• Hotel California

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
.... which is the better song?

Musically and/or lyrically?

I'm a bit biased as Pink Floyd most likely my favorite group of all time, but, my mother debates me that Hotel California is the best SONG - I think Comfortably Numb is much better (in addition to several other PF tunes!)

I think both are very good songs. I might actually prefer the song Hotel California to the song Comfortably Numb though. Comfortably Numb is a good song but kind of boring and long.

Surprised you put up those two together...

I played hotel california so much when younger I can not stand to listen to that song ever again.

But numb is still a song that can be played again. :)

Surprised you put up those two together...

I played hotel california so much when younger I can not stand to listen to that song ever again.

But numb is still a song that can be played again. :)

Yeah, I don't think really they are that "similar" to battle each other, but both are classics and it just popped into my head - I wonder which people would like better?

It depends on the experience or location.

Nonetheless, "Comfortably numb" is greater, and "Hotel California" is better, if that makes sense.

If I wanted to have a good time, I would choose "numb," but I would almost never want to listen to it alone without hearing the whole album. "Hotel California" would likely give me a bang.

"Goodbye blue sky," and "Empty spaces" from The Wall are greater and greater than (better) "Take it to the limit."

Or, it's all just relative.

It depends on the experience or location.

Nonetheless, "Comfortably numb" is greater, and "Hotel California" is better, if that makes sense.

If I wanted to have a good time, I would choose "numb," but I would almost never want to listen to it alone without hearing the whole album. "Hotel California" would likely give me a bang.

"Goodbye blue sky," and "Empty spaces" from The Wall are greater and greater than (better) "Take it to the limit."

Or, it's all just relative.

I agree about "The Wall" - the songs are not impactful (or as impactful) as stand alones. It's a story so should be listened to in it's entirety.

I agree about "The Wall" - the songs are not impactful (or as impactful) as stand alones. It's a story so should be listened to in it's entirety.

It is way better to listen to all the greatest albums from start to finish before getting too hung up on any of their songs, unless it has been a very long time.

Hotel California is great, but they stole the chord progression from Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. And the solos are really tedious. Comfortably Numb has a generic Bm progression, but the solos are inspired despite being mostly chord tones.

Hotel California is great, but they stole the chord progression from Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. And the solos are really tedious. Comfortably Numb has a generic Bm progression, but the solos are inspired despite being mostly chord tones.

What do you think is Pink Floyd's most well-written song, musically (vs. lyrically)?

I'm really not an Eagles fan. I like a few of their songs, but, don't own any of their albums

A false competition.

Each stands on its own high perch. Each was crafted by geniuses in their field at the time of writing and composing. The Eagles leaned far more towards songs about love and relationship, Pink Floyd's work was more universal and less personal.

Both are epic pieces of popular music.

A better comparison would be either of them or both against any song by Taylor Swift. It would be like comparing a Rembrandt to a paint by numbers painting.

Well better to compare equals, I think - maybe a better comparison or competition would be:

Comfortably Numb or Nights in White Satin?

Comfortably Numb.

But again, I'd be greatful if radio stations would redirect 10% of that playtime to Zappa and other artists I love and admire, Luthuli, Steve Vai, Jeff Beck, Marissa Monte

Well better to compare equals, I think - maybe a better comparison or competition would be:

Comfortably Numb or Nights in White Satin?

I think certain bands and their pinnacle songs are in their own category. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Queen. I wouldn't put The Moody Blues in that group even though I love KIWS and some of their other songs.

It would be like pitting Bach against Beethoven. Each is his own genius and their work stands on its own. Like in movies, Stanley Kubrick stands alone. Spielberg stands alone in his forte. George Lucas wrote THE universal story in Star Wars and that idea and universe will go on forever. Quentin Tarantino has his own niche.

You can't judge these things by money, though box office is a general pointer to notable work.

Forum List

Back