This Bird Is Hide-And-Seek World Champion

A few years ago I was visiting Fort Rock, a tuff ring in central Oregon, and was walking the rim. A small hawk, a Merlin or Sharpshin, landed in the rocks in front of me, not further than 15 feet. As soon as it folded it's wings, it disappeared. I could not see it. I stood still for about two minutes, knowing full well I was looking at it, but unable to see it. Then I moved, and it took off. I had been looking at it the whole time. Amazing how well nature protects its own.

I was diving on Long Island, Bahamas and a school of squid came by. I approached a couple and they curled up their tentacles, wrinkled the dickens out of their skin and then turned into the color of sargasso weed. On the same trip, my dive buddy caught a small octopus. It got away from him but landed on my shoulder. I was wearing a black wetsuit with a yellow stripe down the shoulder. The octopus settled into a low rounded blob, turned black, then managed a good simulation of the texture of the neoprene, then created a yellow stripe on himself to replace the one he was sitting on.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back