College Majors

LeslieKnope

Rookie
Mar 6, 2014
Why are students expected to know what they want to major in and do for the rest of their lives when they enter college? Of course, they say, "you can always change your major," but the truth is, one change of class and you are off track for graduating on time. It seems that major requirements are laid out so that if you change major, universities can just take more and more of your money. I hope I chose the right major!

Why are students expected to know what they want to major in and do for the rest of their lives when they enter college? Of course, they say, "you can always change your major," but the truth is, one change of class and you are off track for graduating on time. It seems that major requirements are laid out so that if you change major, universities can just take more and more of your money. I hope I chose the right major!

Quit whining. Most people in most parts of the world are fixed into a career track long before they get to college.

What are you going to major in?

Quit whining. Most people in most parts of the world are fixed into a career track long before they get to college.

I'm not doubting that this is true. I am very lucky to be American. This is why I am speaking of higher education in America. There has to be a better way for students to experiment with different majors without getting completely off track, spending money for un-needed credits, and staying at college another year.

Check your school. You shouldn't have to declare a major yet. Once you do declare your major then a fee may be tacked on. If all you are taking is general course requirements the first year then don't worry so much. If you have a general idea of the direction that you want to go then check out what is on campus as far as speakers or organizations.

Contact people that are already in a field that you are thinking about entering and ask them about the good, the bad and the ugly- especially the ugly. Not just people at the top but people at the bottom.

If there is an intro course to a field that you are thinking about entering then take it. It is better to change a course here then throw yourself into something that will make you want to stab people in the eye with a pen for the rest of your life.

I'm not doubting that this is true. I am very lucky to be American. This is why I am speaking of higher education in America. There has to be a better way for students to experiment with different majors without getting completely off track, spending money for un-needed credits, and staying at college another year.

There is. It's called being a responsible adult, making careful choices, and accepting the consequences of those choices.

Part of good parenting is to guide their children in understanding the importance of thinking about what they want to study and do later in life. No, not every kid is going to know and yes, some kids will change their major multiple times. But a parent owes it to their kid to prepare them for life and deciding areas of interest prior to college is one of the ways to prepare them.

Part of good parenting is to guide their children in understanding the importance of thinking about what they want to study and do later in life. No, not every kid is going to know and yes, some kids will change their major multiple times. But a parent owes it to their kid to prepare them for life and deciding areas of interest prior to college is one of the ways to prepare them.

Okay. I see your point. But what if this child is a first generation college student? Or what if the parents really have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. There may even be a case where a parent wants their child to pursue a career that the child has no interest in. I would agree that it is a parent's responsibility to assist their child to at least attempt to figure out their future, but it really isn't their job. The student has to choose what will make them happy for the rest of their lives. The only issue is how to choose.

There is. It's called being a responsible adult, making careful choices, and accepting the consequences of those choices.

That's the thing though. "A responsible adult." Many students applying to college and choosing their first major aren't even adults yet. They have attended high school and don't really know how to take care of themselves. How can they be expected to make life changing decisions when they don't even know what real life is like yet? I think it's too much pressure.

What are you going to major in?

Engineering so far!

Check your school. You shouldn't have to declare a major yet. Once you do declare your major then a fee may be tacked on. If all you are taking is general course requirements the first year then don't worry so much. If you have a general idea of the direction that you want to go then check out what is on campus as far as speakers or organizations.

Contact people that are already in a field that you are thinking about entering and ask them about the good, the bad and the ugly- especially the ugly. Not just people at the top but people at the bottom.

If there is an intro course to a field that you are thinking about entering then take it. It is better to change a course here then throw yourself into something that will make you want to stab people in the eye with a pen for the rest of your life.

You're right that I don't have to declare my major until the end of the second year. The issue is that I have to be taking pre-reqs and classes required for the major as early as first semester of freshman year. I really appreciate all of your advice though, it is very true. There is a lot of research that has to be done and connections that have to be made. I just worry that some students won't be able to make these connections to discover what they are truly passionate about.

That's the thing though. "A responsible adult." Many students applying to college and choosing their first major aren't even adults yet. They have attended high school and don't really know how to take care of themselves. How can they be expected to make life changing decisions when they don't even know what real life is like yet? I think it's too much pressure.

"Aren't even adults yet"? The vast majority of people starting college are at least 18 years old. Guess what that is?

"Aren't even adults yet"? The vast majority of people starting college are at least 18 years old. Guess what that is?

My point was that they are barely adults. Many students starting college have just turned 18. How can they be expected to know what to do for the rest of their lives??

here's some important questions to ask yourself;

Would I want to do this for the next 40 years.

Will I have to get more training, and would you want to get more.

Is getting done in 4 years more important than being sure you want to do it.

Have a trade in mind that you could do prior to working on a major.

and

Will this degree have jobs waiting for me, that pay enough to live on.

Like that girl off FB that cried her she couldn't get a job with her degree in music history, plan ahead.

My son is 13, he wants to join the FBI. To pay for training he plans on either becoming a welder or joining the service.

My point was that they are barely adults. Many students starting college have just turned 18. How can they be expected to know what to do for the rest of their lives??

no one said you have to go right after HS

here's some important questions to ask yourself;

Would I want to do this for the next 40 years.

Will I have to get more training, and would you want to get more.

Is getting done in 4 years more important than being sure you want to do it.

Have a trade in mind that you could do prior to working on a major.

and

Will this degree have jobs waiting for me, that pay enough to live on.

Like that girl off FB that cried her she couldn't get a job with her degree in music history, plan ahead.

My son is 13, he wants to join the FBI. To pay for training he plans on either becoming a welder or joining the service.

These are very good points! Thank you so much for the advice. It is just sometimes difficult to imagine yourself doing something for the next 40 years if you aren't really sure what that something even is.

Welcome to adulthood.

Forum List

Back