Comcast send me a letter letting me know that due to increased business costs,

Get rid of the cable and sports package.
Get netflix $8.99/mo
Get hulu $8.99/mo
Get an antenna.

So what do I do for sports? I need another option that is cheaper

Can't help you there...I don't follow much in the way of sports.

Sports (which is the only thing TV can do that has a shred of honesty and even then it's a hapless two-dimensional sham) can be streamed via internet. I know that MLB and NFL both have packages you can buy that, as Mister Beale pointed out, will still be cheaper than paying for a bunch of cable shit you don't watch anyway. Satellite radio is another option, which by its nature has no local blackouts.

When I kicked my TV out the door the last reason I had to hold on to it would have been live sports, but I quickly figured out there were other avenues. That's when it became final.

Don't like reading books? Fine --write one. Play an instrument (besides skin flute). Draw some art. Make some craft. Or god forbid, go out and help someone less fortunate who needs it. Holy shit, break a brain sweat and figure out something actually productive to do instead of vegetating.

Get netflix $8.99/mo
Get hulu $8.99/mo
Get an antenna.

AM Radio. I don't do Hulu. But yeah, that's pretty much what I do. DSL is really fast if the provider is near you, it can sometimes be comparable to cable, with much more savings.

And since I do DSL, I got a land line, never got a smart phone, and got one of those pay as you go phones, since I don't text. That cut my total cell bill down to less than a total of $150 a year.

I noticed Yahoo cut a deal with the NFL and streamed the first game in history. It's coming if you MUST watch.
How to stream Bills vs. Jaguars free with Yahoo - NFL Videos
A few years back I streamed instant replays of a super bowl I was interested in. Other than that, any time there is a game I HAVE to watch instead of listen to, there's always bars running specials. In the end, the occasional game at the bar will probably be cheaper than your cable bill.

As far as your other entertainment and freeing your mind from TV like Pogo said?

you know damm well a book does not fall into the category of entertainment

No, actually I don't. I suppose if you don't know how to read, it wouldn't be very entertaining.

OTH, if you do know how to read and think. . . . then it very much does.

I haven't yet met a person that has seen the television show and read this that has liked the TV show better. So, I guess, if the TV show is entertainment, that makes the book entertainment too, eh?

game-of-thrones.jpg

A Game of Thrones

Get netflix $8.99/mo
Get hulu $8.99/mo
Get an antenna.

Sports (which is the only thing TV can do that has a shred of honesty and even then it's a hapless two-dimensional sham) can be streamed via internet. I know that MLB and NFL both have packages you can buy that, as Mister Beale pointed out, will still be cheaper than paying for a bunch of cable shit you don't watch anyway. Satellite radio is another option, which by its nature has no local blackouts.

When I kicked my TV out the door the last reason I had to hold on to it would have been live sports, but I quickly figured out there were other avenues. That's when it became final.

Don't like reading books? Fine --write one. Play an instrument (besides skin flute). Draw some art. Make some craft. Or god forbid, go out and help someone less fortunate who needs it. Holy shit, break a brain sweat and figure out something actually productive to do instead of vegetating.
Almost all sports but college sports are a sham anyway. They pay off the refs to get the whole event more exciting and to draw out the games. Pro sports never have any blow outs, even though, statistically, they should. Then there are the fairy tale stories that are played out. Pro sports work on the revenue sharing model and the cartel system. As such, there is no "real" competition going on.

Folks that think it is any more real than that fake wrestling are fooling themselves.

The Undeniable Truth as it Relates to Professional Sports
THE PROOF: Five Facts - The Fix Is In

I need a cheaper internet provider since I use the internet more than watching cable
Get Comcast's cheapest internet, you don't need 300M service, 2 to 5M is all you will ever need. Erect an outside antenna and get TV for free, watch the rest on the internet and borrow DVDs from your local library.

Get netflix $8.99/mo
Get hulu $8.99/mo
Get an antenna.

Almost all sports but college sports are a sham anyway. They pay off the refs to get the whole event more exciting and to draw out the games. Pro sports never have any blow outs, even though, statistically, they should. Then there are the fairy tale stories that are played out. Pro sports work on the revenue sharing model and the cartel system. As such, there is no "real" competition going on.

Folks that think it is any more real than that fake wrestling are fooling themselves.

That may be -- I don't mean to suggest that Sports Inc. are themselves "honest", but that a live sports event is the closest the bullshit medium of television ever gets to the concept of "honest". Compared to anything else it does.

I tell ya what OP, just get yourself an internet radio. Radio is by nature far superior to televsion anyway, because it doesn't shut down your senses. It allows your imagination to run free and even lets you do something else simultaneously, rather than commanding you to "sit down, be a sponge and ingest what I feed you, human".

My internet radio plays through my good speakers and has some 17 thousand stations available from all over the world. I can tune in right now to the air traffic control tower at the Ottawa airport. Not that I do, but I can.

Get netflix $8.99/mo
Get hulu $8.99/mo
Get an antenna.

That may be -- I don't mean to suggest that Sports Inc. are themselves "honest", but that a live sports event is the closest the bullshit medium of television ever gets to the concept of "honest". Compared to anything else it does.

I tell ya what OP, just get yourself an internet radio. Radio is by nature far superior to televsion anyway, because it doesn't shut down your senses. It allows your imagination to run free and even lets you do something else simultaneously, rather than commanding you to "sit down, be a sponge and ingest what I feed you, human".

My internet radio plays through my good speakers and has some 17 thousand stations available from all over the world. I can tune in right now to the air traffic control tower at the Ottawa airport. Not that I do, but I can.

Not a option, I need sports on a TV screen or a cheaper sports option

Totally agree. The local college has a pretty good football team and Springfield has a great Texas League AA baseball team. And I can easily afford to go see both in person several times a season.

Get ESPN streaming...

Why?

Why?
He wants to watch Dallas lose...

Why?

Oh well hell I can supply him a lifetime of links to that. Relive those moments over and over.

Totally agree. The local college has a pretty good football team and Springfield has a great Texas League AA baseball team. And I can easily afford to go see both in person several times a season.

Well here on the eastcoast people like being in the comfort of their own home in Nov and Dec when it comes to football

Why?

Not watching another Cowboys game this season MongoGlow

Why?
Why does a heroin addict need their fix?
images

Why?
images

Exactly what I had in mind.

And he'll never see it. Anybody who could live in Philadelphia sporting a Cowgirls logo is obviously not firing on all synapses.

Why?
images

And he'll never see it. Anybody who could live in Philadelphia sporting a Cowgirls logo is obviously not firing on all synapses.

I'm free to root for whatever team I want Mongo

Why?
images

I'm free to root for whatever team I want Mongo

Of course you are. But how you handle it is, shall we say, instructive. That tells me you'll never find the balls to kill your TV.

Forum List

Back