Cloudbleed bug: Everything you need to know

Kat

Retired Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2008
The internet has a new security bug called Cloudbleed and it's pretty bad. We explain what it is, how it affects you and what you can do.
Cloudbleed is the latest internet bug that puts users private information in jeopardy. News of the bug broke late on Thursday, but there is already a lot of confusion about it and the actual impact it has on people's information.

We compiled this as a guide to Cloudbleed and how you should respond. News of Cloudbleed is ongoing, and we'll update this article as new issues arise. Check back for new information.

What is Cloudbleed?
Cloudbleed is the name of a major security breach from the internet company Cloudflare that leaked user passwords, and other potentially sensitive information to thousands of websites over six months. The Register describes it as "sitting down at a restaurant, supposedly at a clean table, and in addition to being handed a menu, you're also handed the contents of the previous diner's wallet or purse."

The name comes from Tavis Ormandy of Google's Project Zero, who reported the bug to Cloudflare and joked about calling it Cloudbleed after the 2014 security bug Heartbleed.

Cloudbleed bug: Everything you need to know

Hopefully no one has been affected by this. It's annoying that we can't be ''safe''. I am not affected, but others are.
It's only going to get worse I suppose.

Not me, fortunately.

I have Microsoft Essentials as my anti-virus.

It blocks a whole lot of things that Norton or Symantec never caught before.

And weekly I run the viral scan to catch anything that sneaked through. Speaking of which -- it is now the weekend and time to run it again.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
I have no anti-virus anything. But I have no personal info on the net, nothing on a cloud and I am on one linux distro or another. I do have a XP machine but don't connect it to the net except for a Garmin update.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

Forum List

Back