Clapping banned at Oxford University to stop people being triggered

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Clapping banned at Oxford University to stop people being triggered | Metro News

Students at the University of Oxford have voted to ‘replace clapping’ with a silent wave because it ‘could trigger anxiety’. They are instead being told to use ‘jazz hands’, where they wave their hands in the air. The motion to ‘mandate the encouragement of silent clapping’ was successfully passed by the university’s student union officers, following their first meeting of the year on Tuesday. It will come apply at student union events, and if successful, rolled out to other societies and events.

What an uplifting story. In a hard hearted world we seem to be coming more thoughtful in many ways.

My own football club, the mighty Wrexham, has an autism friendly section of the ground. Youngsters with autism sit in a quieter area of the ground and are given ear defenders amongst other things. it is much appreciated.

Too funny

15073506_1251238001563005_1849048550490870246_n.jpg

Clapping banned at Oxford University to stop people being triggered | Metro News

Students at the University of Oxford have voted to ‘replace clapping’ with a silent wave because it ‘could trigger anxiety’. They are instead being told to use ‘jazz hands’, where they wave their hands in the air. The motion to ‘mandate the encouragement of silent clapping’ was successfully passed by the university’s student union officers, following their first meeting of the year on Tuesday. It will come apply at student union events, and if successful, rolled out to other societies and events.

What an uplifting story. In a hard hearted world we seem to be coming more thoughtful in many ways.

My own football club, the mighty Wrexham, has an autism friendly section of the ground. Youngsters with autism sit in a quieter area of the ground and are given ear defenders amongst other things. it is much appreciated.

It's hard to believe you people almost ruled the entire planet at one point.

Using the same science these idiots use to say there is no such thing as biological sex, you can absolutely also make an argument that pigs and humans are one animal.
That is how freaking retarded these people are.

You know Tommy, I have hazel eyes with a higher than average gold streaks in them. This phenomena (both hazel and significant gold coloration) less than 1% of the population has this.
Sounds cool, but having such a bright colorization really means I have almost no melanin in those streaks.And that means significant sensitivity to bright lights.
Having said all of this, I would not expect every where I go - lights should be turned down so I am comfortable.
I guess I am just not a jerk in that way.

Myrtle Beach gets it. Why do you idiots not get it ?

Myrtle Beach is the US's Autism Friendly Destination

That's great, truly. Myrtle Beach is a great day trip. The participating establishments are to lauded for their work and I hope their examples lead to even more participation. And they didn't have to ban clapping to accomplish this inclusiveness...

I suppose we're a more advanced society than you limeys...

Myrtle Beach gets it. Why do you idiots not get it ?

Myrtle Beach is the US's Autism Friendly Destination

That's great, truly. Myrtle Beach is a great day trip. The participating establishments are to lauded for their work and I hope their examples lead to even more participation. And they didn't have to ban clapping to accomplish this inclusiveness...

I suppose we're a more advanced society than you limeys...
I think it would be difficult to ban in an environment you do not control. But as you say its a great effort by that community.

Now Now are they going to turn off the light ?

Well I suppose we are a more considerate society than you colonials.

Exposing an entire generation to radial osteopathy and carpal tunnel by forcing them to express approval through 'jazz hands' isn't what I would call considerate.

:auiqs.jpg: That's hilarious. That could be a Monty Python sketch.

Social conventions develop through acceptance by society at large.

The handshake started as a gesture to mutually reassure each other we were not armed.

The salute was a gesture for soldiers in armor to identify each other.

The high-five is a spontaneous gesture that is fun to do and became accepted, over time, by society at large.

If you have to ban a universally accepted gesture to force the adoption of a politically inspired affectation, it will always be ridiculed by society at large.

Forum List

Back