CO Muslims Seek Mtg with Tancredo Over ‘Bomb Mecca’ Remark

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 7/18/05) – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said today that it is working with leaders of the Colorado Muslim community to set up a meeting with Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) over his recent remarks suggesting support for bombing Mecca, Islam's holiest site. Tancredo made the remarks during an interview on the Pat Campbell Show in Florida last Thursday discussing what should be done in response to an attack on this country by “extremist fundamentalist Muslims.” Tancredo said one possible response would be to “take out their holy sites.” When Campbell asked if the congressman was “talking about bombing Mecca,” Tancredo replied, “Yeah.” To listen to an excerpt of the interview, go to: http://www.cairfl.org/audio/Tancredo_comments_071405.mp3 On Sunday, Tancredo released a statement saying he was just trying to figure out how the United States could deter future attacks. The statement said: "Among the many things we might do to prevent such an attack on America would be to lay out there as a possibility the destruction of these sites.”

“I do not advocate this,” said Tancredo in his statement. “Much more thought would need to be given to the potential ramifications of such a horrific response." SEE: “Tancredo Clarifies 'Ultimate Response'” http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_3934448,00.html CAIR said local and national Republican leaders should repudiate the congressman's remarks and Tancredo himself should apologize immediately to the people of Colorado and to the American Muslim community. The Washington-based council asked Muslims and other people of conscience to contact the Republican Party to ask for an apology and repudiation of the offensive statements. (E-Mail: [email protected], Copy to: [email protected] )

CAIR, America's largest Muslim civil liberties group, has 31 offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding. To read CAIR's Mission, Vision Statement and Core Principles, go to: http://www.cair-net.org/default.asp?Page=About

http://www.cair-net.org/asp/printthis.asp?id=1661&page=NR

-Cp said:

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 7/18/05) – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said today that it is working with leaders of the Colorado Muslim community to set up a meeting with Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) over his recent remarks suggesting support for bombing Mecca, Islam's holiest site. Tancredo made the remarks during an interview on the Pat Campbell Show in Florida last Thursday discussing what should be done in response to an attack on this country by “extremist fundamentalist Muslims.” Tancredo said one possible response would be to “take out their holy sites.” When Campbell asked if the congressman was “talking about bombing Mecca,” Tancredo replied, “Yeah.” To listen to an excerpt of the interview, go to: http://www.cairfl.org/audio/Tancredo_comments_071405.mp3 On Sunday, Tancredo released a statement saying he was just trying to figure out how the United States could deter future attacks. The statement said: "Among the many things we might do to prevent such an attack on America would be to lay out there as a possibility the destruction of these sites.”

“I do not advocate this,” said Tancredo in his statement. “Much more thought would need to be given to the potential ramifications of such a horrific response." SEE: “Tancredo Clarifies 'Ultimate Response'” http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_3934448,00.html CAIR said local and national Republican leaders should repudiate the congressman's remarks and Tancredo himself should apologize immediately to the people of Colorado and to the American Muslim community. The Washington-based council asked Muslims and other people of conscience to contact the Republican Party to ask for an apology and repudiation of the offensive statements. (E-Mail: [email protected], Copy to: [email protected] )

CAIR, America's largest Muslim civil liberties group, has 31 offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding. To read CAIR's Mission, Vision Statement and Core Principles, go to: http://www.cair-net.org/default.asp?Page=About

CAIR puts a pc face on murderous positions.

-Cp said:

I guess they didn't understand him the first time. :scratch:

dilloduck said:
Televise it

This is just a typical, PC witchhunt. Taken in context of what Tancredo said, he said nothing wrong and I'd be damned if I would apologize. Everyone's speculating and second-guessing his intent -- if they aren't outright attacking him -- when he already explained it as a hypothetical answer to a hypothetical question.

I don't think that the threat to destroy Mecca would deter these terrorists. I don't think they care one iota for Islam or other Muslims. Retaliation will have to be aimed at the states (governments) that aid and sponsor terrorism.

Oh, so they CAN move their butts and they CAN get vocal?

Where are they the rest of the time - like when NY & London get bombed? :wtf:

Hugh Hewitt, not exactly Mr. Liberal:

http://hughhewitt.com/#postid1815

Monday, July 18, 2005

Posted at 5:40 PM, Pacific

The Tancredo Blunder

Donald Sensing has all the links that really matter on the Tancredo blunder. (HT: StonesCryOut.) Pastor Sensing notes that I corrected the first post to specifically note that Congressman Tancredo talked of "bombing" Mecca, not "nuking" Mecca. The actual audio is available to anyone now at the website for WFLA 540 in Orlando. Note two things. First, Congressman Tancredo said that if we determined that "extremist fundamentalist Muslims" attacked the U.S. with nukes, then we should bomb Mecca. Why, he should be asked, if "extremist fundamentalist" Muslims are guilty would we declare war on all Muslims? Why make the distinction about "extremist, fundamentalist" Muslims if the distinction doesn't matter in our response. Second, the Congressman also said "the most draconian measures" should be on the table." He didn't say "nuke," but it is a fair inference.

Tancredo is no doubt being inundated with "Stand tall Tom!" calls and e-mails from the anti-Islam crowd. This is a fringe opinion, but its supporters are not afraid of voicing it, much like the pro-Durbin remarks crowd on the left fringe urged Durbin to stand tall when he compared the American military to Nazis and Pol Pot's killers. This creates a problem for Tancredo: He will offend this very loud portion of his support by regretting and retracting his remarks which he surely must do, and the sooner the better.

The remarks he made are a positive disservice to the United States, for all the reasons Durbin's were. He has to retract them. And he ought to apologize to every Muslim soldier, sailor, airman and Marine for suggesting that the way to respond to an attack on America is to attack their faith.

I have been hearing from people who urge that Tancredo is just voicing the updated version of the MAD doctrine which kept the USSR at bay through the long years of the Cold War. That's silly. Destroying Mecca wouldn't destroy Islam. It would enrage and unify Islam across every country in the world where Muslims lived.

Let me be blunt: There is no strategic value to bombing Mecca even after a devastating attack on the U.S. In fact, such an action would be a strategic blunder without historical parallel, except perhaps Hitler's attack on Stalin. Anyone defending Tancredo's remarks has got to make a case for why such a bombing would be effective.

Take down the Syrian regime? You bet. Replace the House of Saud? Fine. Bomb every nuclear facility in Tehran? Absolutely. The US would respond to a savage attack with fury --but purposeful fury. Bombing Mecca would be the opposite of purposeful fury.

Those who support him have to explain what the strategic value of such a response would be. There is none.

UPDATE: More at CaptainsQuarters, RovingTheologian OneClearCall, OpaqueLucidity Brainster's Bogus Gold and Mark Daniels.

I want to be very clear on this. No responsible American can endorse the idea that the U.S. is in a war with Islam. That is repugnant and wrong, and bloggers and writers and would-be bloggers and writers have to chose sides on this, especially if you are a center-right blogger. The idea that all of Islam is the problem is a fringe opinion. It cannot be welcomed into mainstream thought because it is factually wrong. If Tancredo's blunder does not offend you, then you do not understand the GWOT. Yoni Tidi is a frequent and popular guest on my program, a deeply religious Jew and a retired major from the Israeli security services. On the program tonight he condemned the idea of attacking Mecca or any other target that is "Muslim" as opposed to "terrorist-supporting." We are not in a war with devout Muslims. We are in a war with Muslims who think that their faith compels them to kill non-believers and the nations that support those extremists.

A SCOTUS nomination will sweep Congressman Tancredo's remarks from the headlines, but I hope center-right bloggers will stand up and be counted on this issue. And I really hope that Congressman Tancredo, a fundamentally good man, will appear and regret his comments in unequivocal terms. Congressman Tancredo has seen the aftermath of Islamist terrorism up close when he visited Beslan. He knows the cost of encouraging such violence. I believe he will want to make clear that the vast majority of Muslims do not support that kind of butchery.

Mr T backed down. I was personally happy to hear the original comment about whacking mosques. Then his comment about "I do not advocate this" is backing down from what should be an item of national will.

CAIR can thank God (not Allah or Budda) that GW is in charge and not me. I'd hold a mosque lottery every time a car bomb goes off and let the closest air or arty unit turn it into powder.

I would make reprisals of biblical proportions. Since this is a holy war, I guess it's appropriate.

CAIR is a terrorist support group based in the US. Four of their "leaders" have been incarcerated. They issue statements in support of Hezbollah, and other terrorist organizations.

This is not a group of "peaceful" Muslims demanding an apology.

no1tovote4 said:
CAIR is a terrorist support group based in the US. Four of their "leaders" have been incarcerated. They issue statements in support of Hezbollah, and other terrorist organizations.

This is not a group of "peaceful" Muslims demanding an apology.

Dang wanted to rep but can't. Yep, same as what I was saying in #2 post! :thup:

MissileMan said:
I don't think that the threat to destroy Mecca would deter these terrorists. I don't think they care one iota for Islam or other Muslims. Retaliation will have to be aimed at the states (governments) that aid and sponsor terrorism.

He wasn't speaking of retaliation but threat. There is a difference. IMO he was speaking of an attempt is to get the "regular" Muslims to begin to police their own religious zealots. To make the cost of their silence (and thus their implication of support) too high.

no1tovote4 said:
He wasn't speaking of retaliation but threat. There is a difference. IMO he was speaking of an attempt is to get the "regular" Muslims to begin to police their own religious zealots. To make the cost of their silence (and thus their implication of support) too high.

Did you reply to the wrong post?

MissileMan said:
Did you reply to the wrong post?

No, I did not. You specifically said that it wouldn't deter "these" Muslims. I stated that I think it may have been aimed at sending a message to an entirely different group of Muslims. If it hadn't been rhetorical anyway. A Congressman doesn't set policy.

However, the only way that Terrorism will finally be deterred is if the Society that they live within begins to police the persons that commit the Terrorism. Hypothetically, as Tancredo was speaking answering a hypothetical, you make the cost too high for the society that implies support through silence, give them the nudge to begin to do what is necessary to actually end the threat of Terrorism.

no1tovote4 said:
No, I did not. You specifically said that it wouldn't deter "these" Muslims. I stated that I think it may have been aimed at sending a message to an entirely different group of Muslims. If it hadn't been rhetorical anyway. A Congressman doesn't set policy.

However, the only way that Terrorism will finally be deterred is if the Society that they live within begins to police the persons that commit the Terrorism. Hypothetically, as Tancredo was speaking answering a hypothetical, you make the cost too high for the society that implies support through silence, give them the nudge to begin to do what is necessary to actually end the threat of Terrorism.

I specifically said the THREAT to destroy Mecca would not deter TERRORISTS. For that matter, a threat of retaliation against any target is not going to deter terrorists, they care about nothing.

Retaliation against the ACTUAL, not the IMPLIED, supporters is the only rational response.

MissileMan said:
I specifically said the THREAT to destroy Mecca would not deter TERRORISTS. For that matter, a threat of retaliation against any target is not going to deter terrorists, they care about nothing.

Retaliation against the ACTUAL, not the IMPLIED, supporters is the only rational response.

IMHO-what they really hate is Americans military in Suadi Arabia and Iraq--I'd send a few thousand more as a response. Might help the boys that are there already too.

Forum List

Back