Climate change: Unstable Atlantic deep ocean circulation may hasten 'tipping point'

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Date: February 20, 2014
Source: University of Bergen

Summary:
A new study looking at past climate change asks if these changes in the future will be spasmodic and abrupt rather than a more gradual increase in the temperature. Today, deep waters formed in the northern North Atlantic fill approximately half of the deep ocean globally. In the process, this helps moderate the effects of global warming. Changes in this circulation mode are considered a potential tipping point in future climate change that could have widespread and long-lasting impacts. Until now, this pattern of circulation has been considered relatively stable during warm climate states such as those projected for the end of the century. A new study suggests that Atlantic deep water formation may be much more fragile than previously realized.

Okay, I read the article and am somewhat surprised. No mention of Mankind causing this change? Read more @ Climate change: Unstable Atlantic deep ocean circulation may hasten 'tipping point' -- ScienceDaily

:eusa_whistle:

At present, we are the only force warming the earth. In the past, at the beginning and ending of the Younger Dryas, we saw a very rapid change in ocean circulation and resulting temperatures worldwide. At that time the forcing was the rapid influx of cold fresh water into the northern ocean.

Oh Gawd?

Is this now the new ruse?

What happended to pushing the whole polar vortex scam??!!! Or is this just flavor of the week? New York is going to get bashed with another round of polar V next week. Guess we can look forward to the bomb throwing on that to commence again!!!

God I love it!!:happy-1:

What would I do without you people? I'll tell you what.......life would be alot more boring!!

Okay, I read the article and am somewhat surprised. No mention of Mankind causing this change?

That's because it no longer need be stated. It is simply assumed by all. That's what happens when something becomes accepted science.

Okay, I read the article and am somewhat surprised. No mention of Mankind causing this change?

That's because it no longer need be stated. It is simply assumed by all. That's what happens when something becomes accepted science.

Really ?? You and GoldiRocks need to have a confab and get your stories straight before Skooks fractures a rib..

Really ?? You and GoldiRocks need to have a confab and get your stories straight before Skooks fractures a rib..

Do you think Old Rocks does not believe AGW to be accepted science?

Date: February 20, 2014
Source: University of Bergen

Summary:
A new study looking at past climate change asks if these changes in the future will be spasmodic and abrupt rather than a more gradual increase in the temperature. Today, deep waters formed in the northern North Atlantic fill approximately half of the deep ocean globally. In the process, this helps moderate the effects of global warming. Changes in this circulation mode are considered a potential tipping point in future climate change that could have widespread and long-lasting impacts. Until now, this pattern of circulation has been considered relatively stable during warm climate states such as those projected for the end of the century. A new study suggests that Atlantic deep water formation may be much more fragile than previously realized.

Okay, I read the article and am somewhat surprised. No mention of Mankind causing this change? Read more @ Climate change: Unstable Atlantic deep ocean circulation may hasten 'tipping point' -- ScienceDaily

This is certainly not the first time that it has been suggested that fresh meltwater could catastrophically affect the MOC and that such a change would and could have catastrophic effects on humankind. The MOC is responsible for the largest vertical circulation - the largest overturning - in the oceans. As the article noted, that cold, dense water sequesters an ENORMOUS amount of CO2. It's equatorial upwelling also supports the food chain for most of the ocean's lifeforms. Not a good thing with which to muck about.

Last edited:
There is zero scientific proof the earth is warming because of human activities. Tens of thousands of scientists concur. The only scientists who perpetuate it as a given are those up to their eyeballs in making a career out of it. Its understandable. Most people sell out for $$.

Last edited:
How do you sleep at night telling lies of that magnitude to people who KNOW you are lying?

At present, we are the only force warming the earth.

:eusa_drool: :eusa_drool: :eusa_drool: :eusa_drool:

OK, solar TSI is down, we have not had a strong El Nino since 1998, but have had the ten warmest years on record in that period. So, tell us, boy, what factors are causing the ongoing warming.

See, there's this star at the center of our "solar system" popularly known as "the Sun;"

sun_subsurface.jpg

Forum List

Back