CO Muslims Seek Mtg with Tancredo Over ‘Bomb Mecca’ Remark

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by -Cp, Jul 19, 2005.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    CO Muslims Seek Mtg with Tancredo Over ‘Bomb Mecca’ Remark

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 7/18/05) – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said today that it is working with leaders of the Colorado Muslim community to set up a meeting with Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) over his recent remarks suggesting support for bombing Mecca, Islam's holiest site. Tancredo made the remarks during an interview on the Pat Campbell Show in Florida last Thursday discussing what should be done in response to an attack on this country by “extremist fundamentalist Muslims.” Tancredo said one possible response would be to “take out their holy sites.” When Campbell asked if the congressman was “talking about bombing Mecca,” Tancredo replied, “Yeah.” To listen to an excerpt of the interview, go to: http://www.cairfl.org/audio/Tancredo_comments_071405.mp3 On Sunday, Tancredo released a statement saying he was just trying to figure out how the United States could deter future attacks. The statement said: "Among the many things we might do to prevent such an attack on America would be to lay out there as a possibility the destruction of these sites.”

“I do not advocate this,” said Tancredo in his statement. “Much more thought would need to be given to the potential ramifications of such a horrific response." SEE: “Tancredo Clarifies 'Ultimate Response'” http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_3934448,00.html CAIR said local and national Republican leaders should repudiate the congressman's remarks and Tancredo himself should apologize immediately to the people of Colorado and to the American Muslim community. The Washington-based council asked Muslims and other people of conscience to contact the Republican Party to ask for an apology and repudiation of the offensive statements. (E-Mail: info@gop.com, Copy to: cair@cair-net.org )

CAIR, America's largest Muslim civil liberties group, has 31 offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding. To read CAIR's Mission, Vision Statement and Core Principles, go to: http://www.cair-net.org/default.asp?Page=About

http://www.cair-net.org/asp/printthis.asp?id=1661&page=NR

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    CAIR puts a pc face on murderous positions.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I guess they didn't understand him the first time. :scratch:

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Televise it

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    This is just a typical, PC witchhunt. Taken in context of what Tancredo said, he said nothing wrong and I'd be damned if I would apologize. Everyone's speculating and second-guessing his intent -- if they aren't outright attacking him -- when he already explained it as a hypothetical answer to a hypothetical question.

6. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I don't think that the threat to destroy Mecca would deter these terrorists. I don't think they care one iota for Islam or other Muslims. Retaliation will have to be aimed at the states (governments) that aid and sponsor terrorism.

7. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Oh, so they CAN move their butts and they CAN get vocal?

Where are they the rest of the time - like when NY & London get bombed? :wtf:

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hugh Hewitt, not exactly Mr. Liberal:

http://hughhewitt.com/#postid1815

9. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Mr T backed down. I was personally happy to hear the original comment about whacking mosques. Then his comment about "I do not advocate this" is backing down from what should be an item of national will.

CAIR can thank God (not Allah or Budda) that GW is in charge and not me. I'd hold a mosque lottery every time a car bomb goes off and let the closest air or arty unit turn it into powder.

I would make reprisals of biblical proportions. Since this is a holy war, I guess it's appropriate.

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    CAIR is a terrorist support group based in the US. Four of their "leaders" have been incarcerated. They issue statements in support of Hezbollah, and other terrorist organizations.

This is not a group of "peaceful" Muslims demanding an apology.