Congress can make Trump's tax records public without his consent!

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
Though our new president may not realize it, Congress has the power to obtain his tax returns and reveal them to the public without his consent, including returns under audit.

Congress’s right to reveal tax information independent of the president’s authority proved extremely important in 1973 and 1974, when President Richard Nixon became entangled in a controversy involving his claim of a sizable charitable deduction for giving his official papers to the National Archives. Nixon initially stonewalled the inquiries, including making his famous statement that “I am not a crook.” When the pressure increased, he contended correctly that the IRS had already audited the pertinent returns and not ordered any change.

But a leak subsequently revealed that Nixon, despite having income of more than $200,000, had paid about the same amount of tax as families with incomes under $10,000. Outrage at this revelation eventually led Nixon to seek review of his taxes from the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation, which delegated the task to its respected nonpartisan staff. The staff ultimately found that Nixon owed almost $500,000 in additional taxes over four years — roughly one-half of his net worth at the time. Because of the importance of the matter to the nation, the Joint Committee exercised its authority and voted 9 to 1 (three Republicans joined six Democrats) to release the staff report, including Nixon’s confidential tax return information, to the public.

Opinion | Congress has the power to obtain and release Trump’s tax returns

Though our new president may not realize it, Congress has the power to obtain his tax returns and reveal them to the public without his consent, including returns under audit.

Congress’s right to reveal tax information independent of the president’s authority proved extremely important in 1973 and 1974, when President Richard Nixon became entangled in a controversy involving his claim of a sizable charitable deduction for giving his official papers to the National Archives. Nixon initially stonewalled the inquiries, including making his famous statement that “I am not a crook.” When the pressure increased, he contended correctly that the IRS had already audited the pertinent returns and not ordered any change.

But a leak subsequently revealed that Nixon, despite having income of more than $200,000, had paid about the same amount of tax as families with incomes under $10,000. Outrage at this revelation eventually led Nixon to seek review of his taxes from the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation, which delegated the task to its respected nonpartisan staff. The staff ultimately found that Nixon owed almost $500,000 in additional taxes over four years — roughly one-half of his net worth at the time. Because of the importance of the matter to the nation, the Joint Committee exercised its authority and voted 9 to 1 (three Republicans joined six Democrats) to release the staff report, including Nixon’s confidential tax return information, to the public.

I can hardly wait for the Republican controlled Congress to release Trump's tax returns. LOL

I can hardly wait for the Republican controlled Congress to release Trump's tax returns. LOL

FROM POLITIFACT:

Several polls, including one released the day before his latest press conference, show that a sizable portion of the public does think Trump’s tax returns are an important issue. These polls word their questions differently, but most results showed a majority of Americans believed the issue was relevant, undermining Trump’s assertion that only the media wants to explore the issue.

We rate Trump’s statement False.

nobody gives a damn except hack jobs
POLITIFACT says you are wrong. I predict that if Trump hasn't released his returns by 2018 he might be facing a Congress populated by more Democrats.
The power of the vote in 2018 could be a reflection of how people feel about Trump not releasing his tax returns.

POLITIFACT says you are wrong. I predict that if Trump hasn't released his returns by 2018 he might be facing a Congress populated by more Democrats.
The power of the vote in 2018 could be a reflection of how people feel about Trump not releasing his tax returns.
probably because the only people that read that drivel is hack jobs.

The smell of desperation and liberal tears...

There's noting quite like it.

We will see...we will see!

Or, we won't.

and the earth will keep rotating

I would support it if we investigate the income of every politician in congress. What do you suppose the odds are that would happen?

Or, we won't.

But a lot of us would feel better about the earth's turning without Trump as the most powerful person on earth.

Or, we won't.

But a lot of us would feel better about the earth's turning without Trump as the most powerful person on earth.

200w.gif

and a lot felt that way about Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, etc.

I just discovered who is on the Joint Commission on Taxation . I don't know how up to date this organizational chart is but the committee is bipartisan, regardless of which party dominates Congress. Take not e of the names upon whom the fate of Trump's tax returns rests:

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 7.54.43 AM.png

Or, we won't.

Problem is libs don't own the Earth (although they think they do) and the rest of us don't give a shit about your feelings.

I just discovered who is on the Joint Commission on Taxation . I don't know how up to date this organizational chart is but the committee is bipartisan, regardless of which party dominates Congress. Take not e of the names upon whom the fate of Trump's tax returns rests:

View attachment 111515
I don't know how up to date this organizational chart is but the committee is bipartisan, regardless of which party dominates Congress.

Just an aside...

Most committees are bi-partisan, and the majority party always has at least one person more than the minority.

JQ, you are desperate and it shows. His audit will keep him honest and we already know he makes billions, so what are you looking for? We also know his business interests as they have been written about ad nauseam. So there is nothing you don't already know. Or are others keeping you stirred up when others already know all there is to know, just because they can.

Or, we won't.

Problem is libs don't own the Earth (although they think they do) and the rest of us don't give a shit about your feelings.
What lib? I am as conservative as Louis Farrakhan! Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a lib. You fright-wingers are the most divisive trolls around;and , to you, everyone has to be a "lib" or a konservative. If that were true, one party would be in power all the time.

View attachment 111515
I don't know how up to date this organizational chart is but the committee is bipartisan, regardless of which party dominates Congress.

Just an aside...

Most committees are bi-partisan, and the majority party always has at least one person more than the minority.
So??? I guess you don't think some of those republicans want to see Trump's tax returns too, especially in light of Trump's love affair with Putin and deals in Russia.

JQ, you are desperate and it shows. His audit will keep him honest and we already know he makes billions, so what are you looking for? We also know his business interests as they have been written about ad nauseam. So there is nothing you don't already know. Or are others keeping you stirred up when others already know all there is to know, just because they can.
I'm desperate? How so? I am merely educating you about your Congress and the power they have. No man is an Island, not even the President of the USA! When the bough breaks from the weight of Trump's arrogance, Congress may have to use that tool to clean up the mess.
The bigger they are the harder they fall.

Forum List

Back