Climate Change is not mentioned in my 1999 version of Oxford Dictionary of science

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
My Oxford Dictionary of Science is very thick and loaded with all issues Science. So I opened it this afternoon to read what it says about Climate change. Surely this was in the 1999 issue of this important Science dictionary. But nope.

Climate is mentioned. It even says that the Climate version we all know was conceived by Vladimir Koppen in 1918. But change is not mentioned.

How could something claimed to be settled not defined by Koppen?

It has extentive words about Climate. How you define Climate is there. The impact of geology and oceans is there.

So who the hell dreamed up climate change as an important issue? Was it Al Gore?

My Oxford Dictionary of Science is very thick and loaded with all issues Science. So I opened it this afternoon to read what it says about Climate change. Surely this was in the 1999 issue of this important Science dictionary. But nope.

Climate is mentioned. It even says that the Climate version we all know was conceived by Vladimir Koppen in 1918. But change is not mentioned.

It has extentive words about Climate. How you define Climate is there. The impact of geology and oceans is there.

So who the hell dreamed up climate change as an important issue? Was it Al Gore?
People weren't sheep yet and the global taxpayers weren't suckers funding Chinas expansion.

How far did you get in the public school system?

When did you get out of the loony bin to gain internet access?

The world wonders....
No they don't. But the forum wonders whether or not your avatar is an actual self-portrait.

Does Robert W never even make YOU shake your head?

People weren't sheep yet and the global taxpayers weren't suckers funding Chinas expansion.
Will you post details of China's expansion? I will guess you are discussing coal fired electricity plants!! Democrats always persist in downplaying the emissions by China.

Climate Change is real. It has changed for Centuries and will continue to change.
The crab have moved farther north because of a change in the ocean temperature.

I thought the argument was:

Is climate change just a natural cycle of our earth, or is climate change man made?

No they don't. But the forum wonders whether or not your avatar is an actual self-portrait.

You are criticizing me over using the Oxford version of Science?

Climate Change is real. It has changed for Centuries and will continue to change.
The crab have moved farther north because of a change in the ocean temperature.

I thought the argument was:

Is climate change just a natural cycle of our earth, or is climate change man made?
Before you say Climate change is real, do you have a study of any place it is real? Or are you simply taking the word of the left wingers?

California for example has many climates. Back in the earlier days, before this mattered, it was reported that just in the area of the San Francisco Bay, there are 5 climates.

Sigh, I wish I was that young....I could always slim down, you on the other hand will always be a CC weenie.
I have stipulated that my avatar photo dates to when I was 25 in 1963 and it shows me and my then fiancee in Berlin, Germany. But this should not bear at all on climate discussions. Also asked about my schooling. Wrapping up all of my college credits it amounts to at least a 4 year degree.

You are responsible for many shakes of the head.

Will you post details of China's expansion? I will guess you are discussing coal fired electricity plants!! Democrats always persist in downplaying the emissions by China.
It is a FACT that the US (that's the United States), China, Russia, India, etc are putting more pollutants into the environment that each contributed 200 years ago.
Industry has changed in these 200 years.

The question is: What affect does this have on the environment?

I'm not gathering scientific data, I'm not a scientist, I'll let them do their jobs and report their data.
Problem is, many people believe that scientists and the government are NOT telling the truth about the data obtained, and whatever data is actually released, that data fits whatever agenda the report wants it to fit.

I just think it is important to follow the migration patterns of Crabs and try to understand why they are moving.

The English language has no authority. Dictionaries of the English language show us how English-speaking people ARE using the language, not how they are SUPPOSED to use.

The English language has no authority. Dictionaries of the English language show us how English-speaking people ARE using the language, not how they are SUPPOSED to use.
I use the Science Dictionary about scientific things.

It is a FACT that the US (that's the United States), China, Russia, India, etc are putting more pollutants into the environment that each contributed 200 years ago.

I'm not gathering scientific data, I'm not a scientist, I'll let them do their jobs and report their data.
Problem is, many people believe that scientists and the government are NOT telling the truth about the data obtained, and whatever data is actually released, that data fits whatever agenda the report wants it to fit.

I just think it is important to follow the migration patterns of Crabs and try to understand why they are moving.
I caution all that your typical run of the mill politician is actually a Lawyer. They are not scientists. For them to talk about science is like a scientist trying to talk about laws.

When we tell others the climate is colder, the talking class of lawyer in Congress will often say it is not. I trust the scientists on climate.

I caution all that your typical run of the mill politician is actually a Lawyer. They are not scientists. For them to talk about science is like a scientist trying to talk about laws.

When we tell others the climate is colder, the talking class of lawyer in Congress will often say it is not. I trust the scientists on climate.
What scientists are telling you that the world is getting colder?

Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant, it is food for plants.

Forum List

Back