Confederate Flag: Symbol of ?

Speaking as a lifelong Californian, I see a great dichotomy in the perception of the Confederate Flag between White and Black Americans. For my Black friends, it seems to be a symbol of slavery, segregation, discrimination and racism. For my White friends, it is a symbol of Civil War military battles, moonshine and backwoods shenanigans a la the Dukes of Hazard.

I wonder if these divergent views will ever be reconciled. :confused:

Oh, Confederate Republicans and African Americans see the flag the same way. Just from opposite sides. Republicans try to take credit for what Republicans did before most of the conservatives left the then conservative Democratic Party in the middle 60's and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party. It's why the KKK and the Aryan Nation see themselves as Republicans. The Republican Party is at least 90% white. It's why they celebrate "Confederate Day or Month" in many southern states. It's why Republicans throw peanuts at a black camera women. Why shirts pop up in Romney rallies saying things like "Put WHITE back in the WHITE House".

Another one that has no idea what the Klan and Aryan Nations is about....why don't you try talking to some of them...they hate both parties...which is why White Nationalists have their own party now.

Give me a break. Go to their side. Sounds like Republicans to me.

http://kkk.bz/

Course it does...you are a liberal...you think republicans=nazis....they may act like nazis sometimes but they aren't in beliefs. Look up the Third Position Party.

kkkflag3.jpg

So what's your point?

The point is simply this

The confederate battle flag was an acceptable symbol of an army in rebellion. Once it was usurped as a symbol of racists to subjugate and oppress blacks, it became an objectionable symbol.
If the people who came to lynch your father did so under a confederate flag, how would you feel about that banner?

The meanings of symbols change over time. The swastika was a religious symbol before it was usurped by the Nazis

I agree that symbols change, which means the meaning of a symbol is not set forever in stone.

Just because the Klan co-opted the Symbol of the Confederacy does not make the Flag of the Confederacy racist...any more than if the Klan adopted the State flag of Connecticut as their standard would make any Connecticuters flying that flag a racist.

Symbols are just that symbols

They represent something else. The Confederate flag at one time represented rebellion. The Klan and other racists had other ideas what that flag would symbolize.....white supremacy over blacks

It might not be fair....but that is the way it is

Course it does...you are a liberal...you think republicans=nazis....they may act like nazis sometimes but they aren't in beliefs. Look up the Third Position Party.

Actually, in reading your posts for a month....you seem like a Nazi

It represents a bygone era that some folk apparently still need to let go of.

That being said....I always thought it was a cool looking flag.

Its not a bygone era its the flag of an occupied nation whether you or anyone else wants to acknowledge that.

Hi Dissent: Would love to see you and other supporters join forces with Hawaii, that also claims its sovereign nation was unlawfully claimed by the U.S.

You might get more support that way to reclaim independence by voiding annexation.

I can imagine a ton of people would love to see the annexation of Hawaii voided,
so certain Presidential candidates coming from there could no longer claim US citizenship!

Ha ha. (Just remember to write the terms of de-annexation where any illegal immigrants are automatically considered citizens of Hawaii. So when Hawaii is de-annexed, they would take all that native population with them and solve the immigration problem at the same time)

You would solve several problems at once, and be considered a national hero!

Speaking as a lifelong Californian, I see a great dichotomy in the perception of the Confederate Flag between White and Black Americans. For my Black friends, it seems to be a symbol of slavery, segregation, discrimination and racism. For my White friends, it is a symbol of Civil War military battles, moonshine and backwoods shenanigans a la the Dukes of Hazard.

As it appears none of the people arguing have a clue I doubt it.

I'm beginning to think I hit a nerve.

Hi, you have received -50 reputation points from Dissent.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Such a fucking idiot...

Regards,
Dissent

Last edited:
Dear OF: I applaud your commitment to changing these things. May I recommend an excellent resource for you? The Center for the Healing of Racism offers free training in dialogue facilitation and forums, and a series on how racism affects multiple levels of society and inward and outward thinking. The moderators are well experienced in handling sensitive communities and issues, including the racist injuries related to slavery and native american genocide, which is exceptionally deep and painful to heal. The trick is the healing is an interactive process, and the focus is on helping each person to identify their own hurts first separate from how they feel others are instigating or spreading this. That can be very hard to separate the two levels so we don't keep reacting to what others say and see. The more we can heal inside, we can reach out more; but we can't replace the inner healing with trying to change others we think are causing the problem, that's backwards.

If you have places to introduce the educational outreach work or workshops, I highly recommend the CHR to help open up the dialogue where it has a healing effect on all people.

I actively support Morris Dees and the Southern Poverty Law Center and it Teaching Tolerance program. If you think I've punched some buttons with some of our posters who are addicted to violent language, you haven't seen anything yet. Dees drives them absolutely bananas.

But it's OK. I've met many fine people, black and white in Mississippi, Frank Parker, Anne Moody, Fannie Lou Hamer, Rev Ed King, Rueben Anderson, Dr Beitel, and many others. They faced down people far more dangerous than any posters here.

Is that the party lead by Merlin Miller?
Its not led by him but he is their Presidential candidate yes.

Actually, in reading your posts for a month....you seem like a Nazi
That doesn't surprise me. Liberals think anyone who doesn't believe as they do is a nazi.

Its not a bygone era its the flag of an occupied nation whether you or anyone else wants to acknowledge that.

Yea...that is what happens when ya give darkies the vote

What exactly did giving "darkies" the right to vote have to do with my nation being occupied? That happened before then.

Dear OF: I applaud your commitment to changing these things. May I recommend an excellent resource for you? The Center for the Healing of Racism offers free training in dialogue facilitation and forums, and a series on how racism affects multiple levels of society and inward and outward thinking. The moderators are well experienced in handling sensitive communities and issues, including the racist injuries related to slavery and native american genocide, which is exceptionally deep and painful to heal. The trick is the healing is an interactive process, and the focus is on helping each person to identify their own hurts first separate from how they feel others are instigating or spreading this. That can be very hard to separate the two levels so we don't keep reacting to what others say and see. The more we can heal inside, we can reach out more; but we can't replace the inner healing with trying to change others we think are causing the problem, that's backwards.

If you have places to introduce the educational outreach work or workshops, I highly recommend the CHR to help open up the dialogue where it has a healing effect on all people.

I actively support Morris Dees and the Southern Poverty Law Center and it Teaching Tolerance program. If you think I've punched some buttons with some of our posters who are addicted to violent language, you haven't seen anything yet. Dees drives them absolutely bananas.

But it's OK. I've met many fine people, black and white in Mississippi, Frank Parker, Anne Moody, Fannie Lou Hamer, Rev Ed King, Rueben Anderson, Dr Beitel, and many others. They faced down people far more dangerous than any posters here.

Ah yes Dees...Morris Dees -- Child Molester, Pervert, and Liar?

such a wonderful person to work with and look up to.

The Confederate battle flag was originally called the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag designed by General Beauregard to represent the Army of Northern Virginia and it was never adopted as a national flag but it gained prominence in the post-war era as a symbol of the Confederacy after it was adopted as the emblem of the United Confederate Veterans. It is only viewed as a symbol of hatred by African Americans because the Confederate battle flag has been unfairly used as a symbol by various hate groups but its official use will restore the Confederate flag to its proper place representing Southern cultural heritage.

Last edited:
The confederate flag in the minds of many people has the same connotations as the swastika has. You can argue different meanings, but to blacks and most whites, it is a symbol of slavery and hatred. Can you change the swastika back to its original symbolism, neither can you change the Confederate flag back for history doesn't disappear because it is unpleasant. People who imagine another meaning for the flag should recognize the fact the flag has stood for intolerance and hatred and that use continues today. Because some who fly the flag do not hate does not change anything in the minds and perceptions of others. One wonders how tolerant the defenders would be if a nation of Islam flag showed up.

I grew up in Texas, I now live in the suburbs of philly. I never saw the KKK in my 11 years in Texas, or heard one racist comment.... Im sure there are racist parts of Texas, I just havnt seen them,

My brother has lived in East Texas (Tyler) for over 50 years and his three sons grew up in Texas. One teaches history in Tyler, a second works and lives in Tyler, and the third lives in Houston. You are correct that Texas contains a lot of different regions and cultures. East Texas is clearly part of the South.

In the burbs of philly I know of 2 towns that have a KKK chapter, so the north isnt as innocent as everyone thinks, nor is 90% of the south like the movie deliverance.
Yep, there is a lot of racism in the North too. Like hating Jews, Catholics, and gays, anybody can join in. But if you come by, I'll be happy to show you parts of the South that are still just like Deliverance.

As to what the flag means, for most people at least, is a symbol that the southern way of life is better than the northen way of life. After all, those damn yanks are always in a hurry off to nowhere.

We must not hang out in the same kind of bars. I think you got the state department of tourism schtick.

Hahaha, no doubts here about east Texas being part of the south. And I have seen the deliverence parts of the south. My cousins live in kentucky, I almost got my head blown off pulling up to the wrong house, thank god I was on the phone with my cousins and they zipped over and calmed their neighbors down. But when people up here, hear that I from Texas they assume I am a hic, and ask questions about it, and I just laugh and say "dude, I am from Ft. Worth, its a pretty wealthy area and its nothing like that."

But in PA, like I said before I see way too many confederate flags. I cant drive 5 miles without seeing one. Basically if you are a fan of country music up here, then chances are you are going to put a confederate flag somewhere on your truck or jeep. And If you listen to country music, like 80% of it is praising the southern way if living. Up here thats what the confederate flag means to them, they enjoy the sourthern way of living. And the black people (outside of philly at least) dont have a problem with that at all. They see it all the time up here, and what it means to them is those people enjoy the southern way of living.

I guess you have never seen a Black person waving the Confederate flag eh? I have...I remember one marched from one place to the other here in the south carrying the flag wearing a confederate uniform.

I guess you have never seen a Black person waving the Confederate flag eh? I have...I remember one marched from one place to the other here in the south carrying the flag wearing a confederate uniform.

Was he blind like in chappeles blind black kkk member?

Most whites perceive the flag as a symbol of treason.

New Topics

Forum List

Back