Climate change and health

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
British Medical Journal: Climate change “poses an immediate and grave threat, driving ill-health and increasing the risk of conflict, such that each feeds upon the other.” | ThinkProgress

“And like all good medicine, prevention is the key.”

The British Medical Journal has a must-read editorial reviewing and synthesizing recent reports on climate change, public health, and national security. The lead author of “Climate change, ill health, and conflict,” is Lionel Jarvis, surgeon rear admiral of the UK’s Ministry of Defence.

I repost it below in full with links to the references:

Damage to the fabric of human society is bad for human health. It can occur for reasons other than war. A recent report by the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) has highlighted that the effects of climate change will present a threat to collective security and global order in the first half of the 21st century.1 This will limit access to food, safe water, power, sanitation, and health services and drive mass migration and competition for remaining resources. Starvation, diarrhoea, and infectious diseases will become more common, and neonatal and adult mortality will rise, as a result of conflict.2 In accordance with this, in 2004, seven of the 10 countries with the highest mortality rates in children under 5 were conflict or immediate post-conflict societies.3.

British Medical Journal: Climate change “poses an immediate and grave threat, driving ill-health and increasing the risk of conflict, such that each feeds upon the other.” | ThinkProgress

The British Medical Journal has a must-read editorial reviewing and synthesizing recent reports on climate change, public health, and national security. The lead author of “Climate change, ill health, and conflict,” is Lionel Jarvis, surgeon rear admiral of the UK’s Ministry of Defence.

Damage to the fabric of human society is bad for human health. It can occur for reasons other than war. A recent report by the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) has highlighted that the effects of climate change will present a threat to collective security and global order in the first half of the 21st century.1 This will limit access to food, safe water, power, sanitation, and health services and drive mass migration and competition for remaining resources. Starvation, diarrhoea, and infectious diseases will become more common, and neonatal and adult mortality will rise, as a result of conflict.2 In accordance with this, in 2004, seven of the 10 countries with the highest mortality rates in children under 5 were conflict or immediate post-conflict societies.3.

You know............who can even respond to this crap? Responding to this would be akin to me going up to the local hospital tonight and having a conversation with a hospitalized man who swears the desk nurse is Jesus and works for the CIA.........coming back to these forums and posting up how the guy really opened my eye's up to some stuff..........

Last edited:

Hmmmm....I wonder where the most abundant life is located? I wonder where life is least abundant? Oh looky there, life is most prevelent near the equator and wow the temperature band for the equator is 70 to 90 degrees. It's allways either warm or hot at the equator and there is a lot of life.

Now look at the polar regions...not so much life there. The tropics seem to have nice stable weather patterns so that less stress is placed on critters so they don't need to evolve. It appears that evolution is really a product of the Temperate Zones where temperature variatons are normal and those help spur evolution....but that would be science.

Put simply, hot weather makes you uncomfortable, cold weather kills you.

Biology News: Life is faster in the temperate zone

One day all these stupid stories will be featured in the Manmade Global Warming Wing of the Museum of Scientific Frauds and Hoaxes

One day all these stupid stories will be featured in the Manmade Global Warming Wing of the Museum of Scientific Frauds and Hoaxes

Yes they will and that day is approaching fast.

I go away for a long while and come back to find oldsocks still peddling his propaganda... Some things never change.. Yeah, yeah the sky is falling...

So what you are saying here is that IF AGW is real and as they claim, things will get bad for the climate which will mean we will be worse to one another and our health may decline? Say it ain't so man! LOL dude that's about as enlightening as the last bunch of garbage you posted on this... IF the planets climate goes to crap of course we will treat one another worse because it will become harder to survive, and of course our health will decline from various ailments that will come from a warmer climate.

Seriously I think global warming may cause me to be in a bad mood too... One more bad thing added to it now great! The problem is there is no proof any of it will happen any time soon, so all the claims are as useful as lips on a chicken...:lol:

I go away for a long while and come back to find oldsocks still peddling his propaganda... Some things never change.. Yeah, yeah the sky is falling...

So what you are saying here is that IF AGW is real and as they claim, things will get bad for the climate which will mean we will be worse to one another and our health may decline? Say it ain't so man! LOL dude that's about as enlightening as the last bunch of garbage you posted on this... IF the planets climate goes to crap of course we will treat one another worse because it will become harder to survive, and of course our health will decline from various ailments that will come from a warmer climate.

Seriously I think global warming may cause me to be in a bad mood too... One more bad thing added to it now great! The problem is there is no proof any of it will happen any time soon, so all the claims are as useful as lips on a chicken...:lol:

Welcome back gs...........the only thing thats changed since you've been away is the forum has gotten far more entertaining. Actually.........they should re-label "The Laugh Forum", because, anybody coming into this forum now who is trying to educate themselves on the subject of global warming AND who has come in with pre-concieved warming notions cant leave without being one of the converted...........unless they're a nut.

Not sure what the forum scoreboard said when you left gs..........but heres the most recent update from a few days ago................

Roller-Derby-Scoreboard-Deluxe_4-8.png

Of course, the other thing that has changed.............and it is of critical significance...........is that politically, the green k00k contingent is in the shit shack. Nobody and I mean nobody cares about climate legislation in 2011 ( except the fringe) and I couldnt be happier. In fact, you could say Im fcukking giddy to the degree of almost hysterical. Because no matter how many thousands of posts these meatheads post up on temperature according to the "real scientists"..................in the real world.............

nobody cares

that is the only thing 100% certain posted in this forum. Believe it or not.........Old Rocks even conceeded this point just this past weekend. But fear not gs..........we have a new eccentric miserable, angry mental case on this forum now. Just scroll back through this thread........you'll find him in half a nono-second!!!:up:

Last edited:

Ah yes, the old "baffle em with BS" tactic. :lol:

I see it all now.. How could I have been so blind as to think a warmer climate would cause health problems... Wait isn't that what you just claimed? HOLY COW I AGREE WITH OLDSOCKS! Ah crap! I almost forgot, we don't know if we are warming all the time or if its even going to happen in our lifetime. And the whole CO2 being a mere 0.0387% of our atmosphere.. Dam you almost got me there ... You sneaky guy you..:lol:

Forum List

Back