Collective bargaining "rights"??

First Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

freedom of assembly

You can not tell Americans they can not get together and talk.

When they get together and talk they can deside to join forces and stick together to acheive a collective goal.

How anyone can think a group of any Americans can be told who they are allowed to group with is beyond me.

Agreed. Americans have the right to protest, and protest as a collective group if they wish.

But their employers also have a right to fire them for insubordination and replace them with employees (not "workers") who will do the job for what is being offered as compensation.

I have a feeling a lot of WI teachers are gonna be fired because the union will get it's way. The collective greed sacrificing the entire career of a few to prevent them from having to give up just a little bit more each as a group. Liberalism at it's best.

And under the constitution the people have the right to ban together and talk about how they will collectively bargan with their employer.

If the employer finds it better to fire them all and lose their expertice at the job and face losing money because they can not hire, train and get back to past production levels in a short enough period of time to save their company than fine.

They may also face the fact that no employee is going to want to work for a company who will fire everyone for wanting a raise.

I think they have a right to do that. As in, they can as a group protest their work environment and demand another agreement.

But by that same logic, their employer has a right to then fire their spoiled asses and hire someone else who will actually be grateful for a job and show up for work.
In a right to work state thats true, but WI law curreently does not allow the employer to fire them. It also does not require the employer to bargain with them.

As i understand it, the workers have the right to unionize under freedom of assembly, and the right to appoint people to speak for them under freedom of speech. What they don't have is the right to compell anyone to bargain with them or even to acknowledge them.

Right to work states are the best. I'm in one now.

BREAKING NEWS RIGHT NOW ON LIMBAUGH, VIA FOX NEWS:

Average teacher's salary in Wisconsin: Over $85,000
85K for a part time job with gold plated free benefits...

STRIKE!!!!!!!

Freedom of assembly is not the right to collective bargaining. The workers can gather and protest to their little hearts' content. They do not have the right to force an employer to negotiate a "group" contract. For the sake of argument, let's assume this is a Freedom of Assembly issue - then the employer has every right to exercise its Freedom of Assembly by not being forced into such an assembly

Wisconsin passed a law in 1959 giving the public sector employees bargaining rights.

(I'm looking for the text of it)

That's consistent with what I've heard reported as well.

But, what the state giveth, the state can taketh away.

That's why it's so important that the Constitution is based on Natural Law not the power of the state. The rights acknowledged in the Constitution are natural rights not rights granted by the state and therefore cannot be removed from the people by the state. If they are, then the people maintain the ultimate right to revolution and the 2nd Amendment preserves the means.

Not that Wisconsin is anything like a revolution, I just wanted complete the thought. :)

What a bunch of nonsense. lololol

Sarcasm right? I just hate assuming ...

Freedom of assembly is not the right to collective bargaining. The workers can gather and protest to their little hearts' content. They do not have the right to force an employer to negotiate a "group" contract. For the sake of argument, let's assume this is a Freedom of Assembly issue - then the employer has every right to exercise its Freedom of Assembly by not being forced into such an assembly
Hey! My clock is broken too!!

Just about every headline I have read about the proposed budget changes in Wisconsin mentions Collective Bargaining "rights". I am NOT the sharpest tack in the box, and after extensive Google searches, can find no LAW that stipulates such rights. What am I missing?

The United States Constitution:

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Sure it is..

It's also part and parcel of Capitalism.

Just about every headline I have read about the proposed budget changes in Wisconsin mentions Collective Bargaining "rights". I am NOT the sharpest tack in the box, and after extensive Google searches, can find no LAW that stipulates such rights. What am I missing?

The United States Constitution:

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That is not the right to force an employer into a group contract.

The people have the right to meet together and act in unison.

You can NEVER take that away without trashing the first amendment

The thugs. The vandalism. The threats.

That is what you are missing.

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Okay.

Where in the Constitution does is specify that Government Employees have collective bargaining rights?

oh my....

The constitution and Bill of Rights are not a laundry list of things the benevolent folks in DC give us the right to do.

It's more accurately a very detailed list of the limited powers granted to the government. Preventing assembly or collective bargaining units is not on the list.

Keep hating our democracy.

You will never be able to stop the people of this country from acting as a group

Okay.

Where in the Constitution does is specify that Government Employees have collective bargaining rights?

oh my....

The constitution and Bill of Rights are not a laundry list of things the benevolent folks in DC give us the right to do.

It's more accurately a very detailed list of the limited powers granted to the government. Preventing assembly or collective bargaining units is not on the list.

Where does it specify that people who work for the government should be able to rig the game by negotiating with politicians for money provided by third parties who have no voice at the negotiating table?

And then they will have to replace them.

Who will they hire and who will want to work for an employer who will fire them for being Americnas

Forum List

Back