Cockpit window crack forces ANA Boeing flight in Japan to turn back

Two of the many incidents I was involved with were fires onboard. Both landed safely. Another was a fully loaded F-16 in Afghanistan that took a sudden left turn on the runway. Pilot was able to keep it from crashing.

The more I know about commercial airlines the more I am amazed more of them don't crash more often. So often, the initial failure leads to other problems because of interdependence, like when an engine fails and it turns out that this one engine is the source of power for powering the instruments which help you identify that your engine has failed. Then there is the rampant use of aftermarket parts which are either used or cheap substitutes to save on the cost of the approved part.

Or how airlines don't follow manufacturer guidelines on how to replace an engine and take shortcuts leading to the engine's failure. Yum. Now, I know the NTSA has addressed many of these things, still, they went on for years and stuff still goes on undetected.

Like you say, there is very little the airline can afford to lose or have go wrong and still make its flight.

Best people for the job were not at hand, duh.
Again, how do you know that? You don’t even know how this happened. You weren’t part of the investigation. You weren’t privy to who built the plane or installed the window. You don’t know anything at all. You’re speaking from a position of pure bias and prejudice.

Again, how do you know that? You don’t even know how this happened. You weren’t part of the investigation. You weren’t privy to who built the plane or installed the window. You don’t know anything at all. You’re speaking from a position of pure bias and prejudice.

For all we know, the windshield was hit by a small meteorite or falling russian or chinese space junk and there was no fault of the plane.

Boeing says it hires based upon sex and skin pigmentation.

Talent is not mentioned anymore.

Their newest CEO said several years ago he was going to take Boeing from being an Engineering company to a business based company that was more profitable.

Well, he took out the importance of engineering and is more worried about bonuses.

Epic failure on future profits, but that’s typical these days with biz executives. Gut a company and milk it for personal profit then leave with your hundreds of millions in the bank.

Well, what about the landing gear light? There have been planes which needed to land due to some issue but the landing gear light did not light when they lowered the lander gear indicating it was locked in place. So they had to climb down and try to look through a window to visually see if the gear was in place and it turned out it was just a burned out lamp.

That was a malfunction, yet did it cause any harm? They still landed and no one was hurt. We are talking about degrees here. Any malfunction which still allows the plane to function and land safely is a lot better than one which causes a severe loss of control ultimately crashing the jet.
I’m not saying it’s bad a backup worked. I’m saying that backup is in use because you’ve got one last shot at surviving.

FYI - in the example I used it was an F-16 fully loaded with bombs that took a sharp turn off the runway when the steering mechanism failed.
No backup in that case.

Forum List

Back