Companies with 50 employees or more now required to have breastfeeding rooms

Ummm, in both of my jobs there is no way there can be additional room just for this.

I don't know if there is an as unyet explained loophole in which they can wriggle through...

I'm sure there is. I admit, there really doesn't need to be a room for this.

However, calling it a "breastfeeding temple" that's needed at all times is a bit ridiculous and over-the-top.

Whatever its called, it's ridiculous to require a special room, by law, for it.

I've never met a nursing mom who wanted to breastfeed or breast pump out in the open in front of her coworkers. The have all wanted privacy - the issue is how to accommodate this privacy in a reasonable manner. I doubt the government directives will be such.

Whatever its called, it's ridiculous to require a special room, by law, for it.

And I agree. Like I said to dillo originally, the fact we shun women who breastfeed in public is just another puritan ideal that we as a country are chained to. It shouldn't of even had to come to this point.

I'm flabbergasted. How many new moms take their babies to work? Its a punping room; not a nursing room. I work with at least 70 women. Two just got back from maternity leave. Zero are breastfeeding. WTF?

That's what I said earlier - it's for breast pumping, which makes a racket. Every nursing mom with whom I have ever worked has wanted to pump in private.

This makes so much sense for companies with no breastfeeding mothers.

What a great use of capital resources.

In my last company, I had several new moms on staff. As they returned to work, we juggled offices to make a private space for them - it was on an adhoc as needed basis - and we did it voluntarily. I would have been outraged to preserve a Breastfeeding Temple for the times when it wasn't needed.

It's a freakin room.

Talk about overreaction.

Edit:

Note so I don't get 50 other responses on this post. I'm calling her rhetoric over this a bit of a overreaction.

The problem is the federal government going into a PRIVATE company and once again demanding that THEY be able to call the shots.

In my last company, I had several new moms on staff. As they returned to work, we juggled offices to make a private space for them - it was on an adhoc as needed basis - and we did it voluntarily. I would have been outraged to preserve a Breastfeeding Temple for the times when it wasn't needed.

It's a freakin room.

Talk about overreaction.

Edit:

Note so I don't get 50 other responses on this post. I'm calling her rhetoric over this a bit of a overreaction.

Seems like it would go hand in hand with the whole family values schpeil.....folks should be happy...if they support family values...

I see an opportunity guys...

See I have this pressure build up during the day, sometimes I need a release...

The problem is the federal government going into a PRIVATE company and once again demanding that THEY be able to call the shots.

Goodness gracious. Do I need to add a 2nd edit saying I agree that it's ridiculous that's it even gotten to this point? The government involvement in here wasn't needed. However, over-the-top rhetoric solves nothing.

reminds of some old idea about the private sector innovating better than bureaucrats

Will there be nursing rooms in the dugouts? Just in case the Yankees recruit a female player in the future. Uneffinbelievable.

This is the sort of over-the-top rhetoric I'm talking about. We can discuss this like adults without using outrageous examples that will never happen.

No offense, just sayin.

Forum List

Back