Contradictions in the Bible?

Phaedrus said:
If you read further into the seperate discussion I had concerning that distinction you'll see what I assert. That was the first post of many concerning that. Also don't take Freud at face value, he was merely a precursor to modern psychology.

Yes

That's it, they have no buisiness, but's impractical to live otherwise. Don't expect me to justify other people's actions. Just explain them the way I see them.

Choice implies judgement. Thus, in being given free will we are given the ability to judge God. Have no pretensions of being correct, but don't expect me to live as if I weren't :)

Is that a fancy way of saying that humans have to draw the line somewhere ?

Unsure what you mean. You have to draw the line of what you believe in somewhere. Even cause and effect are a belief.

Phaedrus said:
Unsure what you mean. You have to draw the line of what you believe in somewhere. Even cause and effect are a belief.

Th
at's it, they have no buisiness, but's impractical to live otherwise. Don't expect me to justify other people's actions. Just explain them the way I see them.

I'm referring to your use of 'impractical' here. What impracticallity would man be faced with?

Phaedrus said:
Personally I prefer to live impractically, but are you actually able to withold judgement?

For brief periods of time ! :teeth:

Action however requires a decision and decisions require judgement. Even our perception of ourselves requires judgement ( or as assessment if you prefer). To try to live otherwise would be self delusional.

Phaedrus said:
Never claimed success :D

Easy boy--just trying to see if you are referring to the neccessity for humans to believe in something (draw the line). As in trying to live as if anything is possible and all things are realtive. The belief that one can suspend all judgement or committment.

dilloduck said:
As in trying to live as if anything is possible and all things are relative. The belief that one can suspend all judgement or committment.

Everything is relative, not everything is possible. I knew a kid in high school who thought you could fly if you tried hard enough. He was also known for going to Hume class one day high and asking whether God had feet. He also believed in dragons after the HBO special.

Note: was that HBO? Also the kid goes to Brown now. He was as smart as he was stupid, and he was quite stupid.

Phaedrus said:
Everything is relative, not everything is possible. I knew a kid in high school who thought you could fly if you tried hard enough. He was also known for going to Hume class one day high and asking whether God had feet. He also believed in dragons after the HBO special.

Note: was that HBO? Also the kid goes to Brown now. He was as smart as he was stupid, and he was quite stupid.
Are you saying that I can't fly? I've been trying to get it right, any day now...

Why do you care what we Christians believe?

There are people in our midst who believe in "inner children", transcendental meditation, reincarnation, worship of ancestors, trees, prana, karma, chi, the Tao, Zen, Wicca, paganism, the latest talk show pop psychology, pyramid power, aliens from other planets, UFOs, crop circles, Allah, the Ninth Imam, self esteem, and the list goes on and on.

Yet no one goes up their ass with a microscope about their beliefs. But Christians, for some reason are continually expected to explain and defend their faith.

Now if these questions arose from a sincere desire to know more about our religion, OK, fine. But most of the time, it's just a thinly veiled attack on the Faith.

Look, if you want to believe in evolution, atheism or whatever. Fine, go ahead. No one is trying to convert you here. Just quit trying to convert me to your way of thinking. I don't care about the latest Harvard study, the Da Vinci code, what Professor Higginbottom or Sir Lancelot has to say about the faith.

But I will believe that there is One God in Three Persons, one was born of a virgin, He suffered, died and was buried for our sins, on the third day He rose again, ascended to heaven and sits at the right hand of God. He will come again to judge all of us on the Last Day. Furthermore, the Church, as imperfect as it is, is His presence here on Earth.

If you don't like it, so what? What do I care?!?!?!?

Ask me to explain it? No! Why should I? Do I owe you an explanation? All you'll do is turn my words back on me, refused to be convinced, just so that you can throw more barbs at my faith! Screw you! And I don't care how unChristian that sounds! Even Christ overthrew the tables of the money changers in the Temple and beat them with whips and cords that he made with His own hands. So... off with you, and go worship a freaking tree for all I care, just leave my faith alone!

And if I don't want to believe in evolution, what are you gonna do about it? Throw me to the lions or put me on a rack? Hah! This is a free country, I'll believe as I please. And if that offends you..... GOOD!

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
But Christians, for some reason are continually expected to explain and defend their faith.

Karl,

I can't speak for anyone but myself. I have no problem with anyone's beliefs, nor do I expect proof of those beliefs. By definition, belief is a matter of one's personal faith.

I do think, though, that when one asks that one's beliefs be taught in schools as science or otherwise be publicly promoted, then it's not reasonable to ask that others take the same beliefs "on faith".

My feeling... the whole thing can be reduced to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Beyond that, it's up to each of us to find our own beliefs that give peace of mind, hopefully bring some beauty to the world and bring some heavenly glory down on the planet.

Maybe that's naive, but it's kind of it in a nutshell for me.

-- J

jillian said:
Karl,

I can't speak for anyone but myself. I have no problem with anyone's beliefs, nor do I expect proof of those beliefs. By definition, belief is a matter of one's personal faith.

I do think, though, that when one asks that one's beliefs be taught in schools as science or otherwise be publicly promoted, then it's not reasonable to ask that others take the same beliefs "on faith".

My feeling... the whole thing can be reduced to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Beyond that, it's up to each of us to find our own beliefs that give peace of mind, hopefully bring some beauty to the world and bring some heavenly glory down on the planet.

Maybe that's naive, but it's kind of it in a nutshell for me.

-- J
You are referring to the Koran and Islamic traditions being taught in the schools, right Jillian?

Kathianne said:
You are referring to the Koran and Islamic traditions being taught in the schools, right Jillian?

Er...no. I have no problem with ANY religion being taught as part of a comparative or educational class. If it goes beyond that, I wouldn't agree with that either. It's teaching the bible as science which is inappropriate.

but I figure you already knew I was saying that. ;)

jillian said:
Er...no. I have no problem with ANY religion being taught as part of a comparative or educational class. If it goes beyond that, I wouldn't agree with that either. It's teaching the bible as science which is inappropriate.

but I figure you already knew I was saying that. ;)
Cool, I'm assuming you've written to the proper educational authorities, congressional reps, and influential newspapers regarding the several weeks courses on Islam being forced on the Pacific coast children? If not, take a look at search feature to find out more.

Kathianne said:
Cool, I'm assuming you've written to the proper educational authorities, congressional reps, and influential newspapers regarding the several weeks courses on Islam being forced on the Pacific coast children? If not, take a look at search feature to find out more.

They were teaching the Koran as science?

jillian said:
They were teaching the Koran as science?
My apologies. No, they were teaching it in I believe social studies. At least 3 weeks, not comparative with any other religion.

Kathianne said:
My apologies. No, they were teaching it in I believe social studies. At least 3 weeks, not comparative with any other religion.

You know, I have no problem with them teaching that if it was intended to take the edge off of some of the hate stuff that's going on now. But I think they should have taught about other religions, too, if what they really wanted was to foster understanding.

And yeah...if it were my kid's school, I'd have said something if they ignored everything else.

jillian said:
You know, I have no problem with them teaching that if it was intended to take the edge off of some of the hate stuff that's going on now. But I think they should have taught about other religions, too, if what they really wanted was to foster understanding.

And yeah...if it were my kid's school, I'd have said something if they ignored everything else.

They need to teach something that takes the edge off of the hate America stuff too.

Forum List

Back