Civility in Politics

If peopel are truely tired of the incivility all wwe have to do is agree to sstop being uncivil

we could make it very simple.

No personal acttacks.

You cant say You are an asswink with a smelly pussy.

You can say those facts are suscpicious because they come from a partisan source.

Takes no passion out of it.

It does take the childish unproductive crap out of the debate.

Unless YOU are willing to be civil yourself you have NO right to worry about the incivilty of others.

Sorry, Truth.

That sort of thing would be sustainable in a particular forum.....but not as a general rule. If I denied myself the pleasure of insulting some of the idiots who hang out here, I'd not be inclined to stick around.

Scalia and Ginsberg were each approved with I think 90+ Senate votes each.

Once Teddy Kennedy paid Anita Hill to come forward and lie about Clarence Thomas all bets were off. Kennedy himself could lie about Bork, I think that was understandable coming from someone who murdered his pregnant girlfriend, but when he paid someone to lie -- that's too much.

So no takers for a civility pledge?

I don't want civility. Civility was not a part of this nations founding, nor was it a characteristic of the founders. I much prefer a passionate debater to a bunch of mice to represent me.

Mike
Real history too inconvenient? I guess it's time to rewrite it to suit your argument!

The trouble with that is, mickey, that there are too many smart people here to fool with such nonsense. Read a little, grow up a lot and report back once you have found what truth and integrity and civility are.

At some point the rhetoric of incivility will have to stop and something else be done. It already isn't working. People who scream insults at one another over the back fence will only assure that they will continue to scream at each other over the back fence.

I am hoping that this summer it kicks up into the next level.

At some point the rhetoric of incivility will have to stop and something else be done. It already isn't working. People who scream insults at one another over the back fence will only assure that they will continue to scream at each other over the back fence.

Why sit there hoping? Get out there and get it started yourself, tough guy.

I think you might just be afraid of gettin' an ass whoopin'.

So you want something you yourself acknowledge as not working to intensify?

Q.E.D. The Conservative mind set.

A fight which the stupids on the far wack right will find themselves at the end lined up on a wall.

Get talking stupid, katz.

I SINCERELY and honestly hope that all the leftists feel the way you do. It is time to bring this to an end.

katz, you and the leftists are in the small minority on this. You will lose anything you try to start. End of story.

So no takers for a civility pledge?

I don't want civility. Civility was not a part of this nations founding, nor was it a characteristic of the founders. I much prefer a passionate debater to a bunch of mice to represent me.

Mike
Real history too inconvenient? I guess it's time to rewrite it to suit your argument!

The trouble with that is, mickey, that there are too many smart people here to fool with such nonsense. Read a little, grow up a lot and report back once you have found what truth and integrity and civility are.

Really? There are reports of fist fights during the ratification debates. On top of that, revolutionary advocates were forced to transmit portions of their messages in cypher because they feared that loyalists were intercepting their transmissions. Hamilton was a firey orator and Burr was not his first fight in politics. Jefferson wrote a letter and addressed him as a bastard (Hamilton's parents were not married when when he was born but it was still not proper to point that out). Patrick Henry? Have you read anything about him? I suggest you read Jeffersons notes on the convention at philidelphia. Read about the various insults hurled between Madison and Mason.

I didn't pick my history from some guy talking 200 years later, all of my history comes directly from the pens of those involved. Yours was spoon fed to you from the "great minds" of the past. In summary, you know nothing that they did not teach you which means you know nothing on your own. I'll give you the reading list I have developed if you are so inclined but I seriously doubt you will take it upon yourself to look back at what really happened. The fairy tale you learned in school is so much more civil.

Mike

texanmike is spoonfeeding himself only those portions of the Founders with which he agrees.

This is called an indulgement in bias, and always results in the indulgee, to wit, one texanmike, looking rather ridiculous.

still no takers on a civility pledge?

No one is even adult enough to TRY?????

I'm experienced enough to know it won't work. If you are so convicted about your politics then you will not remain civil. Instead, it is better to spend all of your effort to remain logical, civility be damned.

Mike

texanmike is spoonfeeding himself only those portions of the Founders with which he agrees.

This is called an indulgement in bias, and always results in the indulgee, to wit, one texanmike, looking rather ridiculous.

I have a bias, certainly. I tend to side with the anti-federalists. That does not mean I have not read the other side. I am at least aware of both sides of history. Do you think the Republicans (as they called themselves, not the present day party) history is accurately represented in your history books? Of course it is not. From the moment Marshall took his seat on the bench it was pretty much assured that the federalists would be hailed as the heros of the ratification.

And, for the record, a lot of my views in the world changes after reading what I read. I was a staunch conservative growing up. It wasn't until I started reading commentary by Jefferson and John Taylor that I moved towards liberarianism. My political compas is probably not permenantly set, I still have a reading list which grows almost daily. On it are about 30 books I have yet been able to find or had the time to read.

Mike

Last edited:

Forum List

Back