Classic S.O.S. White Gravy Roast Beef Chips and Toast

My mother made all of the above, A white sauce with whatever served over toast, biscuits, or potatoes. Sometimes even lightly stirring in some eggs that would cook into chunks and served over toast.

Does anybody know where this originated, like a country or region. I am sure my mother did not get it from the military.
Sausage gravy over biscuits? Or is that a Maine thing, too?
nope

Dad always served his sausage gravy over homemade biscuits
What state was he from?

My mother made all of the above, A white sauce with whatever served over toast, biscuits, or potatoes. Sometimes even lightly stirring in some eggs that would cook into chunks and served over toast.

Does anybody know where this originated, like a country or region. I am sure my mother did not get it from the military.
Don't know. My mother was born in Montana but moved to Ohio before getting married. Her mother was Pennsylvania Dutch. Ohio is as east as we have ever lived.
Well if you've been as far east as Ohio and lived further west, and you've never heard of sausage gravy over biscuits, I'm wondering if it's a Maine thing. Because I never heard of it before moving here. It looks like puke on a plate and I tried it once and it was NOT any good. At all.
It looks like puke on a plate
agreed

it was NOT any good.

My opinion, it was the cooks fault

nope

Dad always served his sausage gravy over homemade biscuits
What state was he from?
Ohio

Don't know. My mother was born in Montana but moved to Ohio before getting married. Her mother was Pennsylvania Dutch. Ohio is as east as we have ever lived.
Well if you've been as far east as Ohio and lived further west, and you've never heard of sausage gravy over biscuits, I'm wondering if it's a Maine thing. Because I never heard of it before moving here. It looks like puke on a plate and I tried it once and it was NOT any good. At all.
We had sausage gravy over biscuits a lot. I love it. It might be how it is made. Some people use corn starch instead of flour, Yuk.

Get it anytime I go to one of their restaurants
biscuits_gravy_fallfy17.jpg

Bob Evans Sausage Gravy & Biscuits
A cup of our famous sausage gravy served with two fresh-from-the-oven buttermilk biscuits.

This isn't too far from sausage gravy over biscuits they serve at the diner. I wonder if that's where the cooks in the service got it from?
Cooks in the service also invented Chop Suey (American goulash in upstate New York)

Sounds good. I will have to try it. I mean the recipe Yios posted.
View attachment 126471
Yup, they still sell it.

Thanks. I'm looking at recipes for Mother's day. My mom likes petit fours but they look like a lot of work to make. I think whole foods sells them. :lol:

This isn't too far from sausage gravy over biscuits they serve at the diner. I wonder if that's where the cooks in the service got it from?
Cooks in the service also invented Chop Suey (American goulash in upstate New York)

View attachment 126471
Yup, they still sell it.

Thanks. I'm looking at recipes for Mother's day. My mom likes petit fours but they look like a lot of work to make. I think whole foods sells them. :lol:
Petit fours? OMG. YES they're a lot of work and then some! Whole Foods sounds like a good plan.
I do love them, though.

View attachment 126471
Yup, they still sell it.

Petit fours? OMG. YES they're a lot of work and then some! Whole Foods sounds like a good plan.
I do love them, though.

They are hard to find locally even at bakeries but whole foods has them. So I guess that is what she's getting.

View attachment 126471
Yup, they still sell it.

I do love them, though.

They are hard to find locally even at bakeries but whole foods has them. So I guess that is what she's getting.
They're hard to find because they're so time consuming to make. All those layers, two or three kinds of filling, then the coating. I know you're a cook, so if you do make them some day, let us know. The fanciest I ever attempted was a yule log.

Diner style Dried chip beef was always my favorite version. One can replace milk with Soy milk as it creams up when boiled and with some of that fine gravy flour, makes a good cream sauce for the chipped beef.
Haven't found a good dried chip beef brand however to make it myself.
The frozen pouches are too salty and horrible, & the jar dried beef slices you cut yourself just isn't the same either.

My dad was Navy and we always called it sh.t on a shingle. I've made my own with the jarred chipped beef, and usually put it over biscuits, but sometimes toast. Love it when the weather is cold. For sausage gravy I use JImmy Dean's hot sausage , and eat it over biscuits. Bob Evans is good for this, went there a lot with my mom and step dad. Anyone else tried Stouffers Cream Chipped beef? Not bad if you are in a hurry.

biscuits and gravy are like filet mignon compared to shit on a shingle

no one calls sausage gravy over biscuits shit on a biscuit

I feel nauseous just reading the thread. We were served shit on the shingle in the Coast Guard. It looked like puke and didn't taste much better. I opted out early on and had toast or whatever.

I feel nauseous just reading the thread. We were served shit on the shingle in the Coast Guard. It looked like puke and didn't taste much better. I opted out early on and had toast or whatever.
Yeah I will eat it but it's not my favorite thing ever.

Shit on a shingle is supposed to be gravy made with canned or dried sliced beef (I think that is what they call "chipped beef") that they got in the service, and that families used to get as surplus.

Mom made us the version with chipped beef like once I think...we ate it on toast, it was okay, nothing super duper fab.

Generally speaking she made hamburger gravy or any other kind of gravy with every single supper and often at breakfast too..and often it wasn't even hamburger gravy, it was just beautiful white gravy made with bacon drippings...it was white and amazing, always. You ate that stuff on EVERYTHING. Bread, meat, potatoes, vegetables...I think it would be good on fucking cake.

I make good gravy but not as consistently amazing as mom's.

I'm making hamburger gravy tonight...and baked tatoes.

Creamed Chipped Beef Recipe - Food.com

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13769/hamburger-gravy/

No, but chipped beef on toast doesn't look like shit on a biscuit either. Sausage gravy looks like vomit.

Yeah I will eat it but it's not my favorite thing ever.

Shit on a shingle is supposed to be gravy made with canned or dried sliced beef (I think that is what they call "chipped beef") that they got in the service, and that families used to get as surplus.

Mom made us the version with chipped beef like once I think...we ate it on toast, it was okay, nothing super duper fab.

Generally speaking she made hamburger gravy or any other kind of gravy with every single supper and often at breakfast too..and often it wasn't even hamburger gravy, it was just beautiful white gravy made with bacon drippings...it was white and amazing, always. You ate that stuff on EVERYTHING. Bread, meat, potatoes, vegetables...I think it would be good on fucking cake.

I make good gravy but not as consistently amazing as mom's.

I'm making hamburger gravy tonight...and baked tatoes.

Creamed Chipped Beef Recipe - Food.com

Hamburger Gravy Recipe
Was she from the south? I went to Missouri once and at the diner for breakfast they served this little cup of white -- looked to me like wall paper paste -- with my grits. When I asked the waitress she looked at me in genuine shock and surprise and said Why, that's gravy! Never saw white gravy before or since.

For anyone who worked for Uncle Sam and ate at the cafeterias, you know about the classic breakfast food called S.O.S. or in other words White Gravy with Roast Beef Chips over Toast.

Here is my own recipe for it:

Mix in a pint container per serving desired:

1 oz vegie oil

1 cup milk

1/4 teas. salt

1/4 teas. pepper

1/4 cup flour

After beating this together, pour it into a greased/oiled pan and bring it to a boil while stirring. If it becomes too thick add hot water from the tap to thin it to the desired consistency.

Reduce the heat and add chips of roast beef from your fridge.

Also add some frozen vegies.

Cover and bring slowly to a boil again.

Turn off the heat.

Toast 2 slices of bread per serving, place these toasted in a big bowl, then pour the S.O.S. mixture over the bread.

This is a hearty breakfast with several food groups in it --

- meat

- milk (not kosher if you're Jewish, sorry)

- vegies

- carbs

- oil (lipids).

If you have fruit juice with it that is yet another food group -- fruits.

I usually have iced tea however, for a lite caffeine boost.

One serving is very hearty and will get you to lunch without any hunger. The beef makes the meal last 6 hours until you are hungry again.

You can also make this with fried ground beef, as long as you fry the ground beef first separately, before you add the gravy mix. I like chipped roast beef better though. This is all part of my strategy to use up a roast I baked last night. This is the breakfast portion of the roast beef.

I am having this now as we speak/write/read.

Enjoy !!

I love the Army menu who calls it "Creme De Beef On Toast" and is made with ground beef. The troops call it SOS. (Shit On a Shingle)

The Navy makes it with dried chipped beef and the sailors call it "Foreskins on Toast." Whatever.

I'll be in Ft Hood at the 1st Cav Reunion June 7-10. Everyone looks forward to a breakfast provided by the active duty troops that includes plenty of SOS and fried eggs. Yummy!
Wish I could go.

No, but chipped beef on toast doesn't look like shit on a biscuit either. Sausage gravy looks like vomit.
Blasphemy!

Forum List

Back