Colorado Senate passes bill favoring popular vote over Electoral College

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
The Colorado Senate this week passed a bill that would award the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who wins the nationwide popular vote.

The Senate passed the measure along party lines in a 19-16 vote Tuesday, sending the bill to the state House for consideration.

The bill, known as the the national popular vote interstate compact, was sponsored by state Sen. Mike Foote (D), would require Colorado members of the Electoral College to cast their vote for the winner of the national popular vote.

Continued - Colorado Senate passes bill favoring popular vote over Electoral College

As some might already know, interstate compact agreements require approval by Congress.

Though, I think it's more disturbing than humorous that the Colorodo Senate doesn't understand this. There's a humorous line a lot of people use about wanting to make the electorate take a civics test before voting, this is unconstitutional, of course, but one might wonder if a civics test might be in order for those of us running for higher office. Particularly given the oath they take to protect and defend the Constitution. I wonder sometimes if they've even read the thing.

You can't make this stuff up. Ha.

The Colorado Senate this week passed a bill that would award the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who wins the nationwide popular vote.

The Senate passed the measure along party lines in a 19-16 vote Tuesday, sending the bill to the state House for consideration.

The bill, known as the the national popular vote interstate compact, was sponsored by state Sen. Mike Foote (D), would require Colorado members of the Electoral College to cast their vote for the winner of the national popular vote.

Continued - Colorado Senate passes bill favoring popular vote over Electoral College

As some might already know, interstate compact agreements require approval by Congress.

Though, I think it's more disturbing than humorous that the Colorodo Senate doesn't understand this. There's a humorous line a lot of people use about wanting to make the electorate take a civics test before voting, this is unconstitutional, of course, but one might wonder if a civics test might be in order for those of us running for higher office. Particularly given the oath they take to protect and defend the Constitution. I wonder sometimes if they've even read the thing.

The Democrats are always pushing America towards totalitarianism.
Abolishing the Electoral College would do that.
It would give them permanent power.

When the very people who wrote the Constitution didn't follow it?

We need to get rid of the EC.

They haven't followed the electoral college the way it was originally written in the Constitution. That's the problem, Penny.

The original intent of the Founders didn't last very long.

I don't want to get rid of it. I'd like to change it, though.

I'd like to see it percentage-wise. Meaning that if 10% of the vote goes to the libertarian candidate, then he oughtta get 10 votes.

Last edited:
So, Colorado's Senate is trying to abdicate the vote of the citizens of their State. Interesting.

So, if the citizens vote for, say a Democrat with a majority -- let say the Dem get 64% of the Colorado vote -- but the Republican wins the popular vote in the nation, then they're just Shit out of luck cause the electors are going to vote Republican.

Yeah, good idea. Who cares if we have voter id then? Your vote is immaterial.

Mob rule is always fun. As long as your the one in the mob.

48 states have the pop vote.Split Electoral Votes in Maine and Nebraska

only fair for every vote to count.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume you have no clue whatsoever how the electoral college was originally intended to function in the Constitution.

Last edited:

When the very people who wrote the Constitution didn't follow it?

Those that wrote the Constitution gave a way for getting rid of the EC to happen. Get started.

Those that wrote the Constitution gave a way for getting rid of the EC to happen. Get started.

Ha. That's true. The state legislatures have the authority to determine the rules and regulations with regard to what they have to do. I think around 26 states already have. The problem is that the rules they're creating aren't aligned with the original intent in the Constitution. As I said to Penny, the original intent of it didn't last very long afterward.

But this kind of thing might motivate other states to start changing the rules. Therein lies the quarrel in terms of what the rules are gonna be.

Ha. That's true. The state legislatures have the authority to determine the rules and regulations with regard to what they have to do. I think around 26 states already have. The problem is that the rules they're creating aren't aligned with the original intent in the Constitution. As I said to Penny, the original intent of it didn't last very long afterward.

But this kind of thing might motivate other states to start changing the rules. Therein lies the quarrel in terms of what the rules are goinna be.

The original intent was seen in practice in 2016. It hasn't changed in wording or practice since it was used the first time with G. Washington. Your problem is you don't like the result, therefore, you think it's faulty.

It's true. Assuming did make an ass out of you.

Really. Then, show us your wisdom. Correct me. Tell us what you know about the original intent of the electoral college.
It's true. Assuming did make an ass out of you.

Really. Then, show us your wisdom. Correct me. Tell us what you know about the original intent of the electoral college.

Already did. I showed where you ASSumed and how doing so makes you an ass. It's not hard to correct someone when they make a claim yet don't back it up.

The original intent was seen in practice in 2016. It hasn't changed in wording or practice since it was used the first time with G. Washington. Your problem is you don't like the result, therefore, you think it's faulty.

Why, conservative65, we just can't let you skate like that.

What was the original intent? Tell us, please.

Thanks!

Why, conservative65, we just can't let you skate like that.

What was the original intent? Tell us, please.

Thanks!

Yet you made a baseless assumption and expect everyone to accept your claim. I'm waiting on you to support your statement about it and will tear it apart like your BOY Obama did with the Constitution.

Forum List

Back