Contradictions in the Bible?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by mattskramer, May 12, 2006.

1. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You can't justify them. The Bible is....gasp....fallible. It was written by men and not by God himself. So if this is the case, then how can we prove that it's true? Did the writers of the Bible actually see the creation of Adam? No...that's impossible, so they HEARD about it not from God but from other human beings. We might as well consider it one big rumor...we'll never know if there's any truth to it.

3. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Well, personally, I think you're in for a very big surprise.

You think the stories Grandma tells you of her childhood are lies? Any of you guys ever write a paper for school? You get the facts, you talk to people and then write it in your own words, right? Pretty much the way the Bible was done.
    As far as contradictions, things we do today would never have been tho't of doing years ago. Women never wore pants, carried parasols, covered their heads in certain churches. Customs change; and that puts a slant on a person's writing.
    But what remains true throughout the Bible is this, God is the same today as He was yesterday. He loves us. And Jesus came to this earth & died that we might have eternal life with Him. It is a gift, we receive through His grace. You don't have to accept it.

4. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Not true. Grandma's stories are from HER experience. The facts in my paper are from those who experienced the event. No one experienced the creation of the Earth.

And as for God being the same-- that's not the impression I get. Why is the Old Testament so much harsher than the New Testament?

And it's not about acceptance....I can accept that anyone believes it. The recent problem, though, stems from ID-- where it's being forced onto us as fact. It directly impacts my life when I'm instructed in a science class and told that it's factual.

5. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    The Old Testament tells the rise & fall of nations, the battles between armies. It contains history, poetry, and to me, boring family trees. The OT also shows the dark side of man. The men are real, flesh & blood, fallible men. But it also shows what lengths God will go to redeem His people. The New Testment is the fullfilment of the Old. We see the life, death and ressurection of Jesus, the events in the great redemption story.

6. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    But someone did live in the Garden, experience the disobeying of what God said, the first murder, the Flood, the Immaculate conception of the Christ-child. So maybe Creation isn't a hoax, either.

7. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Still, though, it's second hand information. Why didn't Adam write the Bible? Not to mention that when you compare actually stories and history (ie- war battles, etc.) you are reporting plausible events. When we get into the supernatural, how are we supposed to trust anyone?

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    There are those who also believe each of the men in the Bible represent different "attributes". The mixture of history and allegory is supposed to illustrate the ten attributes of the Creator.

9. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    That is where faith comes in. We have such finite minds how can we even imagine such a thing as life, spoken into existence? Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how radio & TV work.

But just look at the hair on the body. The hair on your head is different than that on your arms which is different than the hair on your legs, which is different than the hair on your genitals, which is different than your eyebrows or eyelashes. This can't be just by accident.

10. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Which men and what are the ten attributes?