Congress Can No Longer do Anything about 86% of the Federal Budget

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
06596d9e-0f0a-4452-ac08-cfeacf7ee535.jpg

It does no good to place blame for this. We all know it was started a century ago and has only grown bigger by the War on Poverty and other such programs. And when politicians complain about $5 billion for The Wall, they ignore the fact that is 0.005% of the 4 trillion dollar 2018 budget. That means that Congress can only work with $56 trillion to try and make savings.

Peanuts.

"Permanent appropriations" and "offsetting collections:" ostensibly puts 86 percent of federal spending on autopilot and not requiring annual approval from Congress, according to Investors Business Daily.

Entitlement programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and welfare are funded annually without congressional approval because of laws that make them "permanent appropriations." They accounted for $2.6 trillion of federal spending in 2015.

Other vehicles for autopilot federal spending include contract authority, borrowing authority, and "offsetting collections," which are fees, fines, or charges for permits. Congress allows that money to be spent how the agency sees fit, and $421 billion was spent federally that way in 2015.

Much more of this @ Report: 86 Percent of Federal Spending Now on Autopilot

Nonsense, Congress can write a budget that over rides past laws any time they wish. There is virtually no part of the US budget that is beyond the reach of Congress.

But in order to have serious budget repair we'd have to stop electing weasels to office, an unlikely proposition.

Nonsense, Congress can write a budget that over rides past laws any time they wish. There is virtually no part of the US budget that is beyond the reach of Congress.

But in order to have serious budget repair we'd have to stop electing weasels to office, an unlikely proposition.

ORLY?

- Interest payments on the debt
- Social Security payments
- Pensions for government employees

Hard to touch any of these in a standard budget.

ORLY?

I didn't mention a standard budget. Congress has 100% control of our government's funding, they are just too lazy to exercise that authority.

ORLY?

I didn't mention a standard budget. Congress has 100% control of our government's funding, they are just too lazy to exercise that authority.

You said that Congress can write a budget that overrides past laws any time they wish. No, they can't write a budget in violation of the law. The laws would need to change - and yes, that is under their control. But the remedy is not as simple as a budget.

ORLY?

You said that Congress can write a budget that overrides past laws any time they wish. No, they can't write a budget in violation of the law. The laws would need to change - and yes, that is under their control. But the remedy is not as simple as a budget.

What exactly are you arguing about here ? I simply said "Congress is in FULL control of government spending" a stance you took issue with and now admit is true.

ORLY?

What exactly are you arguing about here ? I simply said "Congress is in FULL control of government spending" a stance you took issue with and now admit is true.

Scuze moi, but this is precisely what you said to which I responded:

"Congress can write a budget that over rides past laws any time they wish. There is virtually no part of the US budget that is beyond the reach of Congress."

And I said it would take more than a standard budget. I stand by my assessment that a budget cannot overturn laws.

Forum List

Back