Conservatives

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bfgrn, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    "All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats," quipped Groucho Marx, and in fact it turns out that personality differences between liberals and conservatives are evident in early childhood. In 1969, Berkeley professors Jack and Jeanne Block embarked on a study of childhood personality, asking nursery school teachers to rate children's temperaments. They weren't even thinking about political orientation.

Twenty years later, they decided to compare the subjects' childhood personalities with their political preferences as adults. They found arresting patterns. As kids, liberals had developed close relationships with peers and were rated by their teachers as self-reliant, energetic, impulsive, and resilient. People who were conservative at age 23 had been described by their teachers as easily victimized, easily offended, indecisive, fearful, rigid, inhibited, and vulnerable at age 3. The reason for the difference, the Blocks hypothesized, was that insecure kids most needed the reassurance of tradition and authority, and they found it in conservative politics.

Psychology Today Magazine, Jan/Feb 2007

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. mash107

mash107 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I wonder why liberals, when they were "resilient" and "self-reliant" when they were kids, think it's alright to dictate their wishes through a government through use of force. It would surely be illegal for someone to steal money from his neighbor, but through the blessing of the states, it is legal. You'd think someone who wasn't insecure doesn't feel a need to force their neighbor to do things they'd be otherwise unwilling to do in a free society. There are conservatives that are plainly guilty of this as well, obviously. War on drugs, sexuality, terrorism, privacy, etc is a blatant abuse of power just as much as the war on prosperity waged by the liberals is.

3. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    That study was posted here a while back. As I recall, there was quite a little temper tantrum that broke out...therefore causing the ultimate irony of validating the study by obnoxiously attacking it.

4. AnnECUCherry

AnnECUCherry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16

"War on prosperity"?! That is rich!

Since when has paying one's fair share of the cost of maintaining our nation become a "war on prosperity"?

Well-to-do people actually use some government-provided goods and services far more than do poor people. How many poor people need air traffic controllers? Or the US Passport Office? Poor people are also less likely to use federal highways as much as more well-to-do people. Many poor people don't need government-sponsored FDIC protection because they have no bank accounts. Government-provided law enforcement agencies don't have to spend time keeping an eye on poor people's businesses. Poor people are also unlikely to use state and national parks as often as more well-to-do people.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    I am a little baffled by the study. I did the usual internet searches and found that this guy and his dead wife are very well respected in their field. I found references to this study.
    The thing that confuses me is how come there are only two groups in this study?
    I didn't grow up to belong to either group, and I know a lot of folks like me.
    Conservative on some issues, liberal on others.
    Where in this study are we represented?
    One thing is certain, American citizens are being abused by their leaders without regard to political belief.

6. SassyIrishLass

SassyIrishLass Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,125
    . In 1969, Berkeley professors Jack and Jeanne Block embarked on a study

THAT speaks volumes.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,928
    He can not link his source yet, but wanna bet that you can not see the actual data or criteria? How about numbers as well?

And how exactly does one tell if a 3 year old is all the things supposedly good about Liberals? Or all the bad things supposedly about Republicans?

Yup they sure got lucky and found a group of 3 year olds that all grew up and joined just the two major political parties with no independents at all.

8. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    I wonder what the results would be 20 years later (2009)? The political definition of 'conservative' and 'liberal' has changed considerably since then.

9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,825
    This is an excellent, clever, and inventive attack on Conservatives by a Liberal Psychologist, or am I being redundant? Having not seen your name before on this board, I'd like to welcome you. I look forward to many jousts, and thank you for showing your colors so early.

Interesting that you were so creatively able to take a slap at the 34 % of the electorate that self-identified themselves as Conservatives after the most recent election (21% as Liberals).

Unfortunately, you chose as your champions individuals who are so easily dispensed with. Had you been familiar with the Blocks you would know that Jeanne "Humphrey Block also became involved in the politically charged atmosphere of Berkeley in the 1960's. She marched in protest against the Vietnam War, "walked the precincts to muster support for Eugene McCarthy, and helped start the Committee of Social Responsibility (which later was transformed into Physicians for Social Responsibility)" .
    Jeanne Humphrey Block

And, of course, Jack is "professor emeritus at UC Berkeley." Is any more necessary?

Your post is clearly a worthless polemic, and one that fails to meet any standards of objectivity. But worthy of the liberal arguments regularly found on this board.

Based on the results and adherents of liberal philosophies, the arguments you try to present are counter intuitive, and defy logic (a hallmark of liberal perspective).

Let me try to cast aspersions as broadly as you have. Liberals are the ones who believe in a weak defense nationally, sort of a "can't we all just get along" view of live, a head in the sand view of totalitarianism. They believe that special rights be given to protected groups, on whose identity they decide. They tell others how to live, and threaten the force of law and taxes if one does not abide by their rules. Weak, insipid, they believe in private and individual morality, which can be changed depending upon one's whim. They believe in equality of result, so it is fair to takes one person's property and give it to another.

And of course, liberals, two-faced as they are, claim to be the good hearted ones, but decline to give charity, leaving it to the government.

Liberal philosophy, and central to their perspective, feel so superior to others, that for them, 'feeling' about some subject is as good as actully knowing: this global warming and gun laws.

Liberals feel that without the protections of big government, none of us, poor helpless victims, could survive. Victims?

How humorous that you use a phrase such as "easily victimized, easily offended, indecisive, fearful" for Conservatives. If I may borrow a phrase from the pseudo-science psychology, isn't this a classic example of projection?

Should you require further redirection and education, don't be shy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  10. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Please. Both liberals and conservatives are statist capitalists. Ain't that enough?