MacBook Pro are they worth the price

The MacBook Pro I am looking at has 16g of memory and 500g of storage and the price of 2,500. Is it worth the price . Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
Depending on how computer savvy you are there is always the Hackintosh alternative. I built a MacBook Pro from a HP refurbished ProBook i5 I got for $250 with a 1 year warranty from HP and the only part I had to replace for Mac compatibility was the wifi card, that I got on eBay for $5.00. HP uses 3 different wifi cards, 2 are compatible and one isn't and I drew the short straw. I also added a 480 GB SSD for another $100.00. It only came with 4 GB ram, but I upped it to 16GB for about $50, so for a little over $400.00 I built the equivalent of what you are looking at.

Here's how:
Home | tonymacx86.com

Bought my MacBook Pro 13" in 2010 and use it everyday, all day.

Had to replace the battery about 3 years ago.

Still runs like a champ. ..... :thup:

How did you replace the battery
I see on some sites you can send in a MacBook and they send back in a few weeks , I think cost a few hundred that way

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Yes, they are worth it. I'm posting on a 2010 MacBook Pro. The battery is basically almost dead and needs to be replaced, but it's still running strong. I did also recently purchase a new iMac which is insane.

Macs are still the best computers available, and shit all over windows based garbage.

How did you replace the battery
I see on some sites you can send in a MacBook and they send back in a few weeks , I think cost a few hundred that way
There is an Apple store where I live. They replaced the battery in about 30 min and cost around $160

BestBuy also sells Apple products and has a service/repair dept.

As for the battery going out, I was using my computer with it plugged into the wall charging cord. When there was some kind of a power surge. Either a lighting strike or a transformer blew up and the whole neighborhood went black. My computer just went dead and I thought it was fried for good. Took it in and all was fine except the battery was history. (I was using a cheap $10 surge protector, I now use a much better one)

I love the Apple products keyboards. So smooth and quiet, they feel perfect to the touch. Plus they are back-lighted for typing in low light conditions, like in the evening with the room lights dimmed. ..... :cool:

I was lucky. I got a brand new Lenovo PC WIN10 Intel core 16G 64bit desktop with keyboard and USB wireless............. for free. Shipped from Amazon, but he had his IT guy add software. ~$200-300?

Some older guy at a small company needed help and asked me to do work off-line and sent me the PC. I bought a ~25' monitor at Best Buy $180 and worked as he asked.

I am a "user", I really never got into PC hardware details. I don't know jack. I used to know some UNIX. I did work on Electronic devices using special software and equipment.

footnote: he was older guy at a small company. He went in for back surgery in OCT? Back in for another round? We are now in FEB? I don't think he is coming back? I told him I would not bother him via email as he can't sit in chair. He don't call. My work dried up. I should add, I am not stealing as some of those still at said company emailed me to say "I will send you more work". But they have not. I prompted them only once, as boss guy said they very busy.

Last edited:
I was lucky. I got a brand new Lenovo PC WIN10 Intel core 16G 64bit desktop with keyboard and USB wireless............. for free. Shipped from Amazon, but he had his IT guy add software. ~$200-300?

Some older guy at a small company needed help and asked me to do work off-line and sent me the PC. I bought a ~25' monitor at Best Buy $180 and worked as he asked.

I am a "user", I really never got into PC hardware details. I don't know jack. I used to know some UNIX. I did work on Electronic devices using special software and equipment.

footnote: he was older guy at a small company. He went in for back surgery in OCT? Back in for another round? We are now in FEB? I don't think he is coming back? I told him I would not bother him via email as he can't sit in chair. He don't call. My work dried up.
When I am asked to help out it is always nothing or accidental errors. I should keep that stuff, as well.

Buy one and let us know how the over priced, over hyped computer is doing. :thup:
Which off the shelf, general use, non gamer, computer would you recommend? ..... :cool:
Any that floats your boat. The reality is percentage wise (based on market share) both Macs and PCs have about the same failure rate and Macs are just a vulnerable to attack as PCs. The question is which do you prefer, Windows, OS X or Linux. :dunno:

Non gamer I would go with a PC without an OS and load Linux Ubuntu or Mint, if you're an OS X user Linux is fairly similar so the learning curve s greatly reduced. If you're a gamer then your best bet is either a PC (Windows) or a Mac.

Last edited:

footnote: he was older guy at a small company. He went in for back surgery in OCT? Back in for another round? We are now in FEB? I don't think he is coming back? I told him I would not bother him via email as he can't sit in chair. He don't call. My work dried up. I should add, I am not stealing as some of those still at said company emailed me to say "I will send you more work". But they have not. I prompted them only once, as boss guy said they very busy.
25' (foot) monitor? COOL!!!!!!!

:D

The MacBook Pro I am looking at has 16g of memory and 500g of storage and the price of 2,500. Is it worth the price .

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

/--- I have both PCs, Macs, an iPhone, iPad, android tablet and a spiral notebook and pack of number 2 pencils. The notebook and pencil never crash, become obsolete or require updates. But to answer your question the Mac is worth it depending on the type of work you do. My friend does web design and uses software for design work and needs the Mac. I do mostly writing and editing so the cheap PCs are fine for me.

No, it is not worth it.

If you want to splurge for the name then whatever but Apple is known to be over priced. Those that own them do not care and like what they have but if you actually are looking for value then a Mac is not where you should be looking.

Forum List

Back