Colin Powell: OWS As American As Apple Pie

I have a great deal of respect for Colin Powell. This statement disappoints me very much. I thought he had more common sense.

He said that he thought that protests were as American as apple pie and then he said BUT he is was concerned to see the nihilism, violence, and that some of the demonstrators are interested in nothing but destruction and trying to tear down the system.

Here is his statement in context:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Colin Powell is not really liked by the right wing. Republicans insist their leaders lie to America and mistreat Americans. Mr. Powell refused to keep doing that after he found he had been duped. You can be a traitor to America or a traitor to the Republican Party. Powell chose country over party.
That's not so. Colin Powell is a respected member of the American Society and has a special place in history with his having a great military mind, and a Republican statesman. I like Colin Powell because he's a credit to his country.
Colin Powell went before the American public on national television and prostituted his honor and reputation by supporting the lie that facilitated the Iraq invasion. He did this by conveying the deceptions contrived by his master, George W. Bush and another greasy lackey, George Tenet. He did this with the aid of props in the form of a vial of what could have been talcum and an illustration of an implement which later proved not to exist. Had he not done this it is extremely unlikely the Iraq invasion would have been approved by either the U.N. Security Council or the U.S. Congress.

Colin Powell has since attempted to redeem himself by saying he was "duped" into performing this act of insidious treachery. But Colin Powell was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, which means he had access to intelligence information at the highest level. He also had engineered and managed the Desert Storm operation. So If anyone should have known whether Saddam Hussein had the so-called "Weapons of Mass Destruction" which Powell's lies convinced us he had it was Colin Powell. For who better than he was in a position to know Hussein's military capabilities?

Colin Powell committed this betrayal because his master, George W. Bush, bribed him with a promotion to Secretary of State. And because he knew better than anyone else that he was propagating a lie, Colin Powell more than anyone else is responsible for the deaths of 4,800+ American troops who trusted him and the maiming and disfigurement of tens of thousands more. He is responsible for the death, maiming and disfigurement of tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis including women and children and the destruction of their country. He is responsible for the waste of mega-billions of taxpayer dollars and the disgrace that the unprovoked and unlawful invasion of a virtually defenseless, non-aggressive nation has brought upon the U.S.A.

Colin Powell is by far the most reprehensible political figure in modern American history and anyone who doesn't realize that is either pitifully ignorant, pathetically stupid, totally brainwashed, or all three.

Last edited:
Colin Powell is not really liked by the right wing. Republicans insist their leaders lie to America and mistreat Americans. Mr. Powell refused to keep doing that after he found he had been duped. You can be a traitor to America or a traitor to the Republican Party. Powell chose country over party.
That's not so. Colin Powell is a respected member of the American Society and has a special place in history with his having a great military mind, and a Republican statesman. I like Colin Powell because he's a credit to his country.
Colin Powell went before the American public on national television and prostituted his honor and reputation by supporting the lie that facilitated the Iraq invasion and occupation. He did this by conveying the deceptions contrived by his master, George W. Bush and another greasy lackey, George Tenet, with the aid of props in the form of a vial of what could have been talcum and an illustration of an implement which later proved not to exist. Had he not done that it is extremely likely the Iraq invasion would not have been approved by either the U.N. Security Council or the U.S. Congress.

Colin Powell has since attempted to redeem himself by saying he was "duped" into performing this act of insidious treachery. But Colin Powell was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, which means he had access to intelligence information at the highest level. He engineered and managed the Desert Storm operation. If anyone should have known whether Saddam Hussein had the so-called "Weapons of Mass Destruction" Powell convinced us he had it was Colin Powell. Who better than he was in a position to know Hussein's military capabilities?

Colin Powell committed this betrayal because his master, George W. Bush, bribed him with a promotion to Secretary of State. And because he knew better than anyone else that he was propagating a lie, Colin Powell more than anyone else is responsible for the deaths of 4,800+ American troops who trusted him and the maiming and disfigurement of tens of thousands more, the death, maiming and disfigurement of tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis including women and children and the destruction of their country, the waste of mega-billions of taxpayer dollars and the disgrace that the unlawful invasion of a virtually defenseless, non-aggressive nation has brought upon the U.S.A.

Colin Powell is by far the most reprehensible political figure in modern American history and anyone who doesn't realize that is either pitifully ignorant, pathetically stupid, totally brainwashed, or all three.
dqueenjz1.jpg

The Occupy Wall Street demonstrations are "as American as apple pie," former Secretary of State Colin Powell said during a recent interview with CNN's Piers Morgan. According to Powell, there is plenty of justification for the movement's outrage, but also some reason for concern over its direction.

Powell began by recalling his upbringing in Harlem and the Bronx at a time when his parents didn't make much, but were at least able to find stable employment.

"I don't think either of them ever made more than 50 or 60 dollars a week," Powell said. "Both my parents worked for as long as I can remember, they always worked, they always had work."

But this sort of job stability is no longer present, the retired four-star Army general said, a fact that is now serving as a catalyzing force for the Occupy movement.

More: Colin Powell: Occupy Wall Street Demonstrations Are 'As American As Apple Pie'

RDean,

Don't be fooled by Powell's assertion that he was "duped" into making the phony presentation which, more than any other factor, enabled Bush to obtain approval for the Iraq invasion. Colin Powell was Chairman of The Joint Chiefs. He commanded the Desert Storm operation. He had top rung access to every available bit of intelligence on Iraq, including the findings of all inspectors. As military top dog did the question not occur to him that if Hussein had any WMDs -- why didn't he use them when we attacked him? Powell would have to be a moron to not know Iraq was utterly defenseless, and Powell is no moron.

Colin Powell betrayed the soldiers who trusted and respected him, as well as the American public who trusted and respected him. He came before us and lied to us for the reward of promotion to Secretary of State. So he, more than anyone, is directly responsible for all the death, maiming and misery that unlawful, immoral invasion has caused.

In my opinion he deserves to be hanged.

I love that the left is embracing the shitters.. it's so damn cool.

I'm saddened that the right is demonizing their fellow Americans.

It's going to come back to haunt you because the movement has merit. Average Americans have gotten royally screwed while the wealthy in this country who precipitated the financial crisis have walked away even wealthier even as they've escaped punishment.

It's going to come back to haunt you because the movement has merit. Average Americans have gotten royally screwed while the wealthy in this country who precipitated the financial crisis have walked away even wealthier even as they've escaped punishment.

what a crock of bullshit. you lefties demonize the right every breath you take so sit down and stfu with your pious bullshit.

what a crock of bullshit. you lefties demonize the right every breath you take so sit down and stfu with your pious bullshit.

Sadly, I believe that a great many average middle-class conservatives are unfortunately duped by the wealthy interests in this country to support their interests at the expense of your own interests. That's not surprising since the vast majority of RW conservative radio talk show hosts are members of the 1%. Naturally, THEIR position is more in line with the wealthiest people in this country. So, when I hear about the ditto heads walking in lock step to the pronouncements of a multimillionaire radio talk show host like Rush Limbaugh, I ask myself just what will it take for you guys to wake up and see that you're not being led. You're being herded.

For example, I just started another thread about REAL class warfare in this country. Many banks are guilty of engaging in fraudulent foreclosures on peoples' homes, including active duty military personnel. The banks now want some kind of immunity.

Now, let me ask YOU a question. Do you think the men and women who run those banks give a damn whether they're illegally foreclosing on the homes of average Americans who just so happen to be conservative in their political views?

Sadly, I believe that a great many average middle-class conservatives are unfortunately duped by the wealthy interests in this country to support their interests at the expense of your own interests. That's not surprising since the vast majority of RW conservative radio talk show hosts are members of the 1%. Naturally, THEIR position is more in line with the wealthiest people in this country. So, when I hear about the ditto heads walking in lock step to the pronouncements of a multimillionaire radio talk show host like Rush Limbaugh, I ask myself just what will it take for you guys to wake up and see that you're not being led. You're being herded.

For example, I just started another thread about REAL class warfare in this country. Many banks are guilty of engaging in fraudulent foreclosures on peoples' homes, including active duty military personnel. The banks now want some kind of immunity.

Now, let me ask YOU a question. Do you think the men and women who run those banks give a damn whether they're illegally foreclosing on the homes of average Americans who just so happen to be conservative in their political views?

I've asked the question a million times. What do you commies intend to replace corporations and capitalism with? The secrets in da sauce.

I've asked the question a million times. What do you commies intend to replace corporations and capitalism with? The secrets in da sauce.

Why do you conservatives make unwarranted jumps in logic? Capitalism is a fine system. But capitalism without legal accountability for illegal acts is akin to the wild west when men acted with impunity. In fact, continuing to coddle powerful corporate men and women who commit illegal acts by constantly granting them immunity when they get caught breaking the law only serves to undermine the credibility of our very system by destroying confidence in the system itself. If you don't believe me, take a look at all those Mideastern countries with people protesting in the streets. Or you could review how and why Eastern Europe protested against and ultimately overthrew communism. Their system was gamed to greatly benefit communist party members at the expense of everyone else. In THEIR system, the power of communist party members was the equivalent of the power of our richest corporations and the people who run them.

Why do you conservatives make unwarranted jumps in logic? Capitalism is a fine system. But capitalism without legal accountability for illegal acts is akin to the wild west when men acted with impunity. In fact, continuing to coddle powerful corporate men and women who commit illegal acts by constantly granting them immunity when they get caught breaking the law only serves to undermine the credibility of our very system by destroying confidence in the system itself. If you don't believe me, take a look at all those Mideastern countries with people protesting in the streets. Or you could review how and why Eastern Europe protested against and ultimately overthrew communism. Their system was gamed to greatly benefit communist party members at the expense of everyone else. In THEIR system, the power of communist party members was the equivalent of the power of our richest corporations and the people who run them.

so after you've strangled them with your regulatory panels with unlimited power what will you replace them with when they leave? can you answer that question or knot?

Forum List

Back