Click it up another couple degrees!

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Trakar, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,729
    Indeed. We've had five feet of snow here and it's colder than hell. When is that global warming going to kick in and eliminate all this snow like they promised back in 1990?

3. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    who is "they," and what exactly did they "promise?"
    Cite or Reference?

4. The Professor

The Professor Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,581

Well, they changed it from "global warming" to "climate change." That way no matter what happens, they can blame even opposite results (global warming and global cooling)) on the same damn thing.

"Damn, Martha, sure as hell is hot right now."
    "Yeah, Clem, it's because of all this manufacturing."

"Damn,. Martha, sure as hell is cold right now."
    "Yeah, Clem, it's because of all this manufacturing."

Genius, I tells ya, pure genius.

5. westwall

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,729

Yes, I can understand how you would wish these pesky little statements would go away never to be seen by questioning minds, but, so sad for you the internet is a wonderful thing
    and the high priests little prognostications remain for all to see....

"Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community. Average temperatures in Britain were nearly 0.6°C higher in the Nineties than in 1960-90, and it is estimated that they will increase by 0.2C every decade over the coming century. Eight of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the Nineties.

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said."

WHOOOPS!

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent

6. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,993
    Winters are much less cold but global warming has nothing to do with how warm or cold it is. This is the first cold snap of winter and it is almost January.

But don't you fret about it, let your kids do the worrying. Poor thing, you have enough to worry about what with encouraging your diligent speaker to keep taxes low for the wealthiest Americans and making sure no industry is held to pollution standards.

You just keep your fat ass in that computer chair you keyboard commando you..

7. Dubya

Dubya Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Global temperatures aren't your home's thermostat. The world has had mass extinctions before, but do you want the legacy of mankind to rival that? A quick change to 2 degrees more will kill off many spieces that exist with us since we were born and destroy food production to feed the people of Earth. Just how far do you want mankind to go based on your recipe for distruction?

Willingly making our global temperature 2 degrees higher in the near future, could make mankind the most destructive event our planet has ever faced. The changes in the past happened over long periods of time and a species can adjust to that. When you quick change your planet, your killing things off and I don't want to hear nonsense about their quality to exist. The fact they are here on Earth with us gives them credentials to exist. We have no right to drive them to extinction.

I've heard about people who move their car deliberately to run over turtles and I'll give you a link. I just can't understand why some people don't care about people or their world. What happened to that responsibility talk the right-wing has been preaching to all others? Are we that much of a fool as a human being not to know that simply knowing something can't solve a problem and we have to act on what we know to solve a problem?

Rhetorical questions, here's the link about the turtles:

Source: College student's turtle project takes dark twist - Local News - Clarksburg, WV | NBC News

8. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    You seem to be mistaking, or misunderstanding, my position and climate science understandings. no harm, no foul.

9. westwall

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,729

Sure thing sweety, we are sitting at 200% of normal snow pack. Tell me in your delusional little world where warm temps equal 200% more snow.

10. westwall

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,729

I suggest you look at the paleo climate record. Whenever it has been warmer than today it has been very nice for almost ALL life. The Roman Warming Period was an exceptionally productive time for mankind and all critters. It was at least 1.5 degrees warmer 2000 years ago than it is today.

Read some history and then come back and re-engage.