Civil War not about slavery?!?!

Discussion in 'History' started by konradv, Apr 14, 2011.

1. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,659
    It is not safe ... to trust $800 million worth of Negroes in the hands of a power which says that we do not own the property. ... So we must get out ..." — The Daily Constitutionalist, Augusta, Ga., Dec. 1, 1860

"[Northerners] have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery. ... We, therefore, the people of South Carolina ... have solemnly declared that the Union heretofore existing between this State and other States of North America dissolved." — from "Declaration of the Causes of Secession"

"As long as slavery is looked upon by the North with abhorrence ... there can be no satisfactory political union between the two sections." — New Orleans Bee, Dec. 14, 1860

"Our new government is founded upon ... the great truth that the Negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race is his natural and moral condition." — Alexander Stephens, vice president of the Confederacy, March 21, 1861

Leonard Pitts: What was the Civil War about? Listen to voices of the Confederacy - baltimoresun.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

~Abraham Lincoln

Lies my teacher told me: everything ... - Google Books

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Like most modern wars the root cause was pure economics.

In this case it was the economics of slavery.

Sans the capital invested in slaves, the South was broke, and they know that was eventually going to happen if they stayed in the Union.

The war was not motivated by states rights, nor were tariffs the primary concern of the seccessionists.

It was all about their inevitable bankruptsy if they lose their value of their slaves.

We ought to have found some way to prevent it. Perhaps purchasing the slaves freedom would have worked, but the aristos which ran the South were very comfortable running a feudal society and did not want to join the rest of mankind that was shedding that kind of now very far outdated societal contract for the modern capitalistic social contract that was developing not only in the North but in most of the rest of Europe, too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  4. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,659
    What's your point? The Confederate states obviously left over slavery per the OP. Lincoln wanted to save the Union in anyway possible, but that doesn't change the underlying cause of the war. The quote, while interesting, is basically irrelevant on that point.

5. Truthseeker420

Truthseeker420 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Would the Southern States had stayed in the union the noth offered to compensate the south for ending slavery?

6. JWBooth

JWBooth Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,957
    As compensated enfranchisement was never considered we will never know. It was successful elsewhere. Those places that did it didn't have the added problem of one section using tariff policies to enrich itself at the expense of the other.

7. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    The point is that slavery wasn't the central issue....Lincoln's ego was.

8. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,659
    Goofiness only gets you so far. Now you're just getting boring. Funny who thanked you for the post. If you want to shill for that side more power to you, I don't have the time for that kind foolishness.

9. JWBooth

JWBooth Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,957
    A problem which an actor cured for him on this date in 1865.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It wasn't about slavery. BUT .... why didn't you just comment on one of the many threads on this topic already here?

How many times do we have to fight this damned war, anyway?

I've already made note of the fact that there are those who know the actual facts that created the war, and there are those that choose to willfully blind themselves thinking the war was fought over slaves.