Clapping banned at Oxford University to stop people being triggered

Clapping banned at Oxford University to stop people being triggered | Metro News

Students at the University of Oxford have voted to ‘replace clapping’ with a silent wave because it ‘could trigger anxiety’. They are instead being told to use ‘jazz hands’, where they wave their hands in the air. The motion to ‘mandate the encouragement of silent clapping’ was successfully passed by the university’s student union officers, following their first meeting of the year on Tuesday. It will come apply at student union events, and if successful, rolled out to other societies and events.

What an uplifting story. In a hard hearted world we seem to be coming more thoughtful in many ways.

My own football club, the mighty Wrexham, has an autism friendly section of the ground. Youngsters with autism sit in a quieter area of the ground and are given ear defenders amongst other things. it is much appreciated.

One WWII German division could conquer all of Europe inside of 2 weeks

It never ceases to amaze me the length that progressives will go to, to offend 99.5% of us in order to appease .5% of the population.

Cheering and clapping for your "mighty" football team Wrexham shouldn't be much of an issue for a squad that is 21st out of 24 teams.
I imagine there is very, very little to applaud and cheer about.
A loser team for a loser individual. How appropriate.

Oxford is now more "inclusive" except for all the people who feel like idiots doing the "jazz hands"
thing when they wish to be applauding like the other 99.9% of the people in the world.
Their anxiety at appearing and feeling so idiotic doesn't seem to matter to the Oxford students council, or whatever group approved this lunacy.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me the length that progressives will go to, to offend 99.5% of us in order to appease .5% of the population.
How are you offended by this ?

I'm offended that my appropriate behavior is being banned because a couple people in the room can't deal with it.

Or, in this case it may be that people who come up with these sort of rules, simply assume there are those in the room that can't deal with it.

I'm also offended that we are creating a future of individuals that have been so pampered and protected, they are clueless when adversity comes along how to handle it.

Preparing young people for the future, not only includes an education, but also includes preparing them for a world that is NOT a giant safe space.

I'm offended that my appropriate behavior is being banned because a couple people in the room can't deal with it.

Or, in this case it may be that people who come up with these sort of rules, simply assume there are those in the room that can't deal with it.

I'm also offended that we are creating a future of individuals that have been so pampered and protected, they are clueless when adversity comes along how to handle it.

Preparing young people for the future, not only includes an education, but also includes preparing them for a world that is NOT a giant safe space.
The left is a living example of Munchausen Syndrome on a grand scale. Not only in this issue
but transsexualism and other maladies of the mind and personality. https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/munchausen-by-proxy#1

The left wing needs people who are crippled and thought to be riddled with anxiety (like the sound of applause, for God's sake) so they, the left, gain attention and credit, for taking up the cause of people they encourage and need to be sick to
gain political power and attention for themselves. It's literally sick!

When people say the left is mentally unstable this is what they are talking about.

That is an incredibly selfish and ignorant stance that shows a lack of empathy for people around you. I actually feel sorry for you.

That is an incredibly selfish and ignorant stance that shows a lack of empathy for people around you. I actually feel sorry for you.

Oh please. What's selfish is for one or two people in a crowded room expect that everyone around them bend to their demands.

Forum List

Back