and advocacy group, will release a report offering "benchmarks to assess foundation performance." Its real aim is to push philanthropic organizations into ignoring donor intent and instead giving grants based on political considerations.

The committee is part of a rising tide of politicians and activists who are working to change the face of American philanthropy -- and not for the better.

The report, titled "Criteria for Philanthropy at its Best," advises foundations to "provide at least 50 percent of grant dollars to benefit lower-income communities, communities of color, and other marginalized groups, broadly defined." The committee looked at 809 of the largest foundations in the country, whose combined three-year grants totaled almost $15 billion, and concluded that the majority of foundations are "eschewing the needs of the most vulnerable in our society" by neglecting "marginalized groups."...

The only charity I plan to give to is my local humane society, dogs don't give a shit what color you are!

Its real aim is to push philanthropic organizations into ignoring donor intent and instead giving grants based on political considerations.

I don't know about that...I've just read the executive summary of the thing (thus far, I'll read it all sooner or later) and I'm not seeing that.

Perhaps the devil is in the details.

http://www.ncrp.org/files/paib-execsum_lowres.pdf

Last edited:
New ways for the gubamint to take yer' money. They never stop do they?

You so don't know what you're talking about, MS.

Not that I don't think governments are about the business of exploiting the people, but in this case that has nothing to do with it.

New ways for the gubamint to take yer' money. They never stop do they?

You so don't know what you're talking about, MS.

Not that I don't think governments are about the business of exploiting the people, but in this case that has nothing to do with it.

It's not about exploitation, it's another way to redistribute wealth & power...

Why the attempt to mislead people? I'm sure there are enough things done by our government that deserve genuine criticism. The WSJ is in the toilet.

What we have here is one private group pushing for other private groups to give in socially acceptable ways. Big deal.

The National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy (NCRP), established in 1976 and based in Washington, DC, is a privately-funded non-profit organization that conducts research on and advocates for greater accountability, transparency and a focus on social justice in the philanthropic sector. NCRP is unique in that it is the only existing national progressive watchdog of philanthropy in the United States.

1976 – NCRP is founded by the Donee Group, a coalition of nonprofit leaders, to urge philanthropy to serve vital public needs.
1977 – NCRP challenges United Way’s giving strategies, advocating for funding of grassroots social change.
1980 – NCRP’s publication, Foundations and Public Information: Sunshine or Shadow?, encourages foundations to be more financially transparent and accountable.
1981 – NCRP helps establish local committees for responsive philanthropy to increase awareness of community foundation giving practices.
1985 – NCRP assists in hosting the first National Conference of Women’s Funds, from which the Women’s Funding Network was created.
1991 – NCRP initiates a study of community foundations in America’s largest cities, including Denver, Philadelphia, Seattle, Atlanta and Chicago.
1997 – Sally Covington's Moving a Public Policy Agenda: The Strategic Philanthropy of Conservative Foundations is published. This groundbreaking research ignites debate and discussion among progressive and mainstream foundations that continues today.
1999 – Executive Director Rick Cohen steps in for Robert Bothwell, continuing NCRP’s 23-year legacy as the nation’s only progressive philanthropic watchdog.
2002 - NCRP begins publication of annual State of Philanthropy reports.
2004 – NCRP testifies in front of the Senate Finance Committee on the need for increased public accountability for philanthropy.
2006 - Rick Cohen steps down as Executive Director; Mary Lassen appointed Interim Executive Director
2007 - Aaron Dorfman appointed Executive Director.

National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ravi, people have a right to give to charities based upon what they think they will do. The government and it's lobbyists have failed to cope successfully with much they are charged with.

Forum List

Back