Clinton More Trustworthy Than Bush?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jillian, May 12, 2006.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,433
    Who'd a thunk it?

Which man would you say was more honest as president?

President Bush 26% 1060 votes

President Clinton 74% 3041 votes
    Total: 4101 votes

This QuickVote is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those Internet users who have chosen to participate. The results cannot be assumed to represent the opinions of Internet users in general, nor the public as a whole. The QuickVote sponsor is not responsible for content, functionality or the opinions expressed
    therein.

Poll: Clinton outperformed Bush

(CNN) -- In a new poll comparing President Bush's job performance with that of his predecessor, a strong majority of respondents said President Clinton outperformed Bush on a host of issues.
    The poll of 1,021 adult Americans was conducted May 5-7 by Opinion Research Corp. for CNN. It had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Respondents favored Clinton by greater than 2-to-1 margins when asked who did a better job at handling the economy (63 percent Clinton, 26 percent Bush) and solving the problems of ordinary Americans (62 percent Clinton, 25 percent Bush). (Watch whether Americans are getting nostalgic for the Clinton era -- 1:57)

On foreign affairs, the margin was 56 percent to 32 percent in Clinton's favor; on taxes, it was 51 percent to 35 percent for Clinton; and on handling natural disasters, it was 51 percent to 30 percent, also favoring Clinton.

Moreover, 59 percent said Bush has done more to divide the country, while only 27 percent said Clinton had.

When asked which man was more honest as president, poll respondents were more evenly divided, with the numbers -- 46 percent Clinton to 41 percent Bush -- falling within the poll's margin of error. The same was true for a question on handling national security: 46 percent said Clinton performed better; 42 percent picked Bush.

Clinton was impeached in 1998 over testimony he gave in a deposition about an extramarital sexual relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinksy.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/12/bush.clinton.poll/index.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    That settles it for me----from now on it's "Honest Bill" in the history books !

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    It's depressing. But I think Clinton was more of a presence-of-mind liar. Bush doesn't have the presence of mind to lie. He's just a moron.

4. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I will say the CNN poll is surprising, but I will accept it. The extreme differences in the events facing the Bush and Clinton administrations does help explain the results to me.

However, you top poll, for lack of a better word, is a complete pile of s**t. Internet polls such as the one you list are ineffective and incredibly biased. They fail to meet EVERY SINGLE criteria of a good poll. If I were you, I would take that down.

5. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    How much you want to bet the pollsters randomly selected citizens of San Francisco for this poll. They should have asked which President do think actually knows the definition of the word "is"?

6. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    Name the bet....

7. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    This proves Josef Goebbels, Hitler's minister of propaganda, right when he said "A lie told often enough is eventually accepted as the truth". It also proves that Hitler was right, the public has a short attention span and a short memory.

The Demo-rats , the MSM, and the Left (did I repeat myself?) have painted GWB as a liar, they've said it often enough, got their bleating masses of mindless granola munching followers to say it often enough so now it is seen as true.

Partly, this is Bush's fault, because his administration never challenged allegations, no matter how outrageous, by an out of control media that was out to get him. Naming Tony Snow as press secretary may help, but it won't be enough.

I see Bush as honest, but a total failure at reaching out to people. He's a terrible public speaker, is too loyal to his staff (he doesn't seem to fire those that probably should be) and tries too hard to work with the lousy stinking back stabbing Left.

His administration has been relatively free of scandal, in spite of the Left's constant attempts to manufacture one.

Clinton, on the other hand, was caught in a lie, not only on camera ("I did not have sex with that woman"), but under oath. His administration had more "gates" than the ancient city of Jerusalem (Filegate,Travelgate, Bimbogate, Whitewater-gate, Monicagate....) Clinton's administration was scandal plagued because the people he named to key positions were dishonest, just as he is.

8. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    Just because somebody doesn't come right out and lie, doesn't mean they aren't a liar. Is somebody lying if they know something but refuse to divulge something? As for the different "gates" re Clinton, the right went after him like a rabid dog. How many of those "gates" had an ounce of truth to them? There is no doubt when it came to women, Clinton was weak. Very weak. I think GW is incompetent at best. Maybe the best president of the past 14 years would have been the one with Clinton's brains and GW's morals...

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,433
    Depends on what you think is moral. I'm sure Bush's morals as regards his wife are just fine. It's his morality as regards the rest of the world that I think is a problem.

Clinton and he had it reversed...Clinton's morality as regards his wife was horrible... but as regards the rest of the world???

10. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    They don't call it "Bolshevik University" for nothing, do they?

How many of those gates had a shred of truth to them? Umm... all of them!

The "right" went after him like a rabid dog because Clinton was suspected of breaking the law. The special prosecutor's office by the way was not appointed by Congress but by the president. Clinton was prosecuted under a sexual harassment law that he signed into law.

Sure, adultery is not a crime, but lying under oath is. President Clinton did that. He lost his license to practice law in Arkansas as a result. That is not because of a vast right wing conspiracy, that is the American Bar Association's doing.

I'm no fan of GWB myself. For one thing, he is too willing to compromise on the ideals of the conservatives that put him and the Congressional Republicans in office i.e. limited government spending, lower taxation, downsizing government, improving border security, and so on. For that reason, I pray for another Ronald Reagan rather than another George W Bush.

The problem with Bush is that he is too reticent and does not explain himself well. Kennedy, FDR, Reagan all were good communicators and as a result were very popular.