Coal is DEAD, and Now KY Residents Are Seeing Real World Affects of It

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
Due to the decline of coal production in Kentucky, a Martin County Kentucky Sheriff has been forced to shut down the county police force. They were operating off of taxes from coal, and it just isn't there anymore. It is time for the government to really ramp up the re-education programs for people that live in these areas so that the counties can get new revenue sources!

"A county sheriff in Kentucky suggested residents “lock your doors, load your guns and get a biting, barking dog” after he announced he is suspending all law enforcement activities due to a lack of funding.

Martin County Sheriff John Kirk told the county fiscal court in an unannounced appearance that his office is still owed a $75,000 payment from last month that it had yet not received, according to The Associated Press.

Kirk said he let the sheriff’s office bookkeeper go and reduced office hours to 20 per week.

“I have been your Sheriff for over four years now. It has been a struggle to try to keep 24 hour protection for you and your family. I have had to operate the last little bit with just myself and one other paid deputy,” Kirk wrote in a Facebook post last week.

“I’m very sorry to tell you this but I want the fine folks of this county to know the truth. WE ARE BROKE,” he added."

Kentucky sheriff suspends enforcement over lack of funding: ‘Lock your doors, load your guns’

U.S. News and World Report ranks an Eastern Kentucky county as the worst-performing white-majority county in the nation in a special report released Tuesday that analyzes links between race, geography and health outcomes.

The report analyzed a number of health and economic factors, including job availability, prevalence of various diseases, smoking rates, housing affordability, and air and water quality.

Read more here: This Kentucky county is the worst-performing white-majority county in the nation

U.S. News and World Report ranks an Eastern Kentucky county as the worst-performing white-majority county in the nation in a special report released Tuesday that analyzes links between race, geography and health outcomes.

The report analyzed a number of health and economic factors, including job availability, prevalence of various diseases, smoking rates, housing affordability, and air and water quality.

Read more here: This Kentucky county is the worst-performing white-majority county in the nation
If some form of economic activity is dying, let it die properly. White males are last on the list as "privileged". You are seeing it in that county if there is a lot of poverty. And there are a growing amount of white males becoming impoverished.

If some form of economic activity is dying, let it die properly. White males are last on the list as "privileged". You are seeing it in that county if there is a lot of poverty. And there are a growing amount of white males becoming impoverished.

Maybe they have been privileged for too long.

'Coal is DEAD"
Wonder how that happened.
“If somebody wants to build a coal-fired power plant, they can. It’s just that it will bankrupt them,” “Under my plan electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket.”
President Obama on his cap and trade plan.

Looks like to me Trumponomics is finally settling into the red states that voted for DJT. MAGA beotchez!

'Coal is DEAD"
“If somebody wants to build a coal-fired power plant, they can. It’s just that it will bankrupt them,” “Under my plan electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket.”

Please provide a credible link of where he said that?

Due to the decline of coal production in Kentucky, a Martin County Kentucky Sheriff has been forced to shut down the county police force. They were operating off of taxes from coal, and it just isn't there anymore. It is time for the government to really ramp up the re-education programs for people that live in these areas so that the counties can get new revenue sources!

"A county sheriff in Kentucky suggested residents “lock your doors, load your guns and get a biting, barking dog” after he announced he is suspending all law enforcement activities due to a lack of funding.

Martin County Sheriff John Kirk told the county fiscal court in an unannounced appearance that his office is still owed a $75,000 payment from last month that it had yet not received, according to The Associated Press.

Kirk said he let the sheriff’s office bookkeeper go and reduced office hours to 20 per week.

“I have been your Sheriff for over four years now. It has been a struggle to try to keep 24 hour protection for you and your family. I have had to operate the last little bit with just myself and one other paid deputy,” Kirk wrote in a Facebook post last week.

“I’m very sorry to tell you this but I want the fine folks of this county to know the truth. WE ARE BROKE,” he added."

Kentucky sheriff suspends enforcement over lack of funding: ‘Lock your doors, load your guns’
Lol
Fuck face, Most Coal comes from Wyoming... dumbass

Lol
Fuck face, Most Coal comes from Wyoming... dumbass

Cupcake, it's a different Coal. The Western Coal burns dirty while the Applachian Coal burns fairly clean in comparison. BTW, in case you have been under a rock, yesterday, I saw a long line of loaded Coal Cars waiting to be transported. It used to be all hours of the day that loaded trains would pull out. Not, they hold the cars until they get the 105 car train before they ship it out of the holding yard. That happens about once a week. They used to have the coal sold when they dug it up and were guaranteed that they could sell as much or more than they could process. Today, they have to find a market before they mine the coal. The biggest use of Western Coal is coal fired electric plants. Something like 40% of the Plants today are Natural Gas while Coal has slipped to about 20%. And Coal is slipping more and more each year. You seem to believe that Wyoming is the only coal producer. I think you should ask New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada and a few others if they have any coal. The difference is, we don't let the coal companies strip the whole damned mountain top off to get it. Your little Hills really don't rate being called part of the Rocky Mountains.

The Annual Coal Report (ACR) provides annual data on U.S. coal production, number of mines, productive capacity, recoverable reserves, employment, productivity, consumption, stocks, and prices. All data for 2017 and previous years are final.

Highlights for 2017:

• U.S. coal production increased 6.4% year over year to 774.6 million short tons (MMst).
  • The total productive capacity of U.S. coal mines was 1,058.6 MMst, a decrease of 0.9% from the 2016 level.
  • The average number of employees at U.S. coal mines increased 2.4% from the 2016 level to 53,051 employees.
  • U.S. coal mining productivity, as measured by average production per employee hour, decreased 0.9% from the 2016 level to 6.55 short tons per employee hour.
  • U.S. coal consumption decreased 1.9% from the 2016 level to 716.9 MMst. The electric power sector accounted for about 92.8% of the total U.S. coal consumed in 2017.
  • Average sales price of bituminous coal was $55.60 per short ton, a 14.9% increase from the 2016 level. The average sales price of subbituminous coal was $14.29 per short ton, a 3.6% decrease from the 2016 level. The average sales price of thermal coal decreased by 3.0% from the 2016 level to $26.53 per short ton., The average sales price of metallurgical coal increased 61.76% from the 2016 level to $132.82 per short ton.
  • Total U.S. coal stocks ended at 167.0 MMst, 13.7% lower than at the same time in 2016. Electric power coal stocks decrease by 24.8 MMst to 137.7 MMst at the end of 2017.
==============================
Coal is fading as a fuel for electricity mainly due to the tremendous increase in natural gas production due to fracking, thus making natural gas by far the cheapest fuel IN THE U.S.

Overseas, despite the warnings of AGW alarmists, third-world and developing countries are building new coal-fired plants in large numbers, and U.S. coal mines are a viable source for those plants in the middle and long term. The biggest threat to jobs is automation, as it has been for generations.

The good thing is that we have a President who is not openly hostile to the industry, and will do everything in his power to help it thrive.

Way to go Obungles, ya big eared disaster

'Coal is DEAD"

Here ya go- yeah, your boy said it.

The Annual Coal Report (ACR) provides annual data on U.S. coal production, number of mines, productive capacity, recoverable reserves, employment, productivity, consumption, stocks, and prices. All data for 2017 and previous years are final.

Highlights for 2017:

• U.S. coal production increased 6.4% year over year to 774.6 million short tons (MMst).
  • The total productive capacity of U.S. coal mines was 1,058.6 MMst, a decrease of 0.9% from the 2016 level.
  • The average number of employees at U.S. coal mines increased 2.4% from the 2016 level to 53,051 employees.
  • U.S. coal mining productivity, as measured by average production per employee hour, decreased 0.9% from the 2016 level to 6.55 short tons per employee hour.
  • U.S. coal consumption decreased 1.9% from the 2016 level to 716.9 MMst. The electric power sector accounted for about 92.8% of the total U.S. coal consumed in 2017.
  • Average sales price of bituminous coal was $55.60 per short ton, a 14.9% increase from the 2016 level. The average sales price of subbituminous coal was $14.29 per short ton, a 3.6% decrease from the 2016 level. The average sales price of thermal coal decreased by 3.0% from the 2016 level to $26.53 per short ton., The average sales price of metallurgical coal increased 61.76% from the 2016 level to $132.82 per short ton.
  • Total U.S. coal stocks ended at 167.0 MMst, 13.7% lower than at the same time in 2016. Electric power coal stocks decrease by 24.8 MMst to 137.7 MMst at the end of 2017.
==============================
Coal is fading as a fuel for electricity mainly due to the tremendous increase in natural gas production due to fracking, thus making natural gas by far the cheapest fuel IN THE U.S.

Overseas, despite the warnings of AGW alarmists, third-world and developing countries are building new coal-fired plants in large numbers, and U.S. coal mines are a viable source for those plants in the middle and long term. The biggest threat to jobs is automation, as it has been for generations.

The good thing is that we have a President who is not openly hostile to the industry, and will do everything in his power to help it thrive.

Once again, you are giving the Orange one credit for something he has absolutely nothing to do with. The Eastern Coal is getting literally shut down while the Western Coal is starting to ship again but not at the rate it used to. You can't automate Coal mining any more than it already is so the only way to lose the jobs is to decrease the tonnage of mining. And we have been hit hard for jobs. Not as hard hit as the eastern states but it's felt. How can I tell? I live about a quarter of a mile from the holding rail yards where they hold the coal cars putting together the 105 car trains. It takes about 3 trains from the short lines to make up that 105 car train. They used to be running a train about every hour on the short line and shipping a 105 train every 4 hours 24 hours a day. Today, they can take up to a week to get the 105 car train ready. It mostly just sits there. The Mines are working part time these days. Some have done hard layoffs so their remaining workers can work 40 hours a week. It used to be that all the crews were getting more like 60 hours a week before the layoffs.

This type of coal mines easier than the Eastern Coal but it burns dirtier and is only used for Powerplants. But the US Powerplants have reduced to about 20% these days. It used to be about 80% or more. Yes, we are shipping overseas. But there are some politics going on. A company wanted to do a Natural Gas Pipeline from Colorado to Oregon and convert it to LNG there and ship it to Japan and other countries. They had tons of customers. These are manyof the same ones that buy the coal from us. But they would rather buy the LNG. The Oil and Coal Industry lobbied against it and blocked it. Colorado has an excess of Natural Gas and it would have meant a whole lot of JOBS. That a lot of Js Os Bs and Ss. far and above the oil and coal jobs we have. And could have put some of the out of work Coal Miners to work in another field. But the powers in charge wouldn't have got their big share of the pie.

'Coal is DEAD"

True but there is more to the rest of the story:
Pence claims that Obama said energy costs will skyrocket with a cap-and-trade plan

"Under my plan of a cap-and-trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket," Obama told the Chronicle . "Coal-powered plants, you know, natural gas, you name it, whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers."

While Obama was talking specifically about cap-and-trade, he was also making a larger point that the biggest challenge will be making sure voters understand why such a plan is necessary.

"The problem is can you get the American people to say this is really important," Obama said.

Last edited:
'Coal is DEAD"

True but there is more to the rest of the story:
Pence claims that Obama said energy costs will skyrocket with a cap-and-trade plan

Pence was talking about more Nuclear Power. Okay, you built a lot more Nuclear Plants. In 20 years, you have to replace your spent rods. Not a problem getting new ones. Now what do you do with the old ones. It's a real problem storing the old ones. They are NOT biodegradable. They have to be stored in underground bunkers for the next hundred thousand or so years or longer. What do you do when you run out of the middle of nowhere desert lands?

Forum List

Back