Confederate Flag: Symbol of ?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Speaking as a lifelong Californian, I see a great dichotomy in the perception of the Confederate Flag between White and Black Americans. For my Black friends, it seems to be a symbol of slavery, segregation, discrimination and racism. For my White friends, it is a symbol of Civil War military battles, moonshine and backwoods shenanigans a la the Dukes of Hazard.

I wonder if these divergent views will ever be reconciled. :confused:

Speaking as a lifelong Californian, I see a great dichotomy in the perception of the Confederate Flag between White and Black Americans. For my Black friends, it seems to be a symbol of slavery, segregation, discrimination and racism. For my White friends, it is a symbol of Civil War military battles, moonshine and backwoods shenanigans a la the Dukes of Hazard.

Could you be specific about which Confederate flag you are referring to?

5dixieflags.gif

The one on the roof of "General Lee" (Confederate battle flag?).

It is one of the ironies of this country that some have taken the confederate flat that might have been symbolic of the bravery of all Americans North and South and made it into a hate symbol.

The "Stars and Bars" has been used prominently at KKK rallies and segregationist political events and demonstrations to this day. To southern whites it is the "Flag of Resistance" defying not only blacks but also northerners. Check the video archives of any southern TV station and this becomes obvious. This is still the meaning most connected to it by southern whites today.

The one on the roof of "General Lee" (Confederate battle flag?).
The battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. Got it.

Classy.

JWBooth message said:
Hi, you have received -179 reputation points from JWBooth.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Now that you have proved you don\'t know shit...

Regards,
JWBooth

BTW where do you get your sheets laundered?

Last edited:
In fairness our boys had and loved the 'General Lee,' it had no connection to anything but two good old boys and one Daisy Mae like woman. But I agree with Oldfart above. Symbols
attain power through use and the use of that flag today is inappropriate.

'Gone With the Myths' By Edward Ball [link below]

"In other words, the only state right the Confederate founders were interested in was the rich man’s “right” to own slaves.

It’s peculiar, because “states’ rights” has become a popular refrain in Republican circles lately. Last year Gov. Rick Perry of Texas wondered aloud whether secession was his state’s right in the aftermath of laws out of Congress that he disliked.

In part because of this renewed rhetoric, in the coming remembrances we will likely hear more from folks who cling to the whitewash explanation for secession and the Civil War. But you have only to look at the honest words of the secessionists to see why all those men put on uniforms. " http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/opinion/19Ball.html

generallee4.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: jan
It is very difficult to put into words that a non-southerner would understand.

The closest thing you could use as reference is if have pride in your state.

Southerners are proud of their heritage.

Slavery was wrong, we all understand that, but it was the norm of the day.

Do you shun the American Flag over the genocide of the American Indians? Or do have pride in your country despite it's shortcomings.

Being raised in the South (Texas) I see just as many blacks flying the Confederate battle flag as whites.

Many blacks fought for the Confederacy.

It is very difficult to put into words that a non-southerner would understand.

The closest thing you could use as reference is if have pride in your state.

Southerners are proud of their heritage.

Slavery was wrong, we all understand that, but it was the norm of the day.

Do you shun the American Flag over the genocide of the American Indians? Or do have pride in your country despite it's shortcomings.

Missourian said:
Hi, you have received -444 reputation points from Missourian.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:

Regards,
Missourian

First I believe that Mississippi where I have lived most of my adult life, is about culturally southern as you can get. So try again carpetbagger! At least Missouri had the good sense to not succeed from the Union in 1861. Learn your own state history and find out where others are from before you start making assumptions about their residence and culture.

My attitudes toward our First Nations is that I have been guests in their homes, as they have been in mine, and their patriotism is as great as any group in America and obviously far greater than yours. If you ever attend a dance competition, as what the qualifications are to perform a flag dance.

If slavery was wrong, why do you cling to its symbols of hatred, bigotry, and repression? Maybe it comes with playing the bully. Neg rep me all you want; I have a life outside of this board and frankly don't care what my rep numbers are. It's rather pathetic that you think I will be "hurt" by your childish action.

Clean Debate Zone The Clean Debate Zone is to be used for the clean debating of Government Policies, Candidates, Current News and Events ONLY. No personal attacks, name calling, flaming etc is allowed in this section.

Forum List

Back