Commercial Real Estate -- Ticking time bomb?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I've been wondering when this was going to happen.

With the proliferation of work-at-home jobs and the ever-growing shop-from-home market, commercial real estate values are bound to suffer. Fewer people are working in office spaces, fewer people are shopping at malls, and it looks like the worst of the problem is getting closer by the day.

From shopping malls to office buildings, the CRE market is in serious trouble, and therefore so are the banks that support it. Regional banks, which took a huge hit when interest rates made their bond holdings turn to shit, may be feeling this more than the big guys.

Yikes. We'll see.

With the proliferation of work-at-home jobs and the ever-growing shop-from-home market, commercial real estate values are bound to suffer. Fewer people are working in office spaces, fewer people are shopping at malls, and it looks like the worst of the problem is getting closer by the day.

From shopping malls to office buildings, the CRE market is in serious trouble, and therefore so are the banks that support it. Regional banks, which took a huge hit when interest rates made their bond holdings turn to shit, may be feeling this more than the big guys.

Yikes. We'll see.

I figure they'll cause a bubble and then put a pin in it if Trump wins.

Yikes. We'll see.

I used to have to go into downtown Houston a couple of times a week for work. That ended with Covid and Zoom hearings/meetings. I have to go to downtown Houston during weekday work hours maybe once a month now. Compared to 2019, it's a ghost town.

Forum List

Back