CNN Breaking News!

Ninja

Dec 30, 2006
Glorious People's Republic of California
Some police departments issue the AR-15:

picture1zs1.png

:rolleyes:

If there's going to be a piling-on in the cops let me hop in and say that the NYPD originally armed itself as a reaction to armed crooks.

No reason to pile on cops. Most that I have known just try and do their jobs as best they can. As in any other deal though, we only hear about the 10% who aren't.

The small round fired by the AR 15 is a good one for cops, it is not going to pass through to much and do damage when a shot misses the mark. Another option would be 9mm autos.

But it is not going to help when every time some gang banger gets shot his relatives get to scream prejudice and sue. We need to declare a real war on Gangs and suspend their legal rights to clear them out. Cops know who they are, they just are tied down by to many laws. They are a menace to life, to commerce and to society. A short term removal of their rights, say a year, would work wonders.

Arrest or kill as many of them as possible in a year and then return to business as usual.

The small round fired by the AR 15 is a good one for cops, it is not going to pass through to much and do damage when a shot misses the mark. Another option would be 9mm autos.

But it is not going to help when every time some gang banger gets shot his relatives get to scream prejudice and sue. We need to declare a real war on Gangs and suspend their legal rights to clear them out. Cops know who they are, they just are tied down by to many laws. They are a menace to life, to commerce and to society. A short term removal of their rights, say a year, would work wonders.

Arrest or kill as many of them as possible in a year and then return to business as usual.

Damn Guns ... you're supposed to at least give them a fair trial THEN shoot them.:lol:

Damn Guns ... you're supposed to at least give them a fair trial THEN shoot them.:lol:

They do not deserve the legal system since they just abuse it. Have the Government Declare them a hostile force, declare war on them, make them insurgents, what ever legal term they want to use and then clean the cities up. When it is over remind everyone we can and will do it again if the problem happens again.

Some police departments issue the AR-15:

picture1zs1.png

:rolleyes:

My brother when he was a State Trooper carried a fully automatic rifle in the trunk of his car. Almost all of the officer's carried them. Don't ask me what it was as I don't know guns. It seemed to have a little bit smaller barrel then the standard rifles ive seen and the clip was curved like a bannana and it was all black with a handle on the top. Copssince the early 80 have carried high powered automatic assault rifles after the incident in Los ANgeles where the cops came under fire by a couple of people with automatic weapons and were only firing back the with standard side arms and shot guns. It was a bloody day for LA and the Police Department. I can look the article and post the link if you guys want.

They do not deserve the legal system since they just abuse it. Have the Government Declare them a hostile force, declare war on them, make them insurgents, what ever legal term they want to use and then clean the cities up. When it is over remind everyone we can and will do it again if the problem happens again.

Over 50% of gang members are comprised of Illegal's.

The NYPD cops were carrying in the 1840s. At that time, LA was a little Mexican village.

According to the American Justice episide on the LAPD incident they said that Law Enforcement didn't cary automatic or high powered rifles before that, that is why they were out gunned.

According to the American Justice episide on the LAPD incident they said that Law Enforcement didn't cary automatic or high powered rifles before that, that is why they were out gunned.

Ah ... probably not where automatic weapons are concerned. SWAT teams have carried hihg-powered rifles for years.

I think Diuretic was referring to the first police force authorized to carry firearms, period.

It was the LAPD actually. That's when police departments starting to allow officers to carry.

I can only remember reading about it in this book

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/COPS-BOBBIES-AUTHORITY-HISTORY-CRIMINAL/dp/0814250130[/ame]

Some mongrel stole my copy so I can't find the exact reference.

Ah ... probably not where automatic weapons are concerned. SWAT teams have carried hihg-powered rifles for years.

I think Diuretic was referring to the first police force authorized to carry firearms, period.

On the money Gunny.....hey, as the then Cassius Clay said to a BBC reporter in England when he was there as a very young man, "you're a poet and you don't know it" (obscure reference to Ali's propensity for using impulsive rhyming phrases at press conferences during his fighting days).

Here's the piece-of-shit article:

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (CNN) -- The war on the streets is escalating. As gangs and other criminals pack more firepower, police departments say they find themselves in an arms race.
art.cop.cnn.jpg

Sgt. Laurie Pfeil practices shooting a semiautomatic weapon in Palm Beach County, Florida.

The officers say they need to level the playing field to survive. And so, on a bright October day about a dozen Palm Beach County sheriff's deputies brought out their big guns at the local firing range.

Rifles crackled. Shell casings flew. Bullets sailed at 3,200 feet per second through paper targets set up a football field's length away.
The sharpshooters weren't training for a SWAT team. These were the deputies who patrol the streets and roads from the glittery Gold Coast to the swamps of the Everglades.

The fatal shooting in September of a Miami-Dade police officer by a man using an assault weapon put all South Florida police departments on edge. Several other officers were wounded by the gunfire.

"It's not nice we have to arm ourselves like the soldiers in Iraq," said Sgt. Laurie Pfeil, who supervises a sheriff's road patrol in Palm Beach County and is now certified to carry a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle on the job. It's the civilian version of the military's M-16 used by U.S. soldiers in Iraq.

"We are like soldiers. It is a war, " says Sgt Pfeil.

Across the country, at least 62 police officers have been gunned down this year -- a record pace, said Robert Tessaro, the associate director for law enforcement relations for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.
As a result, the Brady organization supports police officers arming themselves with high-powered weapons "to protect themselves and their communities," he said.

"We're having more than one officer shot and killed a week. It's just outrageous that officers are being targeted," he said. "It's something I think all Americans should be outraged about."

He lays the blame squarely on lawmakers who allowed the assault weapons ban to expire in 2004.

Designed to be fired from the hip, assault rifles such as the AK-47 can spray at a rate of up to 600 rounds a minute in full automatic mode. It is the weapon of choice for guerillas and gangsters.

Cops prefer to squeeze off single shots in semiautomatic mode because it makes for more accurate shooting. Some semiautomatic weapon's can fire with pinpoint accuracy from as far as 100 yards away. The magazines used by law enforcement typically carry 20 or 30 rounds, adding to the ability to better respond under fire.

There's no doubt that urban street warfare, aided by a proliferation of cheap automatic weapons, has come even to Palm Beach County, once high society's vacation mecca and a retirement destination for northern snowbirds.

Assault weapons have been used to kill eight people and wound 25 here over the last two years. Authorities estimate there are about 160 gangs who boast around 7000 members.

"They don't have .38s anymore. They have AK-47s. ...They have automatic weapons now," said Sgt. Pfeil.

So the Palm Beach Sheriff's office, like many others across the county, is training and arming everyone on the force with semiautomatic assault weapons. Many officers say it's about time.

"It's different now. It's shootings on a weekly basis. Ten years ago, that just didn't happen," said Pfeil. "They don't get out and run from us anymore. They stop, and they're shooting at us."

Miami's police department also is in the process of arming every officer with an assault rifle.

"It's a little bit embarrassing that we're engaged in this, but what is the alternative?" said Miami police Chief John Timoney. He said gangs, in particular, are getting their hands on high-powered weapons with apparent ease.

"The streets of South Florida are being flooded by AK-47s and assault weapons from old Soviet bloc countries. It's driven the price down, making the availability greater," said Chief Timoney.

The Miami police department evidence room has seized AK-47s, AR-15s and an assortment of other automatic and semiautomatic weapons piled on shelves from floor to ceiling.

Chief Timoney says he started noticing an increase since the federal assault weapon ban lapsed in 2004. Since then, he says homicides in the city of Miami involving assault weapons have been up -- 18 percent last year and 20 percent this year.

The Miami Police Department said 15 of its 79 homicides last year involved assault weapons, up from the year before. So far this year, 12 of 60 killings have involved the high-powered arms.

Tessaro said he recently attended a conference for the International Association of Chiefs of Police. Among the crime scene tape, squad cars, and other law enforcement gear offered for sale was the latest in high-powered assault weapons.

But it takes time and money to arm everyone. In the case of Palm Beach Sheriff's office, about one-third of its deputies carry assault weapons. It could take a year to get everyone equipped.
Some officers aren't waiting.

Palm Beach Sheriff's deputy Carl Martin bought his own AR-15 and passed the required training.
When his department offered him one of their weapons, he gave it up to someone else who was on the waiting list. "Because there's not enough to go around," he explained.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/05/cops.guns/index.html

Hmm, Sgt. Pfeil's upset about being issed a black rifle, but she sure seems to enjoy shooting it (judging by her grin in the photo).

I like the Brady Campaign/Fraternal Order of Police spin in the article. Flash hiders and bayonet lugs kill cops! Fuck you, Robert Tessaro.

Here's the piece-of-shit article:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/05/cops.guns/index.html

Hmm, Sgt. Pfeil's upset about being issed a black rifle, but she sure seems to enjoy shooting it (judging by her grin in the photo).

I like the Brady Campaign/Fraternal Order of Police spin in the article. Flash hiders and bayonet lugs kill cops! Fuck you, Robert Tessaro.

600 rounds minute, I love the propaganda. First it would have to be fully automatic, and that is already illegal unless one has a Federal license , second a magazine holds at most 30 rounds and while you might get 2 more mags loaded in a minute those 90 rounds wont hit anything except air on full auto while doing that. The rifle climbs on full auto, that is why the military went to burst mode rather then full auto. Further there is no evidence what so ever that "gangs" and criminals prefer "assault" weapons. They are hard to hide and they are big, not easily used from the back seat of a moving car ( or the front seat) for those drive by shootings. Your not going to be carrying them concealed anywhere except under a blanket in a car or in your trunk.

The AK-47 versions sold in the states are cheap pieces of shit that are mostly Chinese. I fired one, they are crap , you can not even sight them in. At 50 yards even the best I could do was kentucky windage about 2 inches in one direction after adjusting the sights as far as they would go. I would have had to have a gunsmith work the barrel to fix it to any reasonable ability to adjust it.

Further the "assault" weapon ban is a violation of the only court decision on what weapons are protected by the second amendment. 1939 the court ruled a weapon must have a use by the military to be considered under the second amendment. The very definition of the ban is that they ARE military usable.

Forum List

Back