Coming on the 240 birthday of the Marines

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
It's not my intent to promote a rivalry between Services. It's acknowledged (sometimes reluctantly) throughout the world that the USA has the best trained Military that has ever set foot on the globe. Ronald Reagan said it best, "Many people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem". Every Marine and former Marine knows that Nov. 10th is the Birthday of the Marine Corps. Many former Marines call it their 2nd birthday and celebrate it as much as their original birthday. I wonder if Army Veterans even know when the U.S. Army was established. I don't.

10/13/1775 for the Navy but we're not as obsessed about it
:p

I was part of a 12-man Marine communications detachment aboard the USS Pocono (AGC-16) in the late 1950s. Semper Fi, Navy guy, from a ship's company Marine.

Last edited:
10/13/1775 for the Navy but we're not as obsessed about it
:p

I was part of a 12-man Marine communications detachment aboard the USS Pocono (AGC-16) in the late 1950s. Semper Fi, Navy guy, from a ship's company Marine.
We had some really cool badass Marines aboard as our security detachment because of the missile decks
:salute:

Semper Fi from a former grunt MOS 2531. Marine O311's probably recognize the number. Let the draft dodgers look it up.

Semper Fi backatcha.

I enlisted in the Corps just two days after my 17th birthday in 1956. I tried to enlist when I was barely 16 with a forged birth certificate but they caught me. Fortunately, they didn't press charges and the only thing I had to do again was the physical. My 17th birthday was on a Sunday, I took the “bend over and spread your cheeks” physical on Monday and was sworn in on Tuesday.

I wanted to be a grunt but I did too well on the Morse Code test which everyone was required to take at that time. I became a radio-telegraph operator (MOS 2533) and was assigned to Second ANGLICO (Air and Naval Gunfire Liaison Company), Camp Lejeune, NC.

Semper Fi from a former grunt MOS 2531. Marine O311's probably recognize the number. Let the draft dodgers look it up.

Semper Fi backatcha.

I enlisted in the Corps just two days after my 17th birthday in 1956. I tried to enlist when I was barely 16 with a forged birth certificate but they caught me. Fortunately, they didn't press charges and the only thing I had to do again was the physical. My 17th birthday was on a Sunday, I took the “bend over and spread your cheeks” physical on Monday and was sworn in on Tuesday.

I wanted to be a grunt but I did too well on the Morse Code test which everyone was required to take at that time. I became a radio-telegraph operator (MOS 2533) and was assigned to Second ANGLICO (Air and Naval Gunfire Liaison Company), Camp Lejeune, NC.
I enlisted in 1960 and wanted to be an infantryman but apparently I did too well on the same test that included Morse Code. After Boot Camp I thought a 2500 MOS would keep me in some sort of radio shack but I ended up carrying a Prick 10 in a mortar platoon. Sember Fi professor.

Army, June 14 1775

11B

Have enough trouble keeping up with my wife's Birthday, Anniv and which drawer I put the bottle in ....

Army, June 14 1775

11B

Have enough trouble keeping up with my wife's Birthday, Anniv and which drawer I put the bottle in ....
You make my point. Marines never forget their 2nd birthday because it's pride in the Marine Corps. Former Marines might forget where they put their watch or their wife's birthday but most remember Nov. 10th. Don't try to figure it out just accept it.

Army, June 14 1775

11B

You make my point. Marines never forget their 2nd birthday because it's pride in the Marine Corps. Former Marines might forget where they put their watch or their wife's birthday but most remember Nov. 10th. Don't try to figure it out just accept it.

But don't equate the remembrance of a birthday celebration with the my remembrance and my pride in those I served with, even though you don't know me I assure you it's there....

Army, June 14 1775

11B

But don't equate the remembrance of a birthday celebration with the my remembrance and my pride in those I served with, even though you don't know me I assure you it's there....
Don't be cross Cross. As I said I meant no disrespect to the heroes of the other Military services.

Well I didn't get the okay but I'm take a chance you won't mind.

A tradition that the Army is proud of, as proud of as Marines celebrating their Born on Date.

Old_Guard_tomb_unknown_2015_t550.jpg

I bet most Army Veterans have to google up the birthday of the Army and likewise Navy. No offense intended that Marines observe Nov. 10th as their birthday. Get used to it and stop worrying about it.

Forum List

Back