Comet 1/2 size of the sun on its way to Earth

I was incorrect about this comet not getting closer because it is in fact still getting closer to earth but it isn't heading towards earth. This effect is caused from parallel orbits. So, although earth and this comet are getting closer this comet is actually flying in a different direction. The comet is closer to the sun now than the earth but its getting closer to both the earth and the sun simultaneously. The comet is also speeding up, gaining 5-10 km/second over the last few weeks, depending on how you look at it. About a week ago the comet was equal distance from both the sun and earth of 140million kilometers.
Heres what Ive been watching.
20200507_000643.jpg

Last edited:
I was incorrect about this comet not getting closer because it is in fact still getting closer to earth but it isn't heading towards earth. This effect is caused from parallel orbits. So, although earth and this comet are getting closer this comet is actually flying in a different direction. The comet is closer to the sun now than the earth but its getting closer to both the earth and the sun simultaneously. The comet is also speeding up, gaining 5-10 km/second over the last few weeks, depending on how you look at it. About a week ago the comet was equal distance from both the sun and earth of 140million kilometers.
Heres what Ive been watching.
View attachment 333015
Thank you for the clarification. So how close will the comet's tail come to earth? Will it be visible with the naked eye?

I was wrong once again about this comet. This comet will not be the brightest comet this year as there are two comets already brighter, which is not outrageously rare but uncommon. And this comet is still getting closer to both Earth and Sol.

Forum List

Back