Conservatives

No one seems to understand political ideology or know what constitutes each ideology. When you peruse the replies above you quickly wonder where in the hell did they come up with that! Our education system is poor in this area, but if you are going to pretend you understand something at least have the good sense to make sure you are not operating in a vacuum.

Oxford short introductions are like your best professor in a college intro course.

look inside, this is an excellent introduction
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ideology-Very-Short-Introduction-Introductions/dp/019280281X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239196362&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: Ideology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions): Michael Freeden: Books[/ame]

I come out liberal but you knew that!
Typology Test

read the intro online.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Prejudice-25th-Anniversary/dp/0201001799/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239197251&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Nature Of Prejudice: 25th Anniversary Edition: Gordon W. Allport: Books[/ame]

no longer easily avaible but worth a look. check a good library.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Authoritarian-Personality-Studies-Prejudice/dp/0393311120/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239196467&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Authoritarian Personality (Studies in Prejudice): Theodor W. Adorno, Else Frenkel-Brunswik, Daniel J. Levinson: Books[/ame]

This book and the two above influenced my thinking.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sanctions-Evil-Sources-Social-Destructiveness/dp/B001NHAIFG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239197123&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: Sanctions for Evil Sources of Social Destructiveness: Nevitt & Comstock, Craig Sanford: Books[/ame]

more great reads

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Evil-Ordinary-Genocide-Killing/dp/0195189493/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239197320&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Becoming Evil: How Ordinary People Commit Genocide and Mass Killing: James Waller: Books[/ame]

This good is interesting too; I am hoping this is turning around though.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Authoritarian-Specter-Robert-Altemeyer/dp/0674053052/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239196467&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: The Authoritarian Specter: Robert Altemeyer: Books[/ame]

And in fact, the greatest excesses in Human history came at the hands of 'liberals' trying to social engineer the world, the 60 million odd dead of Asia in the last century can attest to the effects of leftest thought on their human condition, IE they ceased to be for the good of the state and society, liberal concepts, over the supremancy of the rights of man, a conservative concept.

I'll take the rights of man over the good of the 'state' anytime, as would anyone who values freedom.

The problem here is both radical right and left end up being tyrannical dictatorships run by megalomaniacs. Neither fit their ideological framework. Our own nation was founded on enlightened liberalism. Hitler was 'right' and Mao was 'left.' I am not sure where I would place Stalin right now. If our measure of evil is death, religion is way ahead, is that right or left? Power corrupts, listen only to Cheney or Ahmadinejad.

[L]iberals can't win in an argument against anybody. All they can do is discredit and insult and try to literally destroy their enemies because ideologically they can't win.
Rush Limbaugh

Wrong again, but at least you are consistant.

For someone who claims to be 'better informed' then others, you don't know basic concepts of history, yet try to use them to make your arguments.

It propels you from slightly amusing idiot savant to full fledged moron.

When you grow up a bit and start to learn a little history, ...

August 7, 2008
RUSH: Elitism is a nose in-the-air attitude that says I'm better than everybody else, I'm smarter than everybody else

edit: [Conservatives] can't win in an argument against anybody. All they can do is discredit and insult and try to literally destroy their enemies because ideologically they can't win." Rush Limbaugh

See how easy it is to sound smart and profound like Rushie boy, and that is really really profound. :lol:

A few thoughts from liberal thinkers.

"Ideally citizens are to think of themselves as if they were legislators and ask themselves what statutes, supported by what reasons satisfying the criterion of reciprocity, they would think is most reasonable to enact." John Rawls

"Liberals demand that the social order should in principle be capable of explaining itself at the tribunal of each person's understanding." Jeremy Waldron

"The essence of the liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment. This is the way opinions are held in science, as opposed to the way in which they are held in theology." Bertrand Russell

"The peculiar internal tension of liberal constitutions is that they constrain power even as they authorize it—that is, they attempt to curb the despotic power and ambitions of individual rulers and officials and, by doing so, to permit stronger systemic capacities." Paul Starr

Unfortunately, you chose as your champions individuals who are so easily dispensed with. Had you been familiar with the Blocks you would know that Jeanne "Humphrey Block also became involved in the politically charged atmosphere of Berkeley in the 1960's. She marched in protest against the Vietnam War, "walked the precincts to muster support for Eugene McCarthy, and helped start the Committee of Social Responsibility (which later was transformed into Physicians for Social Responsibility)" .

[\QUOTE]

So, we should disregard the results of this study because the people who conducted it had political beliefs? Maybe next time we should find people who have no political affiliation to conduct such a study?:rolleyes:

Perhaps you could provide some evidence that they tainted with the results of the study, or MORE LIKELY, you are another empty suit, populating this place.

So, we should disregard the results of this study because the people who conducted it had political beliefs? Maybe next time we should find people who have no political affiliation to conduct such a study?:rolleyes:

Perhaps you could provide some evidence that they tainted with the results of the study, or MORE LIKELY, you are another empty suit, populating this place.
you have a bunch of liberal assholes do a study, it will not reflect the truth

especially when they are doing it to prove something they already believe before the study

"The peculiar internal tension of liberal constitutions is that they constrain power even as they authorize it—that is, they attempt to curb the despotic power and ambitions of individual rulers and officials and, by doing so, to permit stronger systemic capacities." Paul Starr

hahahahahahahahaha.

You mean like the despotic power of making people poorer at whim? Or firing someone without any authority to do so? Or raising punitive taxes on a specific block of people? Or devaluing our currency? Or ensuring layoffs happen by redirecting capital away from job creation to the coffers of Washington to the tune of $3.6 trillion? There's simply way too many to list.

Just making sure.

Because I never laughed so hard in my life.

especially when they are doing it to prove something they already believe before the study

Surely you are better at diving than politics....otherwise you'd drowned by now. So any liberal who conducts a study would be so unprofessional as to screw with the results? Just out of curiousity, if someone said the same of ALL conservatives, would you agree?

Surely you are better at diving than politics....otherwise you'd drowned by now. So any liberal who conducts a study would be so unprofessional as to screw with the results? Just out of curiousity, if someone said the same of ALL conservatives, would you agree?
it depends on who and what they said
same goes for this stupid study
and since you chose to personally attack me, fuck off

it depends on who and what they said
same goes for this stupid study
and since you chose to personally attack me, fuck off

I apologize for the personal attack, it was unprofessional of me. Once I've been here longer you'll realize I'm a left leaning independant, so I do lean to the right on some issues, so we may not disagree on everything :). So, I'm just saying I hate generalizations, like about how just because they are liberal means they screwed with the results of the study. So, I'm just saying SOME liberals would screw with the results, and SOME wouldn't....I don't know the percentages. I just know I'd never bet my life on a generalization.

Kinda off the subject, I lived in the panhandle of Florida for quite some time, and one of my regrets is that I've never been diving, once again my apologies for my snide remark. I must remind myself not to post on a new website while drunk, if I was high I wouldn't have made that mistake. High off marijuana that is, not crack or anything :p

One easy way to see it's not a valid study (or at least very biased) is the fact that it separates based on "black and white". Being liberal is about rainbows, the many degrees of life that do NOT fit inside the box, so this was clearly done only to attempt to make one side look bad. No true liberal would ever support such a study since the entire basis goes completely against what we want people to see, that colors and flavors of life are not black and white.

One easy way to see it's not a valid study (or at least very biased) is the fact that it separates based on "black and white". Being liberal is about rainbows, the many degrees of life that do NOT fit inside the box, so this was clearly done only to attempt to make one side look bad. No true liberal would ever support such a study since the entire basis goes completely against what we want people to see, that colors and flavors of life are not black and white.
which was why i said they were not seeking to study, but to prove what they already believed
while that can be done in an unbiased way, this one sure doesnt look like it did

I tend to disagree. The USA is a race-first country. Everything that is done is equated to colour. To the outside world you are comical and pathetic war-mongering people content to shoot each other for no good reason.

I tend to disagree. The USA is a race-first country. Everything that is done is equated to colour. To the outside world you are comical and pathetic war-mongering people content to shoot each other for no good reason.

Did you make a big drama-queen exit? Why didn't you stick with that declaration!

I think that you have that entirely backwards, liberals look to the government to do everything for them, they are dependent. Conservatives on the other hand believe that they are the ones responsible for their success, they work hard to get there and make many freinds along the way.

I don't know where you were on 9/11/01 but if your country is under attack, you either sit with your thumb up your butt and smoke a bong with the other hand or you go to war with the people that started the war, unfortunately the idiots that were after are spread all over the Middle East.
You sound like a dope smokin hippie from the 60's :cuckoo:

I think that you have that entirely backwards, liberals look to the government to do everything for them, they are dependent. Conservatives on the other hand believe that they are the ones responsible for their success, they work hard to get there and make many freinds along the way.

Is Bernie Madoff jewish and is he a conservative or liberal?

Is Bernie Madoff jewish and is he a conservative or liberal?

:offtopic:
Are you seriously a retard!

No it isnt. No one gives a damn about race in this country except a few extreme racists.

You continue to show why no one takes you seriously.

Forum List

Back