Commitment to your dog

Again if you ACTUALLY loved your wife you would not make her chose you would just live with the dogs because she loves them.

hey dummy. I flipped it. In the new scenario my wife is asking me to choose.

this thread isn’t about how horrible I am. On a scale of 1-100 with 100 being the most horrible then I am an easy 100. Now let’s stay on topic. How committed should a person be to their dog?
completely, already answered that you should be as committed to a pet as you are to a child only chosing the child over the pet when there is no other choice.

Again if you ACTUALLY loved your wife you would not make her chose you would just live with the dogs because she loves them.

this thread isn’t about how horrible I am. On a scale of 1-100 with 100 being the most horrible then I am an easy 100. Now let’s stay on topic. How committed should a person be to their dog?
Very.

Very.

Cool

No less committed than you'd be to your son or daughter.

If I had to choose between a transmission for my car and my daughter I would chose my daughter 100 times out of 100.

If I had to choose between a transmission for my car and my dog I would chose the transmission for my car 100 times out of 100. I’m just curious what that reveals about my character.

But you are not having to choose between your dog and something else. You are forcing your wife to do that.

I will be honest, if either of my wives had given me the ultimatum you gave your wife, I would have had only one question. Do you want me to help you pack.

And that is only partly because of how I value my animals. The biggest part would be because of the audacity of making me choose between two things I love.

You should, at the very least, learn to live with the dogs.

It is obvious which one you valued more. Forgive me if I have no respect for someone who loves their dog more than their spouse. I just don’t. Bad mouth me if you want.
You don't love your wife much if you make her chose between you and dogs she loves.

That was never the point.

The question is: How committed should you be to your dog?

Turn the situation around. Let’s say my wife is asking me to choose between her and the dogs. Which one should I chose?

That ultimatum should never be given inthe first place. Short of a medical issue, any dog you bring home is your responsibility.

What if it were a chicken, squirrel, pig, or cat? Does the same legal/moral/ethical restrictions apply? or do dogs get special rules because of their power to manipulate?

If you show me a chicken or squirrel that has the same level of love and loyalty that a dog does, I would happily give them the same level of love and admiration.

You said your dog worships the ground you walk on. And you dislike it enough to risk your marriage to get rid of it. That, in and of itself, should tell you all you need to know.

Why are you demanding that your wife choose?

This is the third time I am saying this: if it makes you more comfortable let’s just say my wife is the one asking me to chose. What is the morally correct option for me to chose in that situation?

This thread isn’t titled, “How Horrible is vasuderatorrent”. I can start that thread if you wish. This particular thread is about how committed you should or shouldn’t be to your dog.

No, I am asking why you would force your wife to choose. What is so bad about the dogs that you would force her her to chooce between two things she loves.

Oh, and if you think by giving her this ultimatum, and if she chooses what you think she should, that she will not hold that against you for the rest of your life, you are sadly mistaken.

It is no secret that I have never had much respect for you, Anathema. This post changes that. I still disagree with much that you believe in. But if you treat animals the way you say, you can't be that bad. Respect for that
I find animals to be far superior to humans in pretty much every aspect of life.

I like how honest and revealing this is. I suspect this is how most dog lovers feel deep down. They hate people.

I certainly do not hate people. There are people that I hate or dislike. But they invariably give me a reason to feel that way. I have never had a dog that did that.

I have a cat- we are a great team- he doesn't bother me unless he wants to and I don't bother him unless he wants me to- well, except at bed time- he sets on the coffee table barely able to keep his eyes open- LOL-

You want to know how committed you should be to a dog?

Look at some of the responses concerning crying their eyes out when their dog died. And the people who posted that are not overly emotional types. I will freely admit that I have cried like a baby when my dogs have come to their end (either by me having to put them down or them dying of other causes).

There is a reason why men openly weep when their dogs die, and no one says a word about it.

[/QUOTE]
That’s vague. Let me give you an example. I gave my wife an ultimatum. I told her to get rid of the dogs within 30 days or I’m moving out. Should my wife choose her husband or the dogs? (There are three of them if that matters.)

I am also curious. Does the commitment extend to cockroaches too? If not, when did dogs receive this elevated legal status? I can kill cockroaches galore no questions asked but once i kill a dog, I am some sort of criminal. Can someone give me some background on the legal classifications of animals?
[/QUOTE]

She should tell you to pack your bags and piss off.

This reminds me of a bumper sticker- since we are a bumper sticker country it's quite appropriate:
My wife says either the dog goes, or she does- I'm sure gonna miss my wife

I like how honest and revealing this is. I suspect this is how most dog lovers feel deep down. They hate people
It’s not that I hate people. There are a lot of people I’m perfectly happy to have around.

I just find that far more animals provide a positive influence on my life than human beings do. That gives me more of a reason to respect and enjoy the company of animals over human beings.

I like how honest and revealing this is. I suspect this is how most dog lovers feel deep down. They hate people
It’s not that I hate people. There are a lot of people I’m perfectly happy to have around.

I just find that far more animals provide a positive influence on my life than human beings do. That gives me more of a reason to respect and enjoy the company of animals over human beings.

A friend of mine had a line on her profile on another debate site. "My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am".

It also brings to mind a line from a book I just finished- Win, by Harlan Coben- love me for all my faults-

There's a song Waylon had out in 1969 Alone

Isn't there anyone
Who'll take me like I am
Someone who's willing
To take the blue in man.
Someone that's pleased enough
With himself to let me be
Someone who'd love me
And try to understand my needs.

No, I guess there isn't
And there's no place
I can go, I guess
I'm destined to be alone.

You'd think that somewhere
In this world there'd be
Someone who wouldn't
Always try to change me.
Someone not trying to prove their way is right
Take a flame that's burnin'
And just put out the light.

No I guess there isn't and there's no place
I can go I guess I'm destined to be alone...

As committed as it gets.
That’s vague. Let me give you an example. I gave my wife an ultimatum. I told her to get rid of the dogs within 30 days or I’m moving out. Should my wife choose her husband or the dogs? (There are three of them if that matters.)

I am also curious. Does the commitment extend to cockroaches too? If not, when did dogs receive this elevated legal status? I can kill cockroaches galore no questions asked but once i kill a dog, I am some sort of criminal. Can someone give me some background on the legal classifications of animals?

What the fuck with legal classifications? We're talking beloved pets here, not the filth that is a cockroach.

You can be a criminal if you kill a dog. Depends on the way you kill them. I've had three put to sleep. They were very old and beginning to suffer. It's the worst feeling of your life, but it needs to be done at a certain time if you love your dogs.

I don't give a shit about an insect life unless it's trying to live it's life in my house.

As committed as it gets.

Depends on the husband.

In the example I gave the husband is me.

I don't know you... I can't judge.

But if you were my husband, you'd learn real quick that giving me an ultimatum is the last thing you want to do.

As committed as it gets.

Depends on the husband.

In the example I gave the husband is me.

I don't know you... I can't judge.

But if you were my husband, you'd learn real quick that giving me an ultimatum is the last thing you want to do.

LOL!!! I am with you there!! I try to tell any woman I am dating that giving me an ultimatum is a bad idea. I will always choose the one you don't want me to choose, just because you gave me that ultimatum.

some reason you are legally obligated to tolerate it.

No you aren't. If it has unwanted behaviors, you can train the dog. Train yourself as well, because most bad behavior in dogs are caused by their humans.
You can also give the pet away. I had a cockatiel that was the debbil. It definitely was not an ideal situation and everything I tried was a failure. I gave him to my friend that adores and is good with birds. It was the best solution for both of our happiness.

Forum List

Back