Cohersion

Discussion in 'Military' started by RetiredGySgt, Sep 1, 2007.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,028
  2. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    what does the word cohersion mean?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm thinking coersion, but who knows?

4. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    maybe cohesion?

5. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

lol
    what does the word "coersion" mean?

coercion, perhaps?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Ruby

Ruby Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Currently we have a volunteer military but that dosent mean there arent aspects of coercion involved. Financial coercions, patriotic coercions (fall into the propaganda category which contain many numerous sub coercions within it), those who misplaced their trust and were already in the service when the orders to wage an illegal war were made etc.

That means their fault in serving Iraq is mitigated by those factors but of course it dosent mean they have NO responsibility for aiding an illegal cause.

I never used the word FORCED either. I dont suggest you try to characterize my views, you have proven to be quite bad at it. If we have a draft then we will have to use the word FORCED...until then we have elements of coercion.

I think this soldier highlighted some of the coercion pretty well.

http://armyofdude.blogspot.com/

and

Lets not bury our head and pretend not to see coercive elements here. Lets not pretend that the glamorization of war, the patriotic duty, the sign on bonuses, the college money etc are all not coercive enticements.

7. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,128
    Well, maybe because of my experience in the Private Sector, I look at this a little differently.

In my early 30's I was a Buyer fo a major Department store that had it's pressense across the entire SunBelt, minus California....but pretty much most of the South, texas and a little farther west...

Anyway, I worked in their Florida Division, in the Corporate/Buyer's office in ST. pete....this was over 10 years ago....

We recruited college grads from the State Schools, promising them that we will eventually make them buyers, (if they succeed, which was not emphasized), I think we hired them right out of college at $28k, which was not bad at the time, especially for how low the cost of living was in Florida, (before this real estate boom.... that happened there).

Anyway, the deal was that we hired the college grads as the Buyer's "Trainees" so when they first were hired, they had a monday through friday schedule, 9 am - 6 pm, working by our sides in the Buyer's Office, which was exciting for them... vendors coming in all the time, presenting their merchandise for the buyers to choose, the wheeling and dealing over cost, and delivery, and exclusivity, and dating, and discounts etc.... fun. They were to do this for 3-6 months.

but then the next step was that they were to go in to the Stores, working as Managers of a department or asst. mgrs..... WHICH WE DID NOT EMPHASIZE....had hours of hell, included iron days of opening the store to closing the store, inventories that including working 3 24 hour days straight or you were ridiculed as a softy needing beauty sleep, weekend hours constantly, or night shift at Christmas where the Stopres did not close until midnight....

I can go on and on.....how horrible working in the Stores as a manger is....I did it myself in my youth and I always considered it paying my dues but things have gotten even worse at the Store level since then, with eliminating personel depts, and even credit depts now, and stock help, putting more and more on to the supposed sales manager and sales people....

Then, after paying your dues, IF AND ONLY IF ONE OF THE EXISTING BUYERS QUIT, these people would end up becoming buyers.... I would say maybe a 6-10 years wait, of busting their butts in the Stores, in hopes of making it in to the Buyer's Office.

So, the Company had a PLAN to hook these new graduates, that was very deceitful, when looking back on it and I believe it included coercion, only in a different manner.....promises that were unlikely to be met.

Included in pressures of keeping the Trainees at the store level, promising them that a buyer's position would open soon....

care

8. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I have no idea what you are implying by the word in your thread title. I don't even think its a word in the english language.

Did you mean "coercion"?

9. Darwin

Darwin Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So, you are saying that your military is not coerced, or forced to commit crimes against humanity, but do it of their own free will? Not very surprising considering how much propaganda the average US citizen seem to be fed, I guess. :eusa_think:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Damn or is that dam? My bad! :bowdown: