comgress polarized? blame the GOP

Gridlock in Congress? Blame the GOP - CNN.com

many years, journalists and scholars have lamented the rise of partisan polarization on Capitol Hill. The number of moderates has vastly declined and the number of bills that receive bipartisan support has greatly diminished. The usual culprits range from the advent of the 24-hour news cycle to changing demographics.

But now observers are starting to note that both parties are not equally to blame, especially in recent years.

In their new book, "It's Even Worse Than It Looks," Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein -- two of the most prominent talking heads in Washington, known for their balanced view and proclivity toward moderation -- say that the Republican Party is to blame.

"The GOP," they wrote in a Washington Post op-ed based on the book, "has become an insurgent outlier in American politics." Mann and Ornstein trace the partisan style back to the emergence of Newt Gingrich and Grover Norquist in the 1970s, when the two men promoted a style of slash-and-burn, take-no-prisoners politics that has remained integral to the strategy of congressional Republicans

The history of Congress is full of polarizing times. The late 1800's was just as polarized if not more. The reason it seems so polarizing now is that the Great Depression and WWII forced the country to come together and work toward a common goal and the 50's were a time when partisanship took a back seat. As threats recede and there is no common goal individuals seek their own level. We saw a glimpse after 9/11 of a common goal and and the lack of partisanship there.

Oh man is this gonna be fun.

Lets pretend that Mittens is elected President.

And lets pretend that the Dems keep their majority in the Senate.

You rethugs are gonna be so happy with the filibuster's coming from the dems that you will shout with joy.

What goes 'roud comes 'round. Don't you love it. Gridlock.

But if Mittens does win, I sure as hell don't expect to hear one of you rethugs blame Obama for the mess Mittens can't fix. Remember, IF Bush had nothing to do with the present situation, then Obama couldn't have done anything to deserve blame when Mittens fails. And he will fail. One term at most. If elected.

How come the liberal media doesn't ever talk about the record number of filabusters in the Senate?

I just dont know

Cons don't even mind when Romney, Bush, Boehner or Ryan lie because they agree with their alterior motives too. So even when you bust a righty on a lie, it doesn't matter because their lie is to protect the greater good.

The question is, do cons REALLY believe the media is still liberal? I guess that is a smart position to take when you are trying to move the country to the right. Its sooo very similar to how Hitler was able to brainwash a country to go along. No the GOP didn't commit genocide, but they sure are evil bastards bent on world distruction for profit.

P.S. Romney isn't a Venture Capitalist, he's a Vulture Capitalist. Difference. Yes a few times he invested his own money in some compapnies, but most of the time they borrowed to buy the company and gamed the tax code to make their profits. They didn't "turn the company around". Usually they hurt the companies. Saddled them with debt. Sometimes bankrupted them and stole their pensions. Either way, Romney won. Do Americans really want a Vulture Capitalist running the country? Why not a Wallstreet banker then? :cuckoo:

Keep believing that, most of the Dems in Congress absolutely disagree. Obama has gone down the wrong road with this. The blow back is immense, even from his own party.

the number of filibusters by Republicans has escalated, and they have been far more willing to use the tactic than their opponents. Since 2007, the Senate Historical Office has shown, Democrats have had to end Republican filibusters more than 360 times, a historic record.

Gridlock in Congress? Blame the GOP - CNN.com

How come the liberal media doesn't ever talk about the record number of filabusters in the Senate?

How come the liberal media doesn't ever talk about the number of bills Harry-the-shelver has sitting in the House??

If they are dumb like you they don't know the reason is GOP obstruction. Or the GOP want to put riders into those bills and they are unacceptable. You may not remember but Mitch McConnell said his number one priority was to make Obama a one term president. Not fix the economy? Wow. You right wingers are either such lying greedy ignorant scumbags. :eusa_shhh:

Yes which is why I call him Robmoney.

The cons we talk to here dont care about facts , thruth or anything but the republican party.

To them its an internets game and they have already picked a team.

A cheating losing team with NO morals or concern for the American people or the constitution

I just dont know

Cons don't even mind when Romney, Bush, Boehner or Ryan lie because they agree with their alterior motives too. So even when you bust a righty on a lie, it doesn't matter because their lie is to protect the greater good.

The question is, do cons REALLY believe the media is still liberal? I guess that is a smart position to take when you are trying to move the country to the right. Its sooo very similar to how Hitler was able to brainwash a country to go along. No the GOP didn't commit genocide, but they sure are evil bastards bent on world distruction for profit.

P.S. Romney isn't a Venture Capitalist, he's a Vulture Capitalist. Difference. Yes a few times he invested his own money in some compapnies, but most of the time they borrowed to buy the company and gamed the tax code to make their profits. They didn't "turn the company around". Usually they hurt the companies. Saddled them with debt. Sometimes bankrupted them and stole their pensions. Either way, Romney won. Do Americans really want a Vulture Capitalist running the country? Why not a Wallstreet banker then? :cuckoo:

Keep believing that, most of the Dems in Congress absolutely disagree. Obama has gone down the wrong road with this. The blow back is immense, even from his own party.

i'm sure you're an accurate assessor of what democrats think. :thup:

Last edited:

You rethugs are gonna be so happy with the filibuster's coming from the dems that you will shout with joy.

But if Mittens does win, I sure as hell don't expect to hear one of you rethugs blame Obama for the mess Mittens can't fix. Remember, IF Bush had nothing to do with the present situation, then Obama couldn't have done anything to deserve blame when Mittens fails. And he will fail. One term at most. If elected.

The dems wont do it.

Too many of the Dems care more about country than party

In January, political scientists Kenneth Poole and Christopher Hare concluded, based on their close analysis of the roll call vote, that "in the last few Congresses, the overlap has vanished; that is, the most liberal Republican is to the right of the most conservative Democrat."

Last week, the political-science blog The Monkey Cage pointed out that Sen. Richard Lugar's political positions have changed little since he entered the Senate in 1977, and yet: "In his first term in Congress, Sen. Lugar was the 23rd most moderate Republican in the Senate; in the most recent term (through 2011), he was the fifth most moderate."

As Lugar's recent primary loss shows, Republican activists are now targeting any member of the party who can be tagged as centrists, and they are pushing their caucus farther to the right, making compromise almost impossible.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/21/opinion/zelizer-congress-polarization/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

I just dont know

Here is how you are the typical dumb American voter. When asked if they like Obamacare, most people say no. But when asked about the changes that were made with Obamacare, most people liked the changes.

The GOP are praying on the low information voters. People who won't go do their own research on what exactly Bain Capital does.

Bet you don't know there is a difference between Bain.com and Baincapital.com. If you do, please explain it to me. Don't google this bitch. Quickly.

The right is pushing this country off a cliff by tacking further and further right.

Thank Faux news propaganda

i'm sure you're an accurate assessor of what democrats thing. :thup:

Not my assessment, have you seen The Hill today?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The republican party is distroying our government from within.

Never elect people who say the Job they seek is worthless.

Republicans always say government cant do anything right and then they prove it when elected

Bush got a lot more passed the Dems with less of a majority. Remember it was the GOP that took the filabuster to a whole new level. Sort of sabotaging our democracy. Won't even let things come up for a vote??? So the minority party can obstruct anything and everything?

Bush also used clever tactics to get things past the Dems. Obama has used a few of them too, like signing statements and riders and recess appointments. He had to. The GOP won't go along with anything. They must go.

Great news for Democrats and America is we are replacing our Blue Dog Democrats in our primaries. If they have moved too far to the right, they gotta go. We want true liberals representing us, the middle class. Not triangulators or centrists or corporate democrats.

P.S. Obama just put a tariff on Chinese Solar Panals to make trade in that vitol industry fair. Would Romney do that?

And if you don't like Citizens United, just remember the next President could replace 4 Supreme Court Justices. We can not have Romney in power. This is why I worry they are going to steal this one like they did 2000. All these shady GOP governors like Walker, Christy and Snyder. Bunch of corrupt evil rich white old men.

Bush got a lot more passed the Dems with less of a majority.

Republicans compromise, to a fault.

Let's hope they have learned their lesson that Leftists have no such proclivities.

Bush got a lot more passed the Dems with less of a majority.

Republicans compromise, to a fault.

Let's hope they have learned their lesson that Leftists have no such proclivities.

that is just a flat out fucking lie.

the facts do NOT support your idiot claim

Congress and Washington has to be changed and gotten back to our Constitution and held under the limits that the Constitution says.
Both parties have gotten out of control and need to be changed.
Republicans are starting to do that with the Tea Party,because the Republicans started to become more like the Dem's.
Democrats need to do the same as voters. Change the way the party is going.
Liberals have taken over their party and the Dem's need to get the balance back where conservatives and moderates have the right to vote for the people they represent and not just the Dem's far left party ideology.

The republican party is distroying our government from within.

Never elect people who say the Job they seek is worthless.

Republicans always say government cant do anything right and then they prove it when elected

If I was a righty like stupidgirl, rather than just blow this off as left wing propoganda, I would read it and point out how/why the op ed is wrong.

'You Can't Govern if You Don't Believe in Government'

But she wont/can't.

But maybe someone else will read it and realize the GOP's real motives. But people like stupidgirl are ok with turning our country over to the corporations and rich. Why not? What could go wrong? Just remember the movie Terminator when non living things took over. Corporations can never die. Sure we want them to have a big role in our Democracy stupidgirl? I mean naturegirl.

Forum List

Back