Companies with 50 employees or more now required to have breastfeeding rooms

"There really is a lack of support for breastfeeding moms, and you see that in the statistics of breastfeeding rates," said Andi Silverman, mother of two sons and author of "Mama Knows Breast: A Beginner's Guide to Breastfeeding."

I get it----a room will encourage bad mothers to breast feed in order to raise healthier babies. :rolleyes:

If you build it they will pump.

So, how will this ridiculous pumping station room work?

Like this:

a00207c1.jpg

Or the uber efficient way?

milking-machine_1004514i.jpg

The second way is better. One giant pumping station with individual pumps attached to the boobage.

What if the mom's get goofy and start a food fight? They'll have to hire additional janitorial workers to clean up the mess.

abundance.jpg

So are these breast pumping moms going to go to the pumping station in droves, like when chicks go to the bathroom? Will they be required to flash a sign to round everyone up?

lets_go_to_the_titty_bar_BH-101.gif

Not a bad idea. It should have been out in the open, and not hidden.

The college where I go has breast feeding rooms in each building on campus. Gives a bit of peace and security to the moms, and the best possible food for the kids.

I personally don't see why people have an issue with it. And it may just be that folks are laid back here, but you see moms doing it here often, just being very discrete with a towel or a blanket.

breast-feeding.jpg

Ummm, in both of my jobs there is no way there can be additional room just for this.

I don't know if there is an as unyet explained loophole in which they can wriggle through...

I'm sure there is. I admit, there really doesn't need to be a room for this.

However, calling it a "breastfeeding temple" that's needed at all times is a bit ridiculous and over-the-top.

Whatever its called, it's ridiculous to require a special room, by law, for it.

I got nothing against it, as long there are security cameras in the room, of course... to make sure mom and child are OK... :D

Not a bad idea. It should have been out in the open, and not hidden.

The college where I go has breast feeding rooms in each building on campus. Gives a bit of peace and security to the moms, and the best possible food for the kids.

I personally don't see why people have an issue with it. And it may just be that folks are laid back here, but you see moms doing it here often, just being very discrete with a towel or a blanket.

I think requiring companies by federal law to have a special room is a bit much.

It was probably one of those amendments that got stuck in to appease some prude who thinks breastfeeding is vulgar. (Yes, they do exist.)

A separate room is probably no big deal for a larger company because they already had special rooms set up for smokers, which now go unused or used for some other mundane purpose.

This makes so much sense for companies with no breastfeeding mothers.

What a great use of capital resources.

In my last company, I had several new moms on staff. As they returned to work, we juggled offices to make a private space for them - it was on an adhoc as needed basis - and we did it voluntarily. I would have been outraged to preserve a Breastfeeding Temple for the times when it wasn't needed.

It's a freakin room.

Talk about overreaction.

Ummm, in both of my jobs there is no way there can be additional room just for this.

I don't know if there is an as unyet explained loophole in which they can wriggle through...

They won't even need a loophole. It will just be ignored. I think it was under some new OSHA rule back in the 70's that specified a "nap room" separate from a lunch break room where someone could lay down and not be interrupted if s/he felt ill . So businesses scrambled to designate a nap room, at least my firm did, and it soon became the favorite place for a few of the heavy coke users to crash for an hour (as usually happens in the afternoon). So management put a padlock on the room and notified OSHA they didn't intend to comply for that reason. We never heard back.

The problem is the federal government going into a PRIVATE company and once again demanding that THEY be able to call the shots.

Goodness gracious. Do I need to add a 2nd edit saying I agree that it's ridiculous that's it even gotten to this point? The government involvement in here wasn't needed. However, over-the-top rhetoric solves nothing.

I agree. If they make a big ruckus over such a small issue, and it reaches the ears of the JSN Republican congresscritters, they're apt to filibuster for an amendment and take days debating whether a woman should even have tits to begin with. I mean where in the Constitution does it say THAT?!!!

Forum List

Back