College Majors

I am speaking on behalf of everyone on US Message Boards when I sincerely say get the fuck off the site.

You know, I really don't think that you are. Interesting that you want to believe you are, though.

It is just sometimes difficult to imagine yourself doing something for the next 40 years if you aren't really sure what that something even is.

Don't worry, the future rarely turns out just as you imagined no matter how carefully you plan.

Why are students expected to know what they want to major in and do for the rest of their lives when they enter college? Of course, they say, "you can always change your major," but the truth is, one change of class and you are off track for graduating on time. It seems that major requirements are laid out so that if you change major, universities can just take more and more of your money. I hope I chose the right major!

What are you going to major in?

Engineering so far!

An engineering degree can open many doors for you. That being said, many people earn college degrees and end up in careers that have little to do with the degree.

"Aren't even adults yet"? The vast majority of people starting college are at least 18 years old. Guess what that is?

My point was that they are barely adults. Many students starting college have just turned 18. How can they be expected to know what to do for the rest of their lives??

no one said you have to go right after HS

Why would you even go to college and study anything if you didn't know what you wanted to get your degree in?

I suppose what I am trying to get across is that even if you have an idea of what you want to do, say mechanical engineering, if you then decide that you want to do architectural engineering, the classes and requirements are still drastically different and require extra classes. ALSO, it seems nowadays that you can't get a job worthwhile unless you DO go to college. You don't agree?

That's the thing though. "A responsible adult." Many students applying to college and choosing their first major aren't even adults yet. They have attended high school and don't really know how to take care of themselves. How can they be expected to make life changing decisions when they don't even know what real life is like yet? I think it's too much pressure.

"Aren't even adults yet"? The vast majority of people starting college are at least 18 years old. Guess what that is?

Hey Unkotare, or should I say ugly motherfucker, stop creeping on everybody's damn profiles. You never have any useful input mostly because you are a useless sack of shit. The fact that you spend so much time on this website leads me to believe that you are basically a no life bitch with no friends. I am speaking on behalf of everyone on US Message Boards when I sincerely say get the fuck off the site. You're a straight up garbage pile, shit diapers stacked on anal seepage.

Oh and by the way your grammar is fucking terrible. A 7 year old albino stricken with Downs Syndrome uses better diction. I wish I could meet you in person so I could dick slap your face you scrawny bastard.

Piss in an operating garbage disposal, dickhead!

What brought this post on? :dunno:

I like Unkotare there are plenty of thought provoking threads he has made at the board.

My point was that they are barely adults. Many students starting college have just turned 18. How can they be expected to know what to do for the rest of their lives??

Why would you even go to college and study anything if you didn't know what you wanted to get your degree in?

I suppose what I am trying to get across is that even if you have an idea of what you want to do, say mechanical engineering, if you then decide that you want to do architectural engineering, the classes and requirements are still drastically different and require extra classes. ALSO, it seems nowadays that you can't get a job worthwhile unless you DO go to college. You don't agree?

I know what you mean. Usually when you first start College you take the general requirements and then specialize in classes for your major.

I am locked into my major should be done by fall and I really wanted to change my study a year ago but found out it would delay my graduation quite a bit so I am sticking with my original.

It is just sometimes difficult to imagine yourself doing something for the next 40 years if you aren't really sure what that something even is.

Don't worry, the future rarely turns out just as you imagined no matter how carefully you plan.

This is the first constructive post I've seen from you Unkotare in the past couple of days, and I appreciate it.

I know what you mean. Usually when you first start College you take the general requirements and then specialize in classes for your major.

I am locked into my major should be done by fall and I really wanted to change my study a year ago but found out it would delay my graduation quite a bit so I am sticking with my original.

Thank you for sharing! Your example is exactly what I am talking about. You learn halfway through college that you may not have made the right choice from the beginning, and when you find out, it's too late. Then what? It's hard to "do what you love" if you don't know what that it.

What are you going to major in?

Engineering so far!

An engineering degree can open many doors for you. That being said, many people earn college degrees and end up in careers that have little to do with the degree.

That's very true as well! I guess college is just to learn how to learn. The degree does matter sometimes though. I suppose as long as you can get an array of job opportunities based on your degree, it is worth it to put up with it, get your degree, and use it to get a job in something you really like?

Why are students expected to know what they want to major in and do for the rest of their lives when they enter college? Of course, they say, "you can always change your major," but the truth is, one change of class and you are off track for graduating on time. It seems that major requirements are laid out so that if you change major, universities can just take more and more of your money. I hope I chose the right major!

That wasn't my experience. I changed majors twice and still graduated in 3 years.

That wasn't my experience. I changed majors twice and still graduated in 3 years.

Good to know! Do you mind if I ask what you changed between? Some are easier to change than others. It also depends on the school. It couldn't have been easy, right?

Forum List

Back