Classic S.O.S. White Gravy Roast Beef Chips and Toast

This isn't too far from sausage gravy over biscuits they serve at the diner. I wonder if that's where the cooks in the service got it from?
Cooks in the service also invented Chop Suey (American goulash in upstate New York)
biscuits and gravy are like filet mignon compared to shit on a shingle

no one calls sausage gravy over biscuits shit on a biscuit
No, but chipped beef on toast doesn't look like shit on a biscuit either. Sausage gravy looks like vomit.
Blasphemy!
I guess if I ever get back to the south, I'll have to try it there, because I'll tell ya, in Maine not many people know about it and it is DISGUSTING.
Here gravy is brown. Biscuits have butter. If we want a gut buster breakfast, we order baked beans.

This isn't too far from sausage gravy over biscuits they serve at the diner. I wonder if that's where the cooks in the service got it from?
Cooks in the service also invented Chop Suey (American goulash in upstate New York)

Sounds good. I will have to try it. I mean the recipe Yios posted.
I don't know how good it is. Do me a favor and DON'T add peas, okay?
My mom also used dried chipped beef, the kind in the glass jar? Do they still sell that? It didn't need to be refrigerated. To let it rehydrate a little, I think you want to let it simmer awhile.

They sell it. I bought a jar in a fit of nostalgia, and it's waiting for me to make creamed chipped beef on toast. It was a fairly regular part of my childhood dinners.

My mom also used dried chipped beef, the kind in the glass jar? Do they still sell that? It didn't need to be refrigerated. To let it rehydrate a little, I think you want to let it simmer awhile.

They sell it. I bought a jar in a fit of nostalgia, and it's waiting for me to make creamed chipped beef on toast. It was a fairly regular part of my childhood dinners.
Good for you!!! Just don't ruin it by putting in peas, okay?
We used to have that a lot, too, but my favorite was Welsh Rarebit (Rabbit they say). I love that still.

I feel nauseous just reading the thread. We were served shit on the shingle in the Coast Guard. It looked like puke and didn't taste much better. I opted out early on and had toast or whatever.
Yeah I will eat it but it's not my favorite thing ever.

Shit on a shingle is supposed to be gravy made with canned or dried sliced beef (I think that is what they call "chipped beef") that they got in the service, and that families used to get as surplus.

Mom made us the version with chipped beef like once I think...we ate it on toast, it was okay, nothing super duper fab.

Generally speaking she made hamburger gravy or any other kind of gravy with every single supper and often at breakfast too..and often it wasn't even hamburger gravy, it was just beautiful white gravy made with bacon drippings...it was white and amazing, always. You ate that stuff on EVERYTHING. Bread, meat, potatoes, vegetables...I think it would be good on fucking cake.

I make good gravy but not as consistently amazing as mom's.

I'm making hamburger gravy tonight...and baked tatoes.

Creamed Chipped Beef Recipe - Food.com

Hamburger Gravy Recipe
Was she from the south? I went to Missouri once and at the diner for breakfast they served this little cup of white -- looked to me like wall paper paste -- with my grits. When I asked the waitress she looked at me in genuine shock and surprise and said Why, that's gravy! Never saw white gravy before or since.

You've never seen white gravy? :lol:

Think chicken fried steak mmm

white-gravy.jpg

Last edited:

No, but chipped beef on toast doesn't look like shit on a biscuit either. Sausage gravy looks like vomit.

I always tell people I don't make pretty food, but it tastes good.

My son loves my split pea and ham soup. But that is the nastiest looking food ever.....worse than sausage gravy.

I feel nauseous just reading the thread. We were served shit on the shingle in the Coast Guard. It looked like puke and didn't taste much better. I opted out early on and had toast or whatever.

Shit on a shingle is supposed to be gravy made with canned or dried sliced beef (I think that is what they call "chipped beef") that they got in the service, and that families used to get as surplus.

Mom made us the version with chipped beef like once I think...we ate it on toast, it was okay, nothing super duper fab.

Generally speaking she made hamburger gravy or any other kind of gravy with every single supper and often at breakfast too..and often it wasn't even hamburger gravy, it was just beautiful white gravy made with bacon drippings...it was white and amazing, always. You ate that stuff on EVERYTHING. Bread, meat, potatoes, vegetables...I think it would be good on fucking cake.

Hamburger Gravy Recipe
Was she from the south? I went to Missouri once and at the diner for breakfast they served this little cup of white -- looked to me like wall paper paste -- with my grits. When I asked the waitress she looked at me in genuine shock and surprise and said Why, that's gravy! Never saw white gravy before or since.

You've never seen white gravy? :lol;

white-gravy.jpg

Dammit, put the potatoes on the plate, pour gravy over potatoes and plate, then put the chicken fry on top of the gravy.

Blasphemy!
I guess if I ever get back to the south, I'll have to try it there, because I'll tell ya, in Maine not many people know about it and it is DISGUSTING.
Here gravy is brown. Biscuits have butter. If we want a gut buster breakfast, we order baked beans.
Baked beans for breakfast. You all eat them a lot?

Good for you!!! Just don't ruin it by putting in peas, okay?
We used to have that a lot, too, but my favorite was Welsh Rarebit (Rabbit they say). I love that still.

Peas? Blasphemy!

No vegetables in it. Salad on the side. Or go without.

Hamburger Gravy Recipe

white-gravy.jpg
Up here the gravy is brown, bones. I'm not kidding you. You should see what they call nachos. Or maybe you shouldn't, actually.

I always tell people I don't make pretty food, but it tastes good.

My son loves my split pea and ham soup. But that is the nastiest looking food ever.....worse than sausage gravy.
tumblr_ltn73dlDYx1qbrwtf.gif

Hamburger Gravy Recipe

white-gravy.jpg
Up here the gravy is brown, bones. I'm not kidding you. You should see what they call nachos. Or maybe you shouldn't, actually.
I make white and brown gravy. But I got tangled up with Yankees and they won't eat it.

Hamburger Gravy Recipe

white-gravy.jpg

Funny. My mom made gravy both ways, depending on what it was for. Chicken fried steak, creamed beef, she used a white gravy. Roast beef or roast turkey, the gravy was brown. I think it depended upon how long the main course took to cook. Quick-cooked things seem to take a white gravy. At least that's how it seemed to work out.

Blasphemy!
Yup. I love beans of all kinds, but the older I get, the less they love me. It's absolutely worth the pain sometimes though. Especially good heirloom beans like Marafax or King of the Early or Jacobs Cattle. Made with a good big half pound hunk of salt pork and not a whole lot else. They're not supposed to be candy sweet and they're supposed to have juice, not stuck together with starch.
Sorry- can you tell I love baked beans? LOL

Hamburger Gravy Recipe

white-gravy.jpg

Funny. My mom made gravy both ways, depending on what it was for. Chicken fried steak, creamed beef, she used a white gravy. Roast beef or roast turkey, the gravy was brown. I think it depended upon how long the main course took to cook. Quick-cooked things seem to take a white gravy. At least that's how it seemed to work out.

Same in my family. Pot roast dark gravy, chicken fried steak white gravy etc.

Blasphemy!
Yup. I love beans of all kinds, but the older I get, the less they love me. It's absolutely worth the pain sometimes though. Especially good heirloom beans like Marafax or King of the Early or Jacobs Cattle. Made with a good big half pound hunk of salt pork and not a whole lot else. They're not supposed to be candy sweet and they're supposed to have juice, not stuck together with starch.

My baked beans could give you cavities. Molasses, brown sugar, and maple syrup.

Blasphemy!
Yes, I do too, I buy it in the can since I'm the only one that eats them.. I make a pot of brown beans for cornbread and fried tater and then use the leftovers for burritos.

Hamburger Gravy Recipe

white-gravy.jpg

Different pothead :lol:

Blasphemy!

My baked beans could give you cavities. Molasses, brown sugar, and maple syrup.
Yum I love sweet baked beans.

Mine are brown sugar, ketchup, onions, mustard, more brown sugar, molasses if I have it, more brown sugar...pepper, salt, bacon if I have it, but fine without it. Bake it for a looong time.

It's like candy.

Hamburger Gravy Recipe

white-gravy.jpg

Different pothead :lol:
OMG. When I confuse KG and bones, it's time to sign off, for sure.

Blasphemy!
Yes, I do too, I buy it in the can since I'm the only one that eats them.. I make a pot of brown beans for cornbread and fried tater and then use the leftovers for burritos.
I rarely make them any more for the same reason. Makes too much and it's not the same after they're frozen. When my Dad was dying, I drove out and started him a big potful of his favorites in a slow cooker while we were at the hospital. He died before they were done, dammit. He loved heirloom beans and he said he wanted some. But you can't snap your fingers and have them. They take all day.

Forum List

Back