CONgress is broken

leftwinger

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2015
driving
GOP Rep. Lesko (R-AZ) announced plans to retire on Tuesday afternoon amid the vote for a new House Speaker. Lesko, a third-term Representative and strong Trump supporter, said Washington DC is “broken” as part of her reason for retiring.

“I have decided not to run for reelection in 2024. I want to spend more time with my husband, my 94-year-old mother, my three children, and my five grandchildren,” she said in a statement. “Spending, on average, three weeks out of every month away from my family, and traveling back and forth to Washington, D.C almost every weekend is difficult. Right now, Washington, D.C. is broken; it is hard to get anything done,” Lesko said.

1697643464804.png

“High-3 salary” is the highest salary a member made in three consecutive years. For Boehner, that’s the speaker’s salary of $223,500. My back-of-the-envelope calculation comes up with an annual pension for Boehner of about $86,600, depending on how precisely you calculate his service time.

Comment*****ASSume this Lesko character high salary was $200K and she is credited 5 years. This one will get $17,000 annually for life. Not a lot EH? (try that working at Circle K).

This one is probably typical of Pension low end. Up to six figures at the high end ~$150K. Estimate an median payout around $75K and multiply it by tens of millions GOVT EMPLOYEES on pension.

$750Billion dollars per year (not including medical for entire families). This money comes from somewhere? Spending is ~$7T. 10% of Spending goes to "other" into pensions too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say its broken... this is what democracy looks like... there is a fight for control of the GOP and its a good thing... the frightened RINO republicans are losing power to MAGA and the battle is on....

GOP Rep. Lesko (R-AZ) announced plans to retire on Tuesday afternoon amid the vote for a new House Speaker. Lesko, a third-term Representative and strong Trump supporter, said Washington DC is “broken” as part of her reason for retiring.

“I have decided not to run for reelection in 2024. I want to spend more time with my husband, my 94-year-old mother, my three children, and my five grandchildren,” she said in a statement. “Spending, on average, three weeks out of every month away from my family, and traveling back and forth to Washington, D.C almost every weekend is difficult. Right now, Washington, D.C. is broken; it is hard to get anything done,” Lesko said.

View attachment 844777

“High-3 salary” is the highest salary a member made in three consecutive years. For Boehner, that’s the speaker’s salary of $223,500. My back-of-the-envelope calculation comes up with an annual pension for Boehner of about $86,600, depending on how precisely you calculate his service time.

Comment*****ASSume this Lesko character high salary was $200K and she is credited 5 years. This one will get $17,000 annually for life. Not a lot EH? (try that working at Circle K).

This one is probably typical of Pension low end. Up to six figures at the high end ~$150K. Estimate an median payout around $75K and multiply it by tens of millions GOVT EMPLOYEES on pension.

$750Billion dollars per year (not including medical for entire families). This money comes from somewhere? Spending is ~$7T. 10% of Spending goes to "other" into pensions too.
Her district is trending Blue and that Trumphumping MAGAnut knows it.

This "racket" should be ended. They should go on 401K and SS like everyone else does.//
Sigh......In this thread we find out who knows shit-all about .gov "pensions".

Both the wife and myself get the same retirement (not really a pension in the traditional sense) as they do based on our pay and contributions.....A congress critter has to be vested into the system in the same way too.

Maybe this will help:

I wouldn't say its broken... this is what democracy looks like... there is a fight for control of the GOP and its a good thing... the frightened RINO republicans are losing power to MAGA and the battle is on....

'Tis said this is by design ... a paralyzed Congress can't take away our individual liberties ... last time Congress worked together, they passed the Patriot Act taking away our rights ...

View attachment 844777

Congress is fine; the GOP is broken.

Sigh......In this thread we find out who knows shit-all about .gov "pensions".

Both the wife and myself get the same retirement (not really a pension in the traditional sense) as they do based on our pay and contributions.....A congress critter has to be vested into the system in the same way too.

Maybe this will help:

I said she was 5 years of service and she is over age 62. correct? She will get something if credited with 5 years per your article. Imagine how many make 20yrs. How many make ten years? etc. You figure it out. I got work to do here.

I said John Boner gets $86K and worked a grand total of 26 years. Nothing like that happens in the private world. Are these special people?

Federal Employees pay for their pension every paycheck. My wife has 4.4% of her salary held out each paycheck for her pension.

If you leave before 20 years or the age of 62 all that money is kept to pay for the pension of others.

I said she was 5 years of service and she is over age 62. correct? She will get something if credited with 5 years per your article. Imagine how many make 20yrs. How many make ten years? etc. You figure it out. I got work to do here.

I said John Boner gets $86K and worked a grand total of 26 years. Nothing like that happens in the private world. Are these special people?
Sigh, he was under the "new" retirement system so his retirement was based on his FERS fund contributions/pay/years of service just like other .gov employee's retirement is.

The only difference I can see was that he was just pulling down bigger bucks without having to work his way through the GS system for years.

Federal Employees pay for their pension every paycheck. My wife has 4.4% of her salary held out each paycheck for her pension.

If you leave before 20 years or the age of 62 all that money is kept to pay for the pension of others.

Per Cullers article. 5 years of service gets you in (and be over age 62). 4%/yr of $100K is $4000 dollars ($80K paid in over 20 years). Does not even cover one year of John Boners pension. Lesko will get $17K forever. Over 20 years gets your pension w/o being over age 62?

Again....try that checking groceries at Safeway. Not happening. Install 401K or SS for all FED employees, just like we have to do.

Per Cullers article. 5 years of service gets you in (and be over age 62). 4%/yr of $100K is $4000 dollars ($80K paid in over 20 years). Does not even cover one year of John Boners pension. Lesko will get $17K forever. Over 20 years gets your pension w/o being over age 62?

Again....try that checking groceries at Safeway. Not happening. Install 401K or SS for all FED employees, just like we have to do.

Fed employees have a 401k (called the TSP) and pay into and get SS just like everyone else.

Do you also whine about military members getting a pension for life after 20 years no matter what their age?

Fed employees have a 401k (called the TSP) and pay into and get SS just like everyone else.

Do you also whine about military members getting a pension for life after 20 years no matter what their age?

No. the Military earns it. As do active duty GOVT police. Congress works only 80 days/year with royalty benefits. Producing exactly what? A silly vote now and then? $33T over-spending? Then showered with top salary forever upon "leaving". That should end.

Mitt Romney reported $25,000,000 income on $250,000,000 investments in 2011 ... his salary for serving in the Senate is less than 1% of that ...

This is in the context of in many many States, the highest paid state employee is the head football coach ...

Forum List

Back