Compassionate conservatism...More BS

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bullypulpit, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    For about a dollar a day, a two tablet regimen of generically produced anti-retrovirals can be, and are being, used to successfully treat HIV/AIDS around the world. Except by those programs which recieve funds from the US government. Those programs emphasive "abstention", and when drugs are used, no generics are allowed...at a cost several magnitudes of order higher than the generics.

The Administration refuses to join the rest of the world in easing the patent restrictions on anti-AIDS drugs in order to protect profits for the drug companies, and keep the campaign contributions flowing. This in the face of a pandemic, the likes of which has seldom been seen in human history. Profits before people...this should be Dubbyuh's campaign slogan.

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    One question bully. Who will develop the drug for the next pandemic when there's no R&D money? You? In your spare time?

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157

Yeah of course, emphasizing prevention of a 100% preventable disease is a bad idea.

Also, Do you think drug companies are going to spend time developing cures if they cant make back all the money they poured into created the cures?

4. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I can just see the headlines now if the US were to ever give generic drugs to foreign countries:

THE US DOESN'T THINK YOU ARE WORTH NAME BRAND!

THE US CHEATS ITS NEIGHBORS WITH NO FRILLS BRANDS!!

People should just be thankful we are doing anything, spending one single cent, on people outside our country and on something that is completely preventable.

I've had two floods and a fire in my house...ain't no foreigners come to my house to help me! Not one penny was sent via post.

5. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Studies by the WHO have shown that the gneric meds are as effective as the non-generics. BTW...Do you live in a flood plain?

6. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Seeing as how most of the basic research on anti-retrovirals was done by the NIH, they'll be the ones to do the grunt work again.

7. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Although my examples were somewhat tonge-in-cheek: Since when has the truth ever stopped people from attacking the US??????

8. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301

Considering the 'abstinence' policy is the only one that seems to be actually working, wouldn't it be the compassionate thing to do to spend money preventing people from getting HIV/AIDS as opposed to selling them drugs to help them live with HIV/AIDS?

http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.asp?docID=518674

9. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    I'll bet there's not one single subject out there, that bully couldn't twist around until he made out America to be the BIG BAD BULLIES. You people on the left can just never get your fill of kicking the shit out of America can you?

Why the fuck don't you just leave??!!

10. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to blame someone, blame Mother Nature for not giving these turd world people the intelligence to cure themselfs.