Constituents Flood Another GOP Congressman’s Town Halls And Angrily Confront Him

518px-Tom_Reed_Official_Portrait.jpg

One woman shouted that Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y.) was spreading “misinformation.”

Constituents of Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y.) flooded two town hall meetings on Saturday to confront and boo the congressman over the GOP’s vows to repeal the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, and strip public funding from Planned Parenthood.

One event was supposed to take place in a senior center, but it moved outside because so many people showed up.

Attendees loudly booed Reed when he said he did not support public funds for Planned Parenthood.

“I do not support taxpayer-funded paying of abortion,” Reed said, prompting boos. A woman in the front of the crowd immediately fact-checked his remark.

“You, an elected official, [are] giving misinformation,” she said. “Right now, our taxes do not pay for abortions. They pay for mammograms, they pay for birth control.”

“Planned Parenthood, less than 3 percent of the services they provide is abortion. And none of that 3 percent is funded by you,” she added.

Indeed, the Hyde Amendment, passed in 1976 by Congress, prohibits the use of public funds to pay for abortions, so there is no “taxpayer-funded paying of abortion.”

The constituents also booed loudly when Reed offered details on what a replacement for Obamacare could look like. They jeered when he called the Affordable Care Act a “failing system” and suggested that a new system would give more Americans health savings accounts. Most Americans can’t afford to put aside the money required for these accounts.

The crowd chanted in unison, “How can the poor get savings accounts?”

When Reed said this could be fixed simply by growing the economy, the crowd booed loudly again.

At a second town hall meeting later in the day, Reed said Americans would get tax credits to pay for health insurance, according to the Buffalo News. When the audience asked how those credits would be used, Reed replied, “That is something we’re still working on.”

The angry confrontations have prompted some Republicans to cancel town hall appearances altogether.

More: Constituents Flood Another GOP Congressman's Town Halls And Angrily Confront Him

Yes, Rep. Reed was clearly trying to spread misinformation. Thankfully, the crowd set him straight on the facts.

Haha...does anyone else find it funny that these 'protesters' are referred to as "constituents" at a GOP Townhall.
I think the OP meant to refer to them as big mouth, whack-job Liberals.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that not one of these Snowflakes voted for this guy.

It is New York.....one of the biggest Nests for democrat fascists....they don't even have to recruit people from out of state to be their brown shirt thugs......they breed them their.......

Here....this is a video about the democrat parites cousins from Europe back in their heydey in the 1930s.......today, the democrat party is doing the same thing...

Yawn....any idea who's behind this LaKooKoo? Get off the left loon sites and you'll soon find out

You idiots on the left STILL haven't figured out why Trump won, have you? America is sick of this shit

I agree and the booers were probably sent in my Soros or one of his lackeys.

Seems quite a bit of that has been going on in the town hall meetings.

Yawn....any idea who's behind this LaKooKoo? Get off the left loon sites and you'll soon find out

You idiots on the left STILL haven't figured out why Trump won, have you? America is sick of this shit

Trump won the EC vote because fools like you believe demagogues and charlatans. Trump does not have a mandate, he lost by + or - 3 million votes, most of the votes by people with a college education and an IQ of three or more digits.

More and more two-digit people like you are starting to understand that the Obamacare they hate, and the Patient Protecton Affordable Care Act they like, are one and the same.

Forum List

Back