CDZ Confused about gender politics, help!

Ok so I recently watched a lot of Ben Shapiro, Jordan Petersen and Milo yiannopoulos and i watched some arguments from leftist perspectives. My confusion is this, if we are made to use certain pronouns then surely that is an infringement on basic human rights? And actively goes against the argument for gender neutrality. Which from my understanding is that everyone's opinion and belief should be respected.

Am I missing the point or is the argument for neutrality genuinely that flawed?
Since I live in Manassas Virginia, we are considering getting rid of Man because it is gender specific so my town will be called Assas Va. Boise Idaho, again is gender specific because of Boi, so can only call it Se Idaho. Manchester can only be called City, because Man and Chester are both male, so cant use either. See how easy it is?
Ok so the argument is completely idiotic. Thanks for clarification on that.
Here in Maine, I've been wondering what we could call lobster fishing people since lobsterman and fisherman both end in the dreaded "man," but the substitutes just sound weird. Last week I heard a female lobster fishing person say "I've been a lobsterman since I was 10." I gotta tell you,I was relieved. Some things can take substitutions without any problem--like "humankind" for "mankind." But lobsterperson and fisherperson sounds absolutely stupid.

The pronoun wars are mostly a battlefield of the academic gentry, who have the time on their/zeir/xir/whatever hands to worry about such trivial things.

Eggheads Get Henpecked

My confusion is this, if we are made to use certain pronouns then surely that is an infringement on basic human rights?
Nobody's making anyone use any damn pronouns. The use of a given pronoun, particularly a personal pronoun, is driven by the rules of grammar, and those rules exist to facilitate clear, efficient, and effective communication. Period. Chose the pronoun that doesn't confuse one's audience -- i.e., make rational and members of the audience who mastered the language in which one speaks/writes not wonder of whom one is speaking/writing -- and one be just fine.

I missing the point or is the argument for neutrality genuinely that flawed?
Yes. You're missing the fact that pronoun choice is a matter of grammar not human rights. Stop trying to make pronoun choice be something it isn't (or stop paying any mind to folks who are, if it be that you aren't among the folks doing so), and you'll be just fine.
Insofar as I'm having an unusually beneficent moment, I'll even help you out OP-er....
  • "She" and "her" are the personal pronouns used to refer to females. If you look at a person or their image and they look like a female to you, refer to them as "she" or "her" if you are not of a mind to refer to her by name.
  • "He" and "him" are the personal pronouns used to refer to females. If you look at a person or their image and they look like a male to you, refer to them as "he" or "him" if you are not of a mind to refer to him by name. (A key thing to notice about the possessive versions of personal pronouns is that they don't take an apostrophe.)
  • There are also possessive versions of the gender specific personal pronouns. They are "hers" and "his."
  • Lastly, there are the non-gender specific personal pronouns. They are "you," "your," "yours," "I," "me," "my," "mine," "we," "us," "our," "ours," "they," "them," "their," and "theirs."
  • When one is unsure whether the person under consideration/discussion is male or female, one may refer to them using descriptive phrases like "the person who...," "the individual with...," etc. There are, of course, other ways of handling uncertainty such as that which I've described, but insofar as you're struggling with basic personal pronoun choice and how and why one might choose one or the other personal pronoun, I think, for now, it's best that you go with the very simplest and most reliably accurate phrasings.
If you look at a person or their image and they look like a female to you, refer to them as "she" or "her" if you are not of a mind to refer to her by name.
Sorry Dude, but this guy is named "BRUCE" even if "HE" has boobs. I am not mentally ill and wont play the PC game, that liberals do. If you were born a male, that means your genetic make up is XY, even if you take the penis and testies away. Inside you are still a MALE. THAT IS SCIENCE....

caitlyn-jenner-family-secrets-pp.jpg

Would I be nervous if this creature was to enter the bathroom while I was in there? Probably. Hopefully I would be armed. Dude is whacked. You never know if someone who is whacked is going to freak.

That's a 68 year old elderly person we are making fun of here. As pointless as a sex change may be at that stage of the game I really don't care.

BTW, I think most of his/her family is whacked.

On another side note, do we have any stats on who gets caught being a child predator? Medium sized 30-50 year old white men would be my off the cuff guess for the most likely folks.
That's a 68 year old elderly person we are making fun of here.
I thought Clowns were meant to be laughed at?

Ok so I recently watched a lot of Ben Shapiro, Jordan Petersen and Milo yiannopoulos and i watched some arguments from leftist perspectives. My confusion is this, if we are made to use certain pronouns then surely that is an infringement on basic human rights? And actively goes against the argument for gender neutrality. Which from my understanding is that everyone's opinion and belief should be respected.

Forced tolerance is intolerance.

My confusion is this, if we are made to use certain pronouns then surely that is an infringement on basic human rights?
Nobody's making anyone use any damn pronouns. The use of a given pronoun, particularly a personal pronoun, is driven by the rules of grammar, and those rules exist to facilitate clear, efficient, and effective communication. Period. Chose the pronoun that doesn't confuse one's audience -- i.e., make rational and members of the audience who mastered the language in which one speaks/writes not wonder of whom one is speaking/writing -- and one be just fine.

I missing the point or is the argument for neutrality genuinely that flawed?
Yes. You're missing the fact that pronoun choice is a matter of grammar not human rights. Stop trying to make pronoun choice be something it isn't (or stop paying any mind to folks who are, if it be that you aren't among the folks doing so), and you'll be just fine.
Insofar as I'm having an unusually beneficent moment, I'll even help you out OP-er....
  • "She" and "her" are the personal pronouns used to refer to females. If you look at [a person or their image and they look] someone who looks like a female to you, refer to them her as "she" or "her" if you are not of a mind to refer to her by name.
  • "He" and "him" are the personal pronouns used to refer to males or someone of indefinite gender. If you look at a person or their his image and they look he looks like a male to you, refer to them him as "he" or "him" if you are not of a mind to refer to him by name. (A key thing to notice about the possessive versions of personal pronouns is that they don't take an apostrophe.)
  • There are also possessive versions of the gender specific personal pronouns. They are "hers" and "his."
  • Lastly, there are the non-gender specific personal pronouns. They are "you," "your," "yours," "I," "me," "my," "mine," "we," "us," "our," "ours," "they," "them," "their," and "theirs." "he" and "him" (which basically mean "this person," just as the related "here" means "this place")
  • When one is unsure whether the person under consideration/discussion is male or female, one may refer to them using descriptive phrases like "the person who...," "the individual with...," etc. There are, of course, other ways of handling uncertainty such as that which I've described, but insofar as you're struggling with basic personal pronoun choice and how and why one might choose one or the other personal pronoun, I think, for now, it's best that you go with the very simplest and most reliably accurate phrasings.
Only the Born Rich Are Under the Delusion That They Are "Born to Rule"

Yet you slavishly use they with a singular antecedent ("a person"), which ignorant and dysfunctional usage was forced on us by earlier privileged femininnies.

Forced tolerance is intolerance.
Decade After Decadent Decade, Generation After Degenerate Generation

Tolerance is a degenerative disease.

You're missing the point.

You frame the argument as if you're being forced to do something against your will - in this case, using the pronouns that people identify with.

You're not being forced to do anything - just like I'm not being "forced" to be polite to you. I'm choosing to do so, because it's common courtesy.

If I meet someone whose given name is Steve, but they prefer to be called John, I'm not being "forced" to call them John - I'm choosing to, because that's what they prefer to be called.

• "She" and "her" are the personal pronouns used to refer to females. If you look at a person or their image and they look like a female to you, refer to them as "she" or "her" if you are not of a mind to refer to her by name.
  • "He" and "him" are the personal pronouns used to refer to females. If you look at a person or their image and they look like a male to you, refer to them as "he" or "him" if you are not of a mind to refer to him by name. (A key thing to notice about the possessive versions of personal pronouns is that they don't take an apostrophe.)
  • Lastly, there are the non-gender specific personal pronouns. They are "you," "your," "yours," "I," "me," "my," "mine," "we," "us," "our," "ours," "they," "them," "their," and "theirs."
If you look at a person or their image and they look like a female to you, refer to them as "she" or "her" if you are not of a mind to refer to her by name.
Sorry Dude, but this guy is named "BRUCE" even if "HE" has boobs. I am not mentally ill and wont play the PC game, that liberals do. If you were born a male, that means your genetic make up is XY, even if you take the penis and testies away. Inside you are still a MALE. THAT IS SCIENCE....

Would I be nervous if this creature was to enter the bathroom while I was in there? Probably. Hopefully I would be armed. Dude is whacked. You never know if someone who is whacked is going to freak.

That's a 68 year old elderly person we are making fun of here. As pointless as a sex change may be at that stage of the game I really don't care.

On another side note, do we have any stats on who gets caught being a child predator? Medium sized 30-50 year old white men would be my off the cuff guess for the most likely folks.

ok. Well next 68 year old grandpa or grandma you see that looks freaky go laugh at. But yeah, I don't understand it personally past wondering what life would be like if I were 5'1".

Me being a small government fella I think even things I'm uncomfortable with should be legal as long as they don't affect me. If my neighbor wants a sex change, fine. If they wanna own a gun, fine. Now if they get creepy with my kids or mix alcohol and their gun we getta talk. You about the same way?

I deal with the ones with gender issues like this..I pretend I'm talking to a four year old explaining how to fill out a 1040..

ok. Well next 68 year old grandpa or grandma you see that looks freaky go laugh at. But yeah, I don't understand it personally past wondering what life would be like if I were 5'1".

Me being a small government fella I think even things I'm uncomfortable with should be legal as long as they don't affect me. If my neighbor wants a sex change, fine. If they wanna own a gun, fine. Now if they get creepy with my kids or mix alcohol and their gun we getta talk. You about the same way?
I think even things I'm uncomfortable with should be legal as long as they don't affect me. If my neighbor wants a sex change, fine. If they wanna own a gun, fine. Now if they get creepy with my kids or mix alcohol and their gun we getta talk.
Growing up and learning about the world, government, management, ethics, theology, human nature, economics, political and moral philosophy, etc., I thought most folks would be of that mind. It's clear to me now, however, that many in the segment of the population who self-identify as Republicans are not of that mind. Moreover, they are not even as the purport to ascribe stridently to notions of individual liberty.

I think even things I'm uncomfortable with should be legal as long as they don't affect me. If my neighbor wants a sex change, fine. If they wanna own a gun, fine. Now if they get creepy with my kids or mix alcohol and their gun we getta talk.
Growing up and learning about the world, government, management, ethics, theology, human nature, economics, political and moral philosophy, etc., I thought most folks would be of that mind. It's clear to me now, however, that many in the segment of the population who self-identify as Republicans are not of that mind. Moreover, they are not even as the purport to ascribe stridently to notions of individual liberty.
I grew up learning how Marxism will end up killing millions of people. You can TRY to put guilt on US, but it is you who are the stupid ones.

Somehow the small government "Don' Tread on Me" gun rights guys have been divided from the small government "rainbows and keep out of my business" guys. Someday maybe this concern about what people do with their own parts will pass and they'll be a real voting block of Libertarians.

I grew up learning how Marxism will end up killing millions of people. You can TRY to put guilt on US, but it is you who are the stupid ones.

Marxism equals me not caring what you do with your privates?

Not at all, I know all about the Kardashians and how Bruce was jealous of his daughters who flashed their boobs and butts and made millions, while Bruce would walk up to people and people would ask Bruce who? You are just mad that REAL people know how fucked up in the head, gender benders are(probably because you are one) so hate on US who are the normal people.

Not at all, I know all about the Kardashians and how Bruce was jealous of his daughters who flashed their boobs and butts and made millions, while Bruce would walk up to people and people would ask Bruce who? You are just mad that REAL people know how fucked up in the head, gender benders are(probably because you are one) so hate on US who are the normal people.

Go with the taunting I suppose if it is the best way you have to make your point.

I couldn't care less also, until HE won the woman of the year award. you liberals say the Republicans have a war on women, yet all the time, it is you warring with them.

Bill Clinton abusing intern in the white house.
Harvey Weinstein abusing movie stars.
Bruce Jenner stealing an award for people with a vagina..

Somehow the small government "Don' Tread on Me" gun rights guys have been divided from the small government "rainbows and keep out of my business" guys. Someday maybe this concern about what people do with their own parts will pass and they'll be a real voting block of Libertarians.
Perhaps.

I'll be honest. That "small government"/"large government" ideology -- the size of government should be "X" or the government should be larger/smaller than it is -- is just flat-out stupid in my mind, so much so that it doesn't even make sense to me that folks say such a thing. Why? Because it's absurd to prioritize the absolute or relative size of something over allowing that thing to be the size needed to obtain/receive the functionality that thing provides or must provide.

I don't care whether the government is large or small. I care only that its size is neither more nor less than it need be to accomplish the goals it is charged with accomplishing.
  • If that makes it be larger than it currently is, well, it just does.
  • If that makes it be smaller than it currently is, well, it just does.

Last edited:

You frame the argument as if you're being forced to do something against your will - in this case, using the pronouns that people identify with.

You're not being forced to do anything - just like I'm not being "forced" to be polite to you. I'm choosing to do so, because it's common courtesy.

If I meet someone whose given name is Steve, but they prefer to be called John, I'm not being "forced" to call them John - I'm choosing to, because that's what they prefer to be called.

"hate speech" is not illegal in the US - yet. But there's no doubt that many on the left would like to see anti-free speech laws such as the one in Britain used to protect people from being offended. Which is why it's important for everyone who cares about preserving free speech to resist the narrative about gender pronouns being about common courtesy.

It is my opinion that most of these so called non-binary people are just looking for a reason to be offended because it's trendy to claim victimhood status.

I couldn't care less also, until HE won the woman of the year award. you liberals say the Republicans have a war on women, yet all the time, it is you warring with them.

Bill Clinton abusing intern in the white house.
Harvey Weinstein abusing movie stars.
Bruce Jenner stealing an award for people with a vagina..

You liberals? Buddy, I got a picture of a battleship on my profile, I love the military and I love the death penalty. The trick here is not to draw lines and show your fellow posters they are "not what you are". It is to get people to either - vote your way - or to not care enough and stay home.

By calling people names you just dig their feet into the sane(or mud depending on where) and make them think "I better go vote or else that guy will".

Anyway, Marxism equals me not caring about what you do with your privates?

"hate speech" is not illegal in the US - yet. But there's no doubt that many on the left would like to see anti-free speech laws such as the one in Britain used to protect people from being offended. Which is why it's important for everyone who cares about preserving free speech to resist the narrative about gender pronouns being about common courtesy.

It is my opinion that most of these so called non-binary people are just looking for a reason to be offended because it's trendy to claim victimhood status.

:lol:

The "we must be assholes to be free" argument is dumb, and based on irrational fears. It goes against the entire concept of freedom - which is, the ability to make decisions and face the consequences of them.

You are welcome to be an asshole - and other people are well within their rights to react negatively to you doing so.

If your ideological positions are more important to you than social relationships, that's fine - but don't be surprised when you find the end result of placing ideological purity over social relationships is eventual ostracization from society.

:lol:

The "we must be assholes to be free" argument is dumb, and based on irrational fears. It goes against the entire concept of freedom - which is, the ability to make decisions and face the consequences of them.

You are welcome to be an asshole - and other people are well within their rights to react negatively to you doing so.

If your ideological positions are more important to you than social relationships, that's fine - but don't be surprised when you find the end result of placing ideological purity over social relationships is eventual ostracization from society.

Are you calling me an asshole? Wow, I am offended! I should not be forced to feel these uncomfortable feelings, it's the current year! Someone should pass a law!

Forum List

Back